Old 12-05-2012, 02:15 PM   #41

We travel with it on. Usually turn on 2 days before we leave, fill it up the night before we pull out, and never think about it. We asked around when we bought the first TT and were told most leave it on, exception being going through tunnels in some states that have pull off to turn the propane off before entering then pull offs to turn it back on after. Our experience is when we turn it off to shut it down when arriving home, it takes a day and a half to turn off as it takes minimal propane to run.

Old 12-05-2012, 04:50 PM   #42
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnleann View Post
Like most others, I turn fridge on at least one day ahead and leave on while traveling down the road. I do however turn off fridge when I get gas for my TV. Would hate to have the spark from the fridge ignitor light off some fumes. Pull through the fuel island and then turn the fridge back on.
X-2

Old 12-05-2012, 05:21 PM   #43
Mod free 5er

Need to understand also that gas fumes are heavier than air and are close to the ground. Refrigerators are usually at least 36" above ground plus there is usually a slight breeze so we have never even thought about turning off the propane to the refrigerator while fueling the truck which is at least 25' from the refrigerator.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:39 PM   #44
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

No offense OLD COOT, I just want it off at the pumps, I just turn the gas off, get filled up at the pumps and pull away from the Island, then turn the gas back on. Not a big deal just makes me feel better with an extra margin of safety... It's a good thing... JUST ME.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:57 PM   #45

I physically go into the TT and push the one little button that says off/on. That way it won't try to light when getting fuel. Pull forward clear of the pumps and just go back inside and push the little button again. Easier than lifting the plastic cover off of the tanks for me, and I know that the propane flow is not happening with the turned fridge off. Just an extra level of safety like Gray Fox.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:44 PM   #46

Trailers for many years the electric/propane fridge is what I want and one reason is to leave on while traveling. Nothing better then nice cold beer after I push all the buttons for self leveling, slides and awning then beer. Travel safe
Old 01-04-2013, 03:11 PM   #47
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Just me but, I keep my beer in iced down in the cooler. CHEERS !!!!!!!
Old 01-04-2013, 03:58 PM   #48

Our fridge stays on the entire camping season, at home, on the road, and while camping. Just one less thing to forget to do before a trip.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:53 PM   #49

And.. what if... you are re-fueling diesel...how much danger would there be.. if the fridge was still on propane then ?
Old 01-04-2013, 05:03 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayfox View Post
No offense OLD COOT, I just want it off at the pumps, I just turn the gas off, get filled up at the pumps and pull away from the Island, then turn the gas back on. Not a big deal just makes me feel better with an extra margin of safety... It's a good thing... JUST ME.
Maybe my understanding of the system is flawed here but wouldn't this instantly create the exact situation you DON'T want? If the gas is cut off, wouldn't the automatic ignition system kick in and try to light the pilot back up? I didn't think the big deal here was burning propane, I thought it was the spark from the ignition system. I guess the flame would be considered a bad thing too. In my eyes the only thing that would prevent the whole scenario would be hitting the off button on the fridge itself.

For the record, I travel with mine on. It is on the opposite side of the gas tank filler on the truck. I realize I am not the only one filling up with gas but it is pretty far back there.