Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2019, 03:32 PM   #1

E-Pro Spare Tire Access and Tire Issue

Hi,

We have owned our E-Pro 19FD trailer for a year and a half. I have never dropped the spare tire from under the trailer or had to deal with a tire change. (I've kind of dreaded the thought having to do it.)

We went out last week and had a nice camping trip, until I noticed tire was flat as we were getting ready to leave. The jacks/stabilizers hid the problem until the last minute.

Now, I had to change the tire!

I lowered the tire from underneath the trailer. This was a "royal pain" due to the location of the tire under the trailer behind the steps. It uses a pulley system to raise and lower it. You have to physically get under the trailer to unhook the tire.

I tried to loosen the wheels lug nuts. They had been over-torqued at the factory and initially were almost impossible to break loose.

Otherwise, jacking the trailer and replacing tire was not that difficult.

After getting home, I checked the tire and found no leaks except at the tire stem. The tire stem was loose. This caused the air leak.

I tightened the stem 4-5 turns to seat it and leak stopped.

Note: I've added air to the tires several times since we owned the trailer and have not had any significant leakage problems. After finding this, I checked the other tires and the stems were properly seated. I believe that this issue originated at the factory.

After mounting the original tire back on the wheel, I tried to pull the spare back into position. It was extremely difficult to do this as it took a lot of effort/muscle to slowly hoist it back into position.

Overall, I felt that this was more difficult that it needed to be.

I suggest:
  • Check your tire stems (cores?) and make certain they are tight.
  • Make sure to loosen and re-torque your lug nuts before you take it out the first time.
  • Have a good jack available (in this case I did).
  • Know how to access your spare tire the E-Pro/Geo Pro trailers.

Let me know if it is difficult to raise your spare as I may have defective pulley system. I would interested to know if anyone else has had to change a tire on this type of trailer. What was your experience like?
DGrissom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 03:41 PM   #2
Trailer Park Supervisor

Thanks for the tip! As soon as snow melts from driveway, I'll check mine. Maybe putting a floor jack beneath the spare to guide it as you crank it back up would help, if you are home. I kept a bottle jack from my old pickup which was junked to use for the RV, you jack it up on the axle, right? I have boards to raise height of jack if required.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 06:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Thanks for the tip! As soon as snow melts from driveway, I'll check mine. Maybe putting a floor jack beneath the spare to guide it as you crank it back up would help, if you are home. I kept a bottle jack from my old pickup which was junked to use for the RV, you jack it up on the axle, right? I have boards to raise height of jack if required.
Yes, like you, I keep boards to level the trailer if needed. The boards are useful for a tire change as well.

I thought about trying to prop the tire in some manner while raising it. I couldn't find anything that would be suitable for this.

I plan on getting a long socket extension to help ease the lifting in the future. Note the stabilizer crank will work to lower the tire. It was nearly worthless to raise the tire.
DGrissom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 06:30 PM   #4

Where did you place the jack on the geo pro in order to lift the unit for tire changing.? I have not. Be able to locate any information in the Forest River packet.
madhuji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 10:13 AM   #5
Trailer Park Supervisor

Just an FYI, because I saw this on other threads, check your spare once in a while to make sure it is not coming loose from the hoist. Just before my last trip of the season, I checked pressure on all tires as it was getting very cold and they needed some air. The spare was 40 psi, should have been 50. I noted the spare could be pushed around pretty easily, so I tightened it up using the hoist bolt. I probably only towed about 1000 miles for the year, so check it. I have a ratchet style tire iron/wrench combo, so it was also good to know it would fit on the hoist bolt, which appears to be same size as lug nuts.
Old 11-17-2019, 07:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhuji View Post
Where did you place the jack on the geo pro in order to lift the unit for tire changing.? I have not. Be able to locate any information in the Forest River packet.
I believe you have to place the jack somewhere on the frame, not under the axle. I've been told the Dexter axle housing will not take the load of a jack without damage.
Old 11-18-2019, 10:26 AM   #7
Trailer Park Supervisor

There is no jacking information in my owner's packet either. There is an online owner's manual https://forestriverinc.help/#/forest...ation-14-en_usthat makes only one mention of jacking, in the tire safety section. Was not easy to find.
Quote:
Do not place a jack against the trailer underbelly when changing a tire. To avoid damage to your RV, be sure the jack is placed firmly against the chassis frame and place it as close to the spring hangers as possible.
Old 11-18-2019, 12:45 PM   #8
Trailer Park Supervisor

Jacking instructions

Forest River just emailed me the following:
RECOMMENDATIONS FOR JACKING THE FRAME TO CHANGE A TIRE
1. Carrying a jack rated for the weight of the coach is essential. The jack must be rated
between 8 and 12 tons.
2. To prevent damage to the coach, carry wood blocks to place between the jack and the main
rail (I-beam or tube) of the coach and to go under the jack.
3. DO NOT jack the coach on the axle tube or black pipe gas lines that can sometimes be
mounted to the bottom of the main rail.
4. Chock the wheels, both front and rear, on the opposite side of the coach.
5. If hitched to tow vehicle, stay hitched and set the parking brake.
6. DO NOT use the front landing gear or rear stabilizer jacks to pick the coach up to change a
tire. This is dangerous and may result in serious bodily injury or death.
7. Other options include adding Level-Up 6-point leveling, Ground Control 4 or 6-point leveling to
not only assist in jacking the coach frame but to add value to the coach.
Old 01-25-2020, 11:48 PM   #9

Relocate your spare

When the orinentation genius at CW told me "there isn't a spare tire on the E-Pro" and I could just "pick one up at Tractor Supply", I looked underneath and found it myself. I took it off when I got home and now I keep it in the back of my pick up when I'm pulling my trailer.
Suke2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 07:51 AM   #10
Trailer Park Supervisor

I think we had the same genius! Check to make sure the spare is snugged up under there, mine was just starting to get loose after first year. Also, check spare pressure, I had to add about 15 lbs to mine. And of course, make sure you have a tire iron that fits the lugs and the spare lowering lug!

edit: And I just saw I posted the same crap back in November!
Old 01-27-2020, 01:55 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Forest River just emailed me the following:
RECOMMENDATIONS FOR JACKING THE FRAME TO CHANGE A TIRE
1. Carrying a jack rated for the weight of the coach is essential. The jack must be rated
between 8 and 12 tons.
2. To prevent damage to the coach, carry wood blocks to place between the jack and the main
rail (I-beam or tube) of the coach and to go under the jack.
3. DO NOT jack the coach on the axle tube or black pipe gas lines that can sometimes be
mounted to the bottom of the main rail.
4. Chock the wheels, both front and rear, on the opposite side of the coach.
5. If hitched to tow vehicle, stay hitched and set the parking brake.
6. DO NOT use the front landing gear or rear stabilizer jacks to pick the coach up to change a
tire. This is dangerous and may result in serious bodily injury or death.
7. Other options include adding Level-Up 6-point leveling, Ground Control 4 or 6-point leveling to
not only assist in jacking the coach frame but to add value to the coach.
Thanks for the reminder. I have jacked my trailer up when greasing my bearings via the EZlube feature. Dexter days you need to spin the wheel while adding grease. I placed my jack under the frame close to the axle. I did this at home, would not want to do this on the road. But now I know it can be done.

Tags
tire