Old 11-08-2011, 08:03 PM   #1

Dumb Newbie Questions, 2011 25DS

Just bought our first trailer, 2011 25DS and we are clueless. I have the trailer connected to electric, backyard. We are in South Carolina and have trips planned through the winter. I plan to use a small electric heater inside, for when the temperatures dip. Our coldest, weaterh, Jan. & Feb. can get into the teens at night. Am I covered with the small heater and the hotwater heater getting electric or do I need to drain the tank after each trip? Anything else outside that can freeze?

Our two hour dealer walk thru is now a blur. Where is the switch for electric only to the hot water heater? Inside the trailer or at the tank itself?

By tripping the hot water tank breaker, does that keep both propane and electric from turning on?

Our maiden voyage will be Thanksgiving...any other tips or guidiance would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:10 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgray View Post
Just bought our first trailer, 2011 25DS and we are clueless. I have the trailer connected to electric, backyard. We are in South Carolina and have trips planned through the winter. I plan to use a small electric heater inside, for when the temperatures dip. Our coldest, weaterh, Jan. & Feb. can get into the teens at night. Am I covered with the small heater and the hotwater heater getting electric or do I need to drain the tank after each trip? Anything else outside that can freeze?

Our two hour dealer walk thru is now a blur. Where is the switch for electric only to the hot water heater? Inside the trailer or at the tank itself?

By tripping the hot water tank breaker, does that keep both propane and electric from turning on?

Our maiden voyage will be Thanksgiving...any other tips or guidiance would be greatly appreciated.
The 120 VAC switch for the hot water heater is a black rocker switch found from outside the camper. WARNING: There is no light to tell you that this switch is ON. Make sure it is OFF before you drain the hot water tank.

The 12 VDC and Propane switch is located INSIDE the camper and has a red light that indicates the propane heat is being called for and is on (fire trying to burn or is burning).

The water heater BREAKER is for 120 VAC only.
There is a 12 VDC fuse for the DC/Propane side.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:46 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

If you plan on NOT winterizing the trailer, open the cabinet doors below the sinks while running your electric heater, to keep the traps from freezing. Also keep the bathroom door open. Make sure the holding tanks are drained. Personally, I would drain the water heater, only 6 gallons, (most likely), so not much of a waste. I would also drain the low point drains after each trip, and open all the faucets. You will find that propane goes through a furnace really fast on cold nights, and the furnace eats a battery a night if not plugged in. Happy camping, hope you stay warm.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
25ds