Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2019, 08:59 PM   #21

Cherokeebill, are you using some sort of WDH with that set-up? I have a 2016 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk with tow package and 3.2 V-6 wanting to tow my 19FD.
JrJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 10:45 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrJordan View Post
Cherokeebill, are you using some sort of WDH with that set-up? I have a 2016 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk with tow package and 3.2 V-6 wanting to tow my 19FD.
Yes, I am using a Fastway E2 WD system. I like the fact that the system does not use chains and that sway control does not require additional components. We chose the Fastway system because of this and because it is way cheaper then a Blue Ox or a Andersen system. Our system does not have the trunion bars but rather the bent bars. I was worried about ground clearance but we have not had any issues.

I had this on my 2015 Cherokee North and now have it on my 2019 Limited. It works very well. When loaded the front of the Jeep lifts under one inch. I had the hitch set up for me by my RV dealer. They are kowledgeable and did a great job. The whole set up process took about one hour but it was time well spent.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your trailer, we sure do. BTW, our Jeep has the tow package with 3.2 V6. It handles the trailer well.
Old 09-26-2019, 10:33 AM   #23
Trailer Park Supervisor

Laurie, I just came back from the Vermont mountains towing my G19FD with my Ford F150 V-8. I was thankful for the power. There are mountain roads in Vermont where even the V-8 was struggling.

I wanted to tow this with a mid-sized SUV, and found out this would be a very bad idea, given the tongue weight loaded will be in excess of 600 lbs, could be as much as 700 with bicycles. Most mid-sized SUV's are limited to 500 lbs on tongue. I use an E2 trunnion bar WDH system with 800lb bars. Works great, trailer feels rock solid behind me up to the top speed I tow, which is sometimes 70 mph when conditions allow.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 01:41 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Laurie, I just came back from the Vermont mountains towing my G19FD with my Ford F150 V-8. I was thankful for the power. There are mountain roads in Vermont where even the V-8 was struggling.

I wanted to tow this with a mid-sized SUV, and found out this would be a very bad idea, given the tongue weight loaded will be in excess of 600 lbs, could be as much as 700 with bicycles. Most mid-sized SUV's are limited to 500 lbs on tongue. I use an E2 trunnion bar WDH system with 800lb bars. Works great, trailer feels rock solid behind me up to the top speed I tow, which is sometimes 70 mph when conditions allow.
With respect NJKris, I disagree. My Jeep does a fine job towing our 19FD. We live in the mountains and regularly need to tow up mountain passes to get out of our town. We have pulled up 12% grades. Admittedly, we are not towing at 70 mph rather more like 50 mph. We finished a long trip, about 9,000 kms and averaged 16.1 l/100 kms. We usually pull at about 95 km/hr. I think that more power is always welcome but I do think the Jeep is an adequate partner to the 19FD.
Old 09-26-2019, 02:34 PM   #25
Trailer Park Supervisor

Bill, no doubt some of the mid sized SUV's have the power, it's the rated max tongue weight on many of them that is capped at 500 lbs, regardless of WDH usage that concerned me, knowing my unit would be in excess of 600 lb tongue weight thanks to the single axle configuration, and pair of heavy golf cart batteries (at least 150 lbs of batteries alone) is what steered me to a larger vehicle with greater tongue weight capacity.

Oh, and towing on steep grades like you mention, I too am doing 50 mph, even with the V-8. I could amp it with the power to spare, which is nice, but I know I would be blowing through gas like crazy so I generally don't. I'm only getting up to 70 when level or downhill.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing