Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Does your FR Flagstaff entry door have a FIC lock?
Yes 4 44.44%
No 3 33.33%
I have a different FR product with a FIC door lock 2 22.22%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-21-2013, 09:52 PM   #1

door lock poll.. (FIC recall)

Does your FR Flagstaff unit have an entry door with an FIC lock?

_ Yes
_ No

I think we were impacted by that FIC door lock recall (see http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...sue-45758.html for more details...)
While our lock number WAS NOT one of the numbers effected, this happened to us, but in REVERSE. We were locked out. (and the cats were locked in! and refused to unlock the door, those rascals!!)..

a $90 locksmith visit had the door open.. and i've been pursuing reimbursement from FR but was told "WE PURCHASE THE DOORS FORM A COMPANY CALLED DEXTER WE DO NOT HAVE AMY RECALL ON THE LOCKS AT THIS TIME." on Aug 13th.
woody9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:00 AM   #2
NELA

Yep one of the two doors on our TT has the recalled lock. We happen to be up in Pigeon Forge right now and the lock company is nearby in Johnson. We're just gonna run over and pick up the replacement. It comes with what they say is a special "replacer key" that makes the cylinder removal and replacement easy.

I'm thinking they can just demonstrate how easy by waiting til we're leaving to go by there and just pull in with the TT in tow.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:04 AM   #3
NELA

BTW there is a thread about this here on the forum, with contact info and even a video by Turbs showing how to remove a key that is broken off in the lock. Search for a thread about lock recall.

Because of Turb's video and us having a lock on this recall list I put a set of picks in the "stuff drawer" of our RV before leaving out this time.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:20 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
Yep one of the two doors on our TT has the recalled lock. We happen to be up in Pigeon Forge right now and the lock company is nearby in Johnson. We're just gonna run over and pick up the replacement. It comes with what they say is a special "replacer key" that makes the cylinder removal and replacement easy.

I'm thinking they can just demonstrate how easy by waiting til we're leaving to go by there and just pull in with the TT in tow.
With their 'tool'.. it's just a '30 second a lock' type of R&R.. VERY simple. I was lucky and DIDN'T have one break off! (just a $90 locksmith bill instead!!)
woody9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:32 AM   #5
NELA

I spoke with a young lady named Stephany IIRC. She was concerned that we were leaving for a trip with one of the recall locks until I explained that we have two doors with only one of the recalled locks.
On the way up here someone else called from there to confirm that our issue was being addressed.

Nope FR isn't handling this...just the lock company. Maybe the lock company will cover your expense?

Old 08-28-2013, 11:37 PM   #6
NELA

Well, our bedroom door lock (on the recall list) jammed tonight. DH took it apart and unjammed it. It appears to be working fine now.

It's a 2 hour drive from where we are in Pigeon Forge to their shop. We've decided to just call 'em tomorrow and tell 'em to ship it to our home instead of picking it up and we'll replace it there. In the meantime we plan to use that door very carefully and sparingly.

One of our camp neighbors (with a Jayco) seems to have the same problem on one of their doors....gave 'em the recall info.

Tags
door, recall