Old 01-04-2013, 04:55 PM   #51
phat phrog stunt crew
turn it on auto 24 hrs before leaving, get it nice and cold and load fridge before traveling. travel with fridge on, and dont shut it off till we get ready to leave campground provided we have finished all our perishables (usually have).

i think the bigger question should be, of all rv's large and small running the highways/byways, what is the percentage of those that make it safely to/from their destination as compared to those that dont?

terrible maintainance? maybe. fluke accident? also possible. is it sad that it happened? not really if nobody hurt or killed as they are making more as i type. isnt that why we carry insurance on them?

dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:25 PM   #52
itch'n to road trip
Wow... beening rving and camping for years...YEARS!! My dad always traveled with the refridge on (as I do)...filled up with gasoline a gazillion times and nothing happened. I am more afraid of the clown with the cig dangling from his mouth pumping gas than my refridge. Guess it could happen... but than again a asteroid could fall from the sky and kill us all too.

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4 "Mae West"
2014 Work & Play 25ULA "Ula"
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight & Valor
Jasper Ga. -
Nights camped Not Enough 2014: 8 2015: 2
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:54 PM   #53
We have ours hooked up and on several days before going out, slowly putting things in. I do a check with it on propane only, to make sure it works before heading out. Just before pulling out of the drive, I flip it to propane. Leave it on most of the time while traveling to and from the campsite. Most of the time I have the truck full of fuel before even hooking up to the trailer and never have to refuel again before getting back home on some trips. We did refuel going on our big trip this past Sept. I stopped for fuel and noticed a fellow smoking a cigarette not far from some of the pumps. I hot refueled the helicopter I flew on all the time in Vietnam at the POL. No one shut down. In my later years I refueled C130 aircraft all the time at our base or on trips. We used the APU to power the aircraft many times during refuel and defuel. Never had a problem.
2009 Palomino Puma 25RS
2007 Chevrolet Silverado
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Mark and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:50 PM   #54
Oklahoma Proud
Fuel to air ratio will be so diluted at even 2' from a fuel nosel, that ignition with almost anything would be impossible inless it was in extremely close proximity( inches). I would be more concerned about someones old hot rod back firing than a rv fridge.
- I weld and grind on vehicles everyday, with fuel tanks and lines within mm and inches sometimes and don't have problems and neither has anybody I have ever worked with.

We can live in fear of anything but in the end, it doesn't change reality or physics for that matter.

So lets go camping and have some fun! Beers on me!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:22 PM   #55
Very well put. It just takes using some common sense to safely get through our day to day activities or we can just sit on the couch and do nothing for fear of being hurt by any and everything. At certain times of the year (low humidity) there is a greater risk of creating a static spark just getting in and out of your car that would cause a greater chance of igniting fumes than your camper fridge. You could slide out of your car, grab the gas pump nozzle and a static spark could happen. You create the static charge by your pants rubbing on the seat. Your shoes are rubber (non-conductive), the concrete you walk on is non conductive and you touch a metal gas nozzle which is grounded and ZAP a static discharge. Nobody seems to be worried about that happening. The car/gas industry does not require us to wear a grounding strap when we exit our vehicles to fuel up yet do they??? How about the guy who fills your propane tank. Do you see him/her using a grounding strap and yet when the tank fills up it belches flammable fumes like crazy. COMMON SENSE CAN GO ALONG WAY IN THIS WORLD. THERE ARE TO MANY LAWYERS LOOKING FOR WORK

TeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:04 PM   #56
phat phrog stunt crew
used to do those quick turns/hot refuels while in the air force at kadena. nothing like having a jet engine screaming while loading weapons/ammo and pumping 2700 gallons into an f15 at the same time. ahhh, good times
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:39 PM   #57
I've been to a campground with a guy who had a smoke hanging out of his mouth while filling propane tanks.
wneise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:56 AM   #58
Turn ours on a cpl days before we head out, fill the fridge and turn it off when travelling down the road. The_Filly & I are not big drinkers and usually have a cooler full of pop with a few "wobbly" pops covered in ice
Night_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:37 AM   #59
BTW, jet fuel is more akin to diesel than gasoline. It doesn't vaporize like gas so it is safer to use around running engines. Btw, at passenger airports, have you ever notice the proximity of the fueling rig to other running vehicles?
wneise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:27 AM   #60
Bad things can happen, no matter what. BUT, reasonable prevention is to get your propane system pressure checked each year, which you can do yourself or at a local RV shop.

Wisconsin to Oklahoma and everywhere else I can eventually get to!
BarabooDad is offline   Reply With Quote