Old 03-08-2014, 08:10 AM   #31
It just depends of what level of risk we all want to accept. Never had any issues but next time out ??? Do we turn the water off at night in the camper it could leak & I would sleep through it. No. Slept through a tornado years ago.

Never had a leak but it could. Have had more leaks in the house I had to replace all the copper pipe due to pin hole leaks. The hot water heater leaked once all over (We were home & it made a nice little river in the basement) it was 25 years old. (& no I never drain it) The current one is well over 10 years old. We leave the water on at home so the animals left behind can be watered.

We can go outside & a plane could fall out of the sky, could get struck by lightning, a tree could fall on us, even could be run over by a crazed golf car driver but we still go outside....

I guess I am one of the people that will not turn the water off when gone until it happens.......but then I will just forget to turn it off.........I have alot of senior moments What ever works for you is best.........

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2013 Puma Unleashed 356 QLB
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:17 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus
If gone for more than an hour or so, we turn the water off at the campsite hydrant.

We also turn the home water off when we leave on a trip, plus non-essential circuit breakers.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2006 Ford F150 Super Cab 4x4
2008 Surveyor 263
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:39 AM   #33
Yep...I always turn off the water, HWHeater and if we are using the FW Tank the pump as well.
2011 Coachmen Catalina 28DDS
2015 Ram Bighorn 2500 6.4L
Nights Camped 2015: 28
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:46 AM   #34
Occasionally I have done so in the past. A few years ago my wife left the water running in a small tub that the travel trailer had. When we returned after a day away from the trailer the tub was one quarter inch from overflowing. The 40 gallon gray tank was full then started to fill the tub. I was lucky that day to find it before it overflowed.
2005 Ford F-250 6.0 Diesel
2013 Sierra 365saq
ezawacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:19 AM   #35
I try to remember every time we leave, if it will be awhile. In 2010 while camping with friends we all left for lunch and touring around. Their new, active, small dog had jumped onto the kitchen counter and moved the arm lever of the kitchen faucet turning it on. We all returned several hours later and they noticed a posted note on their TT telling them to call the office. ( It had been raining so the wet ground was not a clue). Prior to calling,they open the door to a overly flooded TT.

The neighbor got annoyed after an hour of dog barking (rightfully so) and had walked over to speak about the dog and noticed water pouring out the door. He shut the outside water off and notified the office.

Our camping buddy is a gentle giant but was rightfully pissed off! While we were all working to clean up this mess, a separate neighbor walked over who looked a little upset. I intercepted this guy and he wanted to know who "owned the barking dog". I explained the circumstances, and suggested the dog may have been barking at the TT flooding. He continued to only worry about his nap being interrupted (believe me, I also dislike a barking dog) but told the guy I understood, but he was now risking physical offered him a drink (refused).

It takes only seconds to turn off the outside water.......I do try and remember.
2012 Ford F-150 Ecoboost, Screw, H/D, 3.73
1930 lbs CCC
2010 Flagstaff 26 RLSS (Sold 05/16)
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:43 PM   #36
As one ounce of prevention!!!iIt takes 2 seconds to turn off the water and 2 days to clean it up if you don't. And, Yes...if space junk fell into the atmosphere it wouldn't hit me but would land on our TT. My my job is to create good luck rather than wait for bad luck to happen!
Chuck and Joanne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite Classic 27RLWS Emerald
2013 Dodge 2500 4x4 Laramie Crew
Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
Slympicins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:13 PM   #37
I'm glad to see more of you turn your water off than those that don't when you leave.

I guess those that leave their water on don't ever burn their biscuits!

Yeah, a water leak can happen when you are there or at night when you are asleep but at least you may be able to catch it before it gets too late.

I just don't like borrowing trouble.

I also don't trust anything man has made to last forever.
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:43 PM   #38
Always turn water off (when I remember) when we leave trailer unattended, i.e. going for walk, shopping etc. At home just turn switch off on the well pump when gone for more than a day.
Of all the things I've lost in my life the thing I miss the most is my mind!
prairiecamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:18 AM   #39
Always, had bad toilet valve can back to big mess but minor damage. No reason to tempt the gods.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Dennis and Julie
2012 Flagstaff 30WFKSS
2006 Chevy Silverado 1500
2002 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
2013 nights reserved/camped 46/71
2014 nights reserved/camped 6/21
Dennis and Julie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:55 AM   #40
Sounds like a good ideal to turn the water off. Guess i need to install a switch inside to turn the water heater on in electric mode so i dont have to go ouside and open the access panel.
Sure seems like it would not have costed that much to have a switch wired inside to turn on electric mode from the factory

2013 Ram 1500 (5.7)
2014 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
Prothos is offline   Reply With Quote