Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2011, 08:59 PM   #1

Dometic Refrigerator Temperature Slider

Greetings All,

We recently purchased a 2012 Flagstaff Shamrock 19 hybrid TT that has a Dometic refrigerator with automatic refrigerator temperature control. I noticed on the inside wall of the refrigerator a blue vertical arrow indicating "cooler" at the top and "warmer" at the bottom. The only thing I can see that would slide vertically is a 3" metal piece supporting a temperature probe, clipped on to the metal fins. Can sliding this temperature probe only
a distance of 2"-3" really made a temperature difference in the refrigerator/freezer?
HandymanCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 09:07 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandymanCharlie View Post
Greetings All,

We recently purchased a 2012 Flagstaff Shamrock 19 hybrid TT that has a Dometic refrigerator with automatic refrigerator temperature control. I noticed on the inside wall of the refrigerator a blue vertical arrow indicating "cooler" at the top and "warmer" at the bottom. The only thing I can see that would slide vertically is a 3" metal piece supporting a temperature probe, clipped on to the metal fins. Can sliding this temperature probe only
a distance of 2"-3" really made a temperature difference in the refrigerator/freezer?
In my experience, not a heck of a lot...Maybe 3 degrees F.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:28 PM   #3
Site Team

i believe that's called a "thermister". i don't know how much it changes, since we've never had to adjust it since we bought our hybrid back in '06.

by the way, there is a Shamrock sub-section, under the Expandables/Hybrids section here at FRF. you posted in the regular TT/5th wheel section.
since you have a hybrid, you might want to post future questions there and since the Roo is the twin sister of the Shamrock, you can also check the Roo sub-section for other 19 owners.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 05:35 AM   #4

Bigger audience

Thanks for your suggestion. I thought since all TT and 5th wheelers had refrigerators, I'd aim for a bigger audience and possibly get a better answer.

I'll have to put a thermometer in the refrigerator and do some experimenting with the slider.
Old 07-31-2011, 03:09 PM   #5

I wish these fridgs would have a real thermostat instead of this slider that look very flimsy and fall down with nothing.Cost is probably the answer.
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 03:44 PM   #6

Dometic, I think does sell a dial that you can splice into the thermister wires. I have no first hand experience with this dial yet. Maybe someone has installed one in their refer and can tell you/us if it works better than the one that slides on the metal cooler fin.

Bill
2020 GMC Duramax-3500HD 4x4 CrewCab
B&W Companion 25K Fifth Wheel Hitch
2010 Wildcat 28RKBS (West Coast Model)
56 Gallon Titan Tank
bsmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 04:03 PM   #7

This is one of two that Dometic uses.
Dometic Thermistor Repair Kit

Bill
56 Gallon Titan Tank
Old 07-31-2011, 04:13 PM   #8

Here are two more sites with a different style control dial:

Dometic Thermistor Adjuster

Dinosaur Electronics Thermistor Adjuster for Dometic Refrigerator RVPartsNow.com

Bill
56 Gallon Titan Tank
Old 07-31-2011, 07:54 PM   #9

Thanks for the links! It has always annoyed me that I couldn't adjust the temp.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:11 PM   #10

Ours has that slider thingy and I don't like it either. The fridge is staying cold though so I guess it's working like it's supposed to. I do have it almost to the top though.

Enjoying the great outdoors with one hubby and 2 boxers!
2011 Georgetown 280DS
2010 Jeep Wangler 4x4 Toad
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:16 PM   #11

I dont care for the slide adjuster either. I would love to see if someone puts in a control knob too see if it actually works and the temp actually can be adjusted.
Come on guys someone do it!!!!!! I cant do any mods for thirty days I am on suspension..

Everyone is welcome.

Bill
56 Gallon Titan Tank
Old 07-31-2011, 08:16 PM   #12

I second the "Thanks for the links". I'm currently testing my fridge, since our rig is new to us, to see how well it cools. I haven't decided if I need a "fix" yet. But in the event I do, now I know there are some good options out there. Thanks again.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:10 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Word of warning, the little thermistor bulb is just king of hanging in the plastic slider, You may be moving the slider, but if the wire is tight, the thermistor is not really moving very far, if at all. I can make my fridge in to a freezer, in 100 degree weather. I pulled the whole plastic thing off, moved the thermistor to the top of the slider, put the slider back on in the middle, and used a thermometer over 3 days of adjusting, to get my temp to 36 degrees, perfect beer. My adjustment is still very close to the middle, and 1/4 inch makes about 5 degree difference. Just wait 6 hour before you adjust again. The other thing, we use an electric for most our drinks, so we don't open the refer much. Takes several hours to cool back down from a 1 minute door opening. If you are one of those that opens the door and has to look for 5 minutes, you are never foing to be happy with tge temp, especially if you do it every hour.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:55 PM   #14

Right windrider. It is a good practice to know exactly where is the location of your food so you dont loose minutes with the door open and start all over again to cool the fridg compartment.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:11 AM   #15

Dometic Refrigerator

We had a 2008 Flagstaff 5th wheel with a Dometic Refrigerator. It was freezing thinks solid even in the crisper. The problem ended up being caused by the thermister wich fell off of the slider and was dangling down below the upper shelves. I put it back on the slider and that corrected the issue.
The control does work, how it works is a mystery to me.
Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:37 PM   #16

This thermistor is quite flimsy and very easy to come off the grill. For me I will go with a real thermostat. I am just waiting for one of our friends rv'er to install one so we can see the result!
Old 08-04-2011, 07:46 PM   #17

My 1999 Terry had a Dometic. Never did see any way to adjust the temperature, but it was cold enough so a gallon of milk was good for over a month.
wayne anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:42 PM   #18

The sensor in mine is sitting on top of the fins instead of being inside of that plastic slider thingy. Is it supposed to touch the fins?

I have been playing with mine for almost a week and the lowest I can get it is 40.

Terry
wood2turn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:55 PM   #19

I let my sensor dangle below the fins and will often see the temps (propane or 120V) drop to 33F. Make sure your thermometer is reading correctly. I spoke with the manufacture (Dometic) and they said to expect only a 3 degree variation no matter where the slider is placed.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:32 PM   #20
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wood2turn View Post
The sensor in mine is sitting on top of the fins instead of being inside of that plastic slider thingy. Is it supposed to touch the fins?

I have been playing with mine for almost a week and the lowest I can get it is 40.

Terry

Probe at very top of slider
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130507_213201.jpg
Views:	9551
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	29840

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130507_213245.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	29841