Old 06-10-2014, 08:29 PM   #1

Domestic refrigerator noise

We are on our second trip in our 832 IKBS and when we got all set up with the fridge running on A/C current we noticed a rather loud buzzing which became annoying pretty quickly. I traced it to the Dometic fridge. I turned it off for 30+ minutes and restarted it with no noise. By that time it was evening and not really hot outside.
We noticed the buzz again the next day in the late afternoon and every day since then. I believe there must be a fan that comes on when the unit gets hot and turns off when it cools down.

Anyone have the same problem or a fix?
Currently annoyed....

Old 06-10-2014, 08:37 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by snormaniii View Post
We are on our second trip in our 832 IKBS and when we got all set up with the fridge running on A/C current we noticed a rather loud buzzing which became annoying pretty quickly. I traced it to the Dometic fridge. I turned it off for 30+ minutes and restarted it with no noise. By that time it was evening and not really hot outside.
We noticed the buzz again the next day in the late afternoon and every day since then. I believe there must be a fan that comes on when the unit gets hot and turns off when it cools down.

Anyone have the same problem or a fix?
Currently annoyed....
Need to get used to it, its Dometics way of getting more cooling power from old absorption ammonia reefers. That's exactly the way they work, when condenser heat builds up, two fans start just below the coil to cool it. Without them your freezer will no longer be a freezer! They can be changed but based on the access can be quite expensive.

Old 06-10-2014, 08:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
Need to get used to it, its Dometics way of getting more cooling power from old absorption ammonia reefers. That's exactly the way they work, when condenser heat builds up, two fans start just below the coil to cool it. Without them your freezer will no longer be a freezer! They can be changed but based on the access can be quite expensive.
AH HA!! You just answered a question I had posted on a different thread - THANKS Vince!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:55 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
Can be fixed for less than $20 with 2 ball brg computer fans.

40mm x 10mm New Case Fan 12V PC CPU Computer Cooling Ball Bearing Pin 363A | eBay
Old 06-10-2014, 09:17 PM   #5

You can get quieter fans. Just be sure to match or increase the cubic feet per minute of your current fan/fans. I switched my original 120mm x 120mm X 38mm, 105 CFM fan out for a BGears 120mm X 120mm X 25mm, 103 CFM and dropped the noise by 13 dB. While we can still hear the fan running at night it is just a low level whine that is easily ignored. During the day when it is noisier you can't hear it running at all. I also added a switch to turn off the fan when we travel.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:25 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

When we turn the frig on, I also turn the 2 inside and the 2 outside fans on and they stay on until we shut the frig down. In other words, if there is food in the frig, the fans are on. Can't hurt a thing.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:42 PM   #7
Site Team

Yes. There typically is a fan, especially if you frig is in a slide out. Helps move hot air from behind frig for better cooling and is on a thermistor type device that comes on as needed. I'm working on my now trying to get more cooling in frig.

Sent from my XT907 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Air Lift 5000 w/Wireless Air

dcheatwood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:45 PM   #8

Dometic actually provides a switch in the fan kits they sell to FR. FR does not install them for liability reasons or so I was told. When Dometic sent me the schematics they said the reason for the switch was primarily to turn off the fan when traveling as it really wouldn't do much good. I agree it won't hurt not having one and just letting the fans run. It also simplifies things as far as wiring and swapping out fans.

I did do an experiment here at the house before we used the trailer. The outside temps were mid 70's with refrigerator vents facing southwest. The fridge was empty running on shore power. Without the fan running the fridge would only get to 40 degrees and the freezer sat at 32. With the fan running it would drop to 35 in the box and 29 in the freezer. So having the fan to move the heated air out definitely makes a difference.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:20 PM   #9

Thanks all, to my fridge concerns. Since I'm still under warranty I'm going to let my dealer give it a shot before I take any other steps.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:13 AM   #10

OC is your fridge in a slide thud providing access to the cond fans.

Tags
refrigerator