Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2013, 12:39 PM   #1

Dometic A/C problem

Went camping 4th of July week at Hanna park in Jacksonville, and when I arrived there, I noticed first that the wheel plastic cap and grease dust cover/cap were missing, and grease was splattered on the wheel. Upon further inspection, the hub and bearings were bad.
Then, I plugged in the power and water, opened the door to run the slides out, and turn on the AC, and the air would not come on. Also, the Concertone would not come on, and the auto-striker for the gas fridge option did not work. Also tried the thermostat on heat, as a test, and no fan power there either. We-(the boss) elected to stay the week anyway, I got the TV sound to work by disconnecting the headphone jack, and we had fans, so we survived the week- shady site at the beach, breeze sometimes.
I found a trailer company that had all I needed to repair the Al Ko bearing problem, so I fixed that at the campground. When I got home, after researching the AC problem, and talking to a few tech people, I ordered a new circuit control board from e bay for 62.00. figuring I'll try that first. After I carefully installed it, with all power off, I turned it all back on, and now the AC works again, avoiding a costly service visit to my local RV repair facility once more!
What was strange to me, is apparently the Concertone and the fridge auto striker are also powered through this control board on the bottom of the AC unit as well. Anyway, everything seems to be fixed now with that repair, and now I am ready for another camping trip that is hopefully trouble free!!!! Wondering if I should get another circuit board as a spare! Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:08 PM   #2
Plain Old Member

You sound like me. Fix it yourself if you can, done right the first time. I was diagnosing in my head till I finished the post. All 120v and most 12v in the same power panel on ours. Of course we have the battery isolator relay panel as well that ties house and coach batteries together and that panel has more 12v fuses. Just complicates it more. Ours is wired strange to me. One breaker feeds the converter, fridge and another receptacle or 2. So, plug in something that draws a little to much, and your tripping fridge, plugs and converter; and your lights, furnace and other 12v items are on battery power till you reset. I'll hush now as I'm rambling. Glad you got it fixed.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:25 PM   #3

Yes, I was confused with this setup because it is in a metal power box under the filter on the ceiling of the AC unit itself. Why all of this would be tied in to the Air conditioner's 12 volt circuit board is beyond me, but it seems to have been. The radio and heater and gas auto striker now all work along with the AC after replacing the AC control circuit board. Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:32 PM   #4
Plain Old Member

Alright, I had a brain fart. I was thinking main power panel, you're referring to the control box in the AC. Had to replace a few of those before too. Small box, big headache when it gilflirts. And of course there are several different boxes for different units, thermostats and so on. Like I found out with mine, 3 wire digital t-stat, and can't change to the older style without swapping the control box too. Decided to leave well enough alone.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote