Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2018, 09:57 AM   #201

We have a G16BH which has been on 6 or 7 outings. I noticed there are 10 nuts and bolts (5 ea side) that look to secure the box to the frame. I found them all needing tightening. The nuts on most of them could be removed by hand.
RFishstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 10:26 AM   #202

Forest River Quality

I have a E Pro 19fd and arranged a factory tour in Millersburg IN to see them constructed. I got to see construction from the frame up. I was amazed how fast the workers move. The mostly Amish crew, men and women, waste no time in their task. They work through out the day until the required number of units are built for the day.

One man was attaching a large panel with screws, and literally ran along the side of the trailer...with his drill, and put in maybe 8 screws in 4 seconds. This was impressive, but obviously affects quality.

A woman was attaching wires together, and she was so fast that it was just a blur.

I did see them mark areas which needed attention with yellow tape, so they attempt to correct these visible items. They put water in the tanks to make sure they don't leak etc. As the unit is rolled off the assembly line at the end, a man torques the wheel nuts before it is rolled away.

We have now used our trailer on 3 trips and have only experienced minor problems, but as others have noted, they were due to build errors. As an example the base of the drawer under the dinette seat slipped out. It was not screwed or glued in. It was an easy fix to a problem that I am sure many will experience. The strap on the murphy bed sofa which you uupse the jackknife the sofa pulled off the sofa. It was attached with a few staples, and again, you would expect it to break with only small staples. I have also noticed screws sticking out maybe an inch or more through the wood. I guess they probably want to use the same screws throughout to speed up production. I am going to cut the exposed ends off so I don't

I expect these problems are common in the industry. I think the people I saw working were doing their best based on the limited time they have to complete their task as the unit rolls down the line. It would be interesting to know what the additional cost would be to do it right. I would be happy to pay an additional $500 or more on my E Pro to have it done right.
joindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 07:38 PM   #203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tileguy View Post
Ditto on all the little repair annoyances, gorilla glue to the rescue on many of these. We have also had a lens cap fall off and the refrigerator vent fall out, all replaced at no charge by FR. Also check the wire that follow the axle to your electric brakes. The freash water tank supports chopped down on ours. Has anybody have instructions for getting antifreeze in a 19fd?
Unless I am mistaken and if your 19fd is like ours you will have a antifreeze inlet on the bottom of your trailer just ahead of the drivers side axle. It is real close to the fresh water drain cock. We have not winterized yet but I think the manual suggests using the pump to draw antifreeze into the system through this inlet. I would also suggest shutting off the bypass to your hot water tank. No point filling it with antifreeze since you will be draining it for winter. I would also suggest taking the filter out so it does not get ruined. I am pretty sure your manual covers most of these points.
Old 09-05-2018, 02:22 AM   #204

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFishstick View Post
We have a G16BH which has been on 6 or 7 outings. I noticed there are 10 nuts and bolts (5 ea side) that look to secure the box to the frame. I found them all needing tightening. The nuts on most of them could be removed by hand.
Based on this info, I decided to check out these Bolts on my E19FD. There are 12 total, 6 on each side. The first one I checked on the left front was "loose" and backed off the bracket a few threads. The other 11 were at varying degrees of tightness/looseness but none were as tight. I do not know what the torque spec is but will contact FR for that info. I'm going to add "jam nuts" to all 12 to prevent them from loosening in the future. ** It's a bit hard to believe that these 12 bolts and nuts secure the unit box to the frame but it looks like they are the only fasteners from the box to the frame.

While performing this maintenance, I noticed that one of the 2 clamps that holds the white fresh water hose from the fresh water tank to where it enters the unit was just hanging free. I'm surprised the self-taping screw was still in the clamp. I attempted to screw it back in place but it is stripped so I'll need to shoot some Silicone up into the hole and first to secure the screw. The other clamp and screw were loose and stripped as well. Both will get the same fix.

I think when I'm done with all the fixes and enhancements to preclude failure, this will be a great little camper but I'll hold short of recommending it for now. I'm going the RV Show in Hershey this month and plan to talk to the FR folks a lot!
YBLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 11:29 AM   #205

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I think Forest River needs to take these issues seriously and correct during assembly but I fear that will not happen. These are not esthetic issues but can significantly affect the durability of the trailer.

Thanks to all for this.
Old 09-05-2018, 01:08 PM   #206

I checked all 12 nuts that hold the coach on to the frame. I could tighten all of them so I am thinking that they are all torqued to a specific number. Remember that the aluminum frame in the coach is very light so I think it would be very easy to overtighten the nuts. This could pull the bolt down and maybe through the aluminum frame. It would be nice to know what the torque numbers are so if anyone has this information please share it with us. Thank you YBlee for taking this on.
Old 09-06-2018, 02:29 AM   #207

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeebill View Post
I checked all 12 nuts that hold the coach on to the frame. I could tighten all of them so I am thinking that they are all torqued to a specific number. Remember that the aluminum frame in the coach is very light so I think it would be very easy to overtighten the nuts. This could pull the bolt down and maybe through the aluminum frame. It would be nice to know what the torque numbers are so if anyone has this information please share it with us. Thank you YBlee for taking this on.
Thanks for the feedback CB. Your input on a Torque Spec to preclude over-tightening and possibly pulling through the Aluminum Frame is well put. I'll let you know what I can find out. In the mean time I'm going to install "Jam-Nuts" on each of the 12 bolts to prevent them from coming loose. I'm debating on using a Nyloc style Nut or Flat and Split Washer with another Nut. They will be std Zinc or Galvanized Zinc which is what the Nut and Bolts look like on the unit. I'd love to use Stainless Steel but don't want to create a "dissimilar metal" corossion problem. Your thoughts are welcome.
Old 09-06-2018, 09:13 AM   #208

Geo Pro Bolts

I'm about ready to cover up the my Geo Pro 19fd for the next few months. I've already set up some reservations in Yellowstone and Teton for 2019 spring. We've been happy, in general with the trailer...our first. There are a few issues that relate to quality, some have been mentioned by the previous postings.

The issue of the frame bolts is one I would like to have more information on and would greatly appreciate feed back.

We have a 2017 GMC Canyon diesel for towing the Geo. on our last trip to Glacier National Park we averaged 17.5 mpg. It's just a little work horse and has no problem dealing with the trailer. I love the truck. It's quite a surprise to many who were not aware of this truck from GMC.

Of all the small issues with the trailer, the low clearance and its effect with the sewer line, is the biggest. I can't, for the life of me, see how the decision was made not to give more clearance. I have encountered several moments where it was an issue. I had a narrow escape on one occasion, had to replace a broken strap that holds the sewer and grey water, due to hitting the ground on a difficult exit from a gas station. Live and learn.

All that said, I do love going out into this beautiful country with this unit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	441.0 KB
ID:	185620  
madhuji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 12:08 PM   #209

Quote:
Originally Posted by YBLee View Post
Thanks for the feedback CB. Your input on a Torque Spec to preclude over-tightening and possibly pulling through the Aluminum Frame is well put. I'll let you know what I can find out. In the mean time I'm going to install "Jam-Nuts" on each of the 12 bolts to prevent them from coming loose. I'm debating on using a Nyloc style Nut or Flat and Split Washer with another Nut. They will be std Zinc or Galvanized Zinc which is what the Nut and Bolts look like on the unit. I'd love to use Stainless Steel but don't want to create a "dissimilar metal" corossion problem. Your thoughts are welcome.
I am not sure a split washer, or lock washer as we call it here, would work. In our trailer most of the bolts protrude at an angle. I think that in order for a split washer to be effective it requires a flat surface to mate with. If any one knows for sure please let us know. I think a self locking nut, the one with a nylon insert would work as would a jam nut. I too have been thinking about doing this but I would like to know the torque specs first. Having said that it may not be all that important to know the torque specs. Perhaps all that is required is for the nut to be secure so that there is no movement and then making sure that the nut stays in place. Don't know so will think on that some more. BTW, before writing this note I reviewed the manual to see if there were any specs in it. There were none relating to the bolts in question but I was reminded to check the bolts that secure the axle to the chassis. 150 foot pounds and checked every six months if on the road they write. So one more thing to add to my fall maintainace schedule.
Old 09-09-2018, 06:50 AM   #210

Just a quick update on Torque Spec's: The NE Rep for FR suggested I contact FR for this info, I sent an email yesterday but haven't heard back although it was Saturday. I'll keep ya posted.
Old 09-09-2018, 07:45 AM   #211
GOODBYE SUIT - HELLO RV!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdalton View Post
We haven’t bought a trailer yet, but have been considering the E-Pro E17PR/Geo-Pro G17PR or the E-Pro E19FD/Geo-Pro G19FD models. However, after reading through this thread, I'm now very concerned about the quality of these Forest River products.

Well, OK. Based on your post, one thing is certain. The only way for you to not be disappointed with ANY manufacturer of RVs is to not own one.
2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium California Special Convertible (The Beast)
2006 Ford Mustang 3.0 V6 Convertible (Lil' Blue)
HappyCamper1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 12:03 PM   #212

E Pro and Geo Pro

We purchased an E-Pro 14FK several months ago. We love it! Prior to our purchase, we spent about eight months researching units. We didn’t purchase our unit based on looks, it meeting our needs, and price alone. We considered its construction from inside out, its warranty, and customer satisfaction with Forest River handling warranty issues. In the end, we concluded that Forest River customer service far exceeded others. If you google Thor customer reviews/satisfaction as we did, right along with Camping World, your eyes will be opened to some of the real nightmares of the RV world. Yes, we’ve had a couple of minor issues with our E-Pro which have been corrected, but Forest River still beats the others hands down. We never even considered buying a Thor product, or buying from Camping World because what we learned from doing our homework. Do your homework on RV models, individual dealerships, compare construction along with unit and roof warranties, be aware of recommendations for upkeep, and become a happy camper. Life in an RV is good!
D321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 12:12 PM   #213

We too bought our 19fd using similar criteria mentioned by D321. As I mentioned in a previous post, Forest River has been good at post purchase service. The poor workmanship issues we have detailed in previous posts pale in comparison to some. My nephew's new trailer was so badly put together that the dealer bought it back because it would have cost more to repair then the trailer was worth. They had cabinets fall off walls and slides that would not close. It was not a Forest River product. As I said before, I think the E-pro is structural sound and now with all my fixes I am confident we will have a long happy relationship with it.
Old 09-09-2018, 12:49 PM   #214

X2
Old 09-09-2018, 01:19 PM   #215

I was crawling underneath our trailer and checking on the torque readings on the axle bolts ( they were all good) when I noticed that the axle height can be adjusted. So,note to 'madhuji' you can actually raise your coach at least an inch by adjusting the axle and also you can go to 15 inch tires as some people do. That should bring the back of the trailer up another inch. So, two inches may not seem like a lot but it would probably alleviate some of your clearance concerns.
Old 09-10-2018, 07:53 PM   #216

I am not sure where to post my question. I have tried to search on forums but no luck so here goes and I apologize if posted incorrectly.We are going to be camping in our 19FD soon and we expect temps to drop to freezing. Has anyone tried to add heat pads to their water tanks and lines? Has anyone camped in freezing conditions and if so how did they do, what steps did they take? BTW we do not have the heat pad option on our trailer. The instrument panel only has a filler block for the heat tank option and when I pulled the panel off I could not see any wiring back there. Any ideas anyone, sorry if I am posting wrong.
Old 09-10-2018, 08:17 PM   #217

Bring bottled water.
Old 09-10-2018, 08:30 PM   #218

Honda Ridgeline pulling geopro 19fbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc cruiser View Post
pbro
Looks great hooked up to the Canyon. I have a 19 fbs on order. Planning on towing with my Honda Ridgeline. Waiting on April delivery.
TC
Thinking of getting GeoPro 19FBS to pull with 2018 Honda Ridgeline AWD.
( Ridgeline = 5000 lb weight limit/tongue weight 600 lb)

I would like to hear from others pulling GeoPro or over trailers 3500 lbs or over for how well the Ridgeline handles the pull. Some mountains here in western North Carolina to negotiate.

Thanks!
NewbieNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 11:57 PM   #219

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tileguy View Post
Bring bottled water.
Haha, very true. We usually do but............what about our water lines and tanks. Anything, anybody?
Old 09-12-2018, 05:26 AM   #220

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieNC View Post
Thinking of getting GeoPro 19FBS to pull with 2018 Honda Ridgeline AWD.
( Ridgeline = 5000 lb weight limit/tongue weight 600 lb)

I would like to hear from others pulling GeoPro or over trailers 3500 lbs or over for how well the Ridgeline handles the pull. Some mountains here in western North Carolina to negotiate.

Thanks!
My 19 fbs tows and handles great with the Honda Ridgeline. I am using a Curt WDH with it.