Old 09-26-2016, 02:18 PM   #1

Double question for the vets!

How easy is the easy lube for axle on the 8528 and how often should it be done? Next it seems the the 2 tires on the door side have a smaller gap between them then the other side???? Cause??

Old 09-26-2016, 02:29 PM   #2
Failure is my business

I've an 832IKBS. The axles are super easy, though to grease them properly you need to raise the wheel off the ground and roll it while adding grease.

Your other comment piqued my interest as I recently had a delamination blowout of one of the OEM Castle Rocks. It was on the side I had noted that seemed like there was less room between the tires. My X-chock would usually barely fit and on the trip of the failure it wouldn't fit at all.

When I changed all the tires out last weekend, I noticed that the OEM tires were neither round, nor consistent across the tread. All of the tires showed some irregularity ie: raised sections, while being rolled around in my driveway prior to dismounting.

If you can pull the tires off the tight side and roll them while looking at the tread profile to see if there are higher spots, it might give you a better idea as to what is causing the spacing issue.

Current vehicle list: 16 Flagstaff 832IKBS, 14 RAM 1500 4x4 Hemi 3.92 Bilsteins!, 04 Dodge Ram SRT-10 40,000 miles, 03 Dodge Stratus Coupe R/T 225,000 miles, 97 F150 4x4 5.4L 235,000 miles, 80 Firebird Esprit (drag only), 78 Harley Davidson FX 79,000 miles dad bought new, 71 El Camino ZZ3 TH400 12-Bolt, 37 Ford 3 window 502 Chevy dad built
2Evil4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 02:38 PM   #3

Oswego,

There are varying positions on the easy lube debate.

If you are 'careful' and do as instructed to pump grease in s-l-o-w-l-y while rotating the hub, chances are you can get grease in successfully without blowing past the rear seals.
The only real way to know if you have been successful is to pull the hubs to check.
So, if you're going to pull the hubs you may as well pack the bearings by hand.
Recommendations are once per year and I would include if you put 20,000+ miles on yearly you might want to check them a little more often.

As for the tires... as we've talked before, I have the newer but almost the same, 8529IKBS.
My tires are slightly closer on the opposite side from the door.
Just enough so that when my x-chocks are fully collapsed, the drivers side just fits with some wiggling. The passenger side does not fit so snugly.

I've done some detailed measurements and have closely monitored tire wear and find nothing amiss. I think it's the nature of the beast. (at least for me)
TST Tire Monitor - Sinemate 3500w Gen.
2016 Nights Camped = 46
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 02:44 PM   #4

2evil... that's some interesting info on the tires.

I have Castle Rocks too.

I have checked mine previously but am going to check them again.
I've got just about a year on mine (approx 5000 mi) and have not seen anything irregular other than the center of the tread has ALWAYS looked half worn out (compared to the shoulders) and the concave look of the contact patch to the ground.

I've looked at dozens of Castle Rocks since purchasing my 5th wheel and they all look like mine.
TST Tire Monitor - Sinemate 3500w Gen.
2016 Nights Camped = 46
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 01:15 PM   #5

As long as it is a tire problem and not an axle problem. The one tire seems bigger to me thus reducing gap
Old 09-27-2016, 01:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OswegoLion View Post
As long as it is a tire problem and not an axle problem. The one tire seems bigger to me thus reducing gap
Mmmm. I think I would check the circumference
Old 09-27-2016, 02:54 PM   #7
Failure is my business

Quote:
Originally Posted by OswegoLion View Post
If you can put a tape around it to confirm, I would. That was a sign of the plys starting to separate on mine prior to failure.

Current vehicle list: 16 Flagstaff 832IKBS, 14 RAM 1500 4x4 Hemi 3.92 Bilsteins!, 04 Dodge Ram SRT-10 40,000 miles, 03 Dodge Stratus Coupe R/T 225,000 miles, 97 F150 4x4 5.4L 235,000 miles, 80 Firebird Esprit (drag only), 78 Harley Davidson FX 79,000 miles dad bought new, 71 El Camino ZZ3 TH400 12-Bolt, 37 Ford 3 window 502 Chevy dad built
2Evil4U is offline   Reply With Quote