Old 06-16-2016, 10:18 AM   #31

Mr. Dan, I didn't know you could use a Genie on the road. So are you saying as long as you take the MAIN box on the road you can use the Genie. If so, then upgrading to the Genie system was the reason I didn't want to upgrade my entire system at home.

Old 06-16-2016, 11:06 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
Sorry. What is a "LARRED CONNECTION"?
auto correction failure

The new toy hauler - 2016 Ford F150 Supercrew XTR ECOBOOST.
MilCop4523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 11:46 AM   #33
Site Team

Does anyone use a satellite dish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfieldh View Post
Mr. Dan, I didn't know you could use a Genie on the road. So are you saying as long as you take the MAIN box on the road you can use the Genie. If so, then upgrading to the Genie system was the reason I didn't want to upgrade my entire system at home.
DIRECTV peddler told me I could so I do. Works great!
Yes, I take the Main box and a mini.

Nights Camped: 2013 = 49 / 2014 = 74 / 2015 = 74 / 2016 = 85 / 2017 = 00; booked = 14
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 03:53 PM   #34

Joey or Hopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by W5CI View Post
I have the Dish Network TailGater which I use with a dish Receiver taken from my home, this combo results in no Extra charges per month, when I return home I just plug the receiver back up here at home.
Which receiver do you take from home the Joey or the Hopper, I'm guessing it's the Hopper because the Joey depends on it.

Is this correct?

Thank You!
Old 06-16-2016, 07:03 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avan View Post
Which receiver do you take from home the Joey or the Hopper, I'm guessing it's the Hopper because the Joey depends on it. You would have to use a stationary dish like the one at your house.

Is this correct?

Thank You!
Tailgater does not work with the hopper system. Unfortunately. You can Google for the list of receivers that it does work with. You would have to use a stationary dish like the one at your house.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 07:59 AM   #36

Does anyone use the Winneguard G2 Direc TV dome satellite. It seems to get great ratings.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:32 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by OswegoLion View Post
Does anyone use the Winneguard G2 Direc TV dome satellite. It seems to get great ratings.
In case you are not aware, this portable "dome" dish (and ALL other DirecTV compatible "dome" dishes) only receive SD signals and can ONLY be used with non-SWM receivers, so a Genie or any newer DirecTV receiver will NOT work. I have also read that as of 2019, DirecTV/ATT will be phasing out SD all together so it may make that dish obsolete as well.

In any case, if you still wish to pursue this particular domed dish, or any of the other more portable dishes that auto lock, here is a link to give you an idea of the receiver models that would work with it.

DIRECTV MRV / SWM / DECA Receiver Compatibility Chart

Sadly, DirecTV has never been as "user friendly" as Dish has been when it comes to RV setups, and their subscriptions are in most cases, more expensive than Dish. That is why I believe that Dish users are more prevalent in RV's, at least from what I see around.

If you want to use newer DirecTV SWM receivers like most already have in their homes nowadays, there are ONLY two ways to do it in an RV setup. If you require one that will auto lock onto the satellites, the ONLY one that is SWM compatible is the roof mounted SWM compatible Winegard Traveler .

Winegard TRAV'LER Tech Specs

It will run you about 1200-1500 dollars and is permanently mounted on the roof of your RV, which also requires you to be in a spot where you have an unobstructed view of the southern sky wherever you park. I suppose you could try to construct some kind of ground based mount for it but I haven't heard or seen of anyone trying it, or if it would even work at all in that type of setup. It weighs a little over 50# so not something that can easily be toted around either.

Your only other choice is to use a tripod or some other type of home made mount that can use the home style Slimline dish with a SWM LNB. There are dozens of setups out there for sale for around 100-200 bucks. I suggest this site where the operators are very helpful in getting you what you need.

TV4RV: Satellite - Tripod - Slimline - Dish - DirectTV: satellite and Internet for RV - Recreational Vehicles - RVers - DishTV - Satellite Dish - FTA - Tripod

Going this route will also require you to bone up on the process of setting up the dish and aiming it manually. It isn't that hard and most that do it, get it down to 15 minutes or so after a few times.

HTH and good luck!
blujay40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 11:12 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
DIRECTV did this for me, too - changed my installation address for me... but I had to give the exact address of our RV park.
Actually, you can use any address that's in the general area, it's just to set you to the right "spot" for locals. They keep this on their history, so next time, if you go to another park in the area, you can tell them to use the same address.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugeez View Post
X2 but usually takes me more than 20 mins. Need to get a satellite meter.
Don't expect too much from the meter. Most of them don't know one satellite from another, and you may be homing in an the wrong one. I find it easier to make the prescribed settings and then have someone watch the signal strength on TV while I move the antenna around for the strongest signal, then cycle through the three satellites till all work well.
Old 07-02-2016, 11:31 AM   #39
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck.C View Post
Actually, you can use any address that's in the general area, it's just to set you to the right "spot" for locals. They keep this on their history, so next time, if you go to another park in the area, you can tell them to use the same address.

Don't expect too much from the meter. Most of them don't know one satellite from another, and you may be homing in an the wrong one. I find it easier to make the prescribed settings and then have someone watch the signal strength on TV while I move the antenna around for the strongest signal, then cycle through the three satellites till all work well.

Maybe I should have said I had to give an actual exact mailing address.

Nights Camped: 2013 = 49 / 2014 = 74 / 2015 = 74 / 2016 = 85 / 2017 = 00; booked = 14
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 11:50 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck.C View Post

I agree that would work if you had a DW that would help. It's usually just her and I and she is usually too busy on her I phone to help out.

Troy, Josie and our 2 K9 co-pilots Breck and Maggie
USN 86-92
Hugeez is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite