Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2018, 01:31 PM   #1

E19FD Winterizing

In the water line from the Fresh Water tank is a valve with a connection for adding a hose to draw Antifreeze into the plumbing. I have tried using it after blowing the water lines out with air but the Pump will not draw antifreeze with the valve in any position. Has anyone had any luck using this connection?
YBLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 01:57 PM   #2

If it's like mine, the valve has several positions. Try turning that while the motor is running. You'll hear it when it's pulling in air. Then just submerge the end in the antifreeze.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 02:19 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
If it's like mine, the valve has several positions. Try turning that while the motor is running. You'll hear it when it's pulling in air. Then just submerge the end in the antifreeze.
Thanks a lot for the feedback. I did try that but now I'm thinking the Valve was installed backwards. I'll try reversing it tomorrow and see is that works.
Old 10-19-2018, 06:35 AM   #4
Trailer Park Supervisor

OMG, can you have any more problems with that trailer????????
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 10:55 AM   #5

Winterizing Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
OMG, can you have any more problems with that trailer????????
I sincerely hope not. Luckily I was able to blow all the lines out with my compressor and empty hot water heater, etc. While doing this process I removed the Whole-House style Water Filter in the compartment on the back left side of the E19FD to empty the water. Low and behold I found the there "was not" an actual filter membrane in the housing - LOL! This is really comical after awhile. I'm going to keep plugging away at all the issues and make this the camper it should be! We camped in NH last weekend and had a great time and basically love the camper except for all the issue including the Aluminum Framing of the camper itself, the use of Azdel instead of Luan in the walls and what seemed lake a lot of extra features that more expensive units had that were included like the RangerWifi. BUT, there's more than a good deal/price and I've learned a lot. You probably won't want to be the next dealer I purchase from unless you've done your homework and insure the camper I'm buying is perfect!
Old 10-19-2018, 02:28 PM   #6
Trailer Park Supervisor

I'm learning from your experiences and know what to expect at least. Almost 18k for this is not a lot in the big scheme of things, but is still 18k I wouldn't have spent otherwise. I know they don't deliver the trailer with a filter element installed, but they should have given it to you. If not, they owe you one.
Old 10-19-2018, 02:45 PM   #7
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I've not seen a new unit from the factory with the filter element installed in the housing.

That's typically the job of the dealer during PDI and often times the dealer will wait until the Customer Orientation to show the owner how it's installed. Depending on how good/bad a dealer you have, they may just point it out to you (laying in a drawer or cabinet) and say "that goes in the filter housing!"

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 08:23 PM   #8

Well, they didn’t do that I’m sorry to say. After replacing an I correctly installed Inline Winterizing Valve near the Fresh Water Tank, it still would not draw Antifreeze so I gave up and pored the antifreeze into the Fresh water tank and pumped it through the system with the pump. Done but not happy!
Old 10-20-2018, 06:45 AM   #9
Trailer Park Supervisor

This winterizing stuff is new to me. If you blow the lines, then try to start the pump, the pump won't be able to prime and provide suction and draw it in the way you wanted I'm thinking. Could it be that simple? Now that there is liquid in the lines and pump, maybe try the process again and see if is sucking in?
Old 10-20-2018, 07:56 AM   #10

Quote:
This winterizing stuff is new to me. If you blow the lines, then try to start the pump, the pump won't be able to prime and provide suction and draw it in the way you wanted I'm thinking. Could it be that simple? Now that there is liquid in the lines and pump, maybe try the process again and see if is sucking in?
That is a good point (and I will try it next year) but then why would it draw the antifreeze from the fresh water tank with dry lines? I even cracked the kitchen facet to all air out so the lines wouldn't be "air-bound". At this point it defies logic but is winterized.

Also, there is a Check-Valve behind a little screen in the City Water hookup that should be pressed to allow antifreeze to get into the check-valve. You can gently pick out the Screen with your finger which has is attached to a black washer. Then stick your finger in the hole and you'll feel kinda like a button. ***CAUTION CAUTION*** Before you push that check-valve button, make sure the Water Pump is off and some of the pressure is relieved by open one of the facets OR YOU WILL GET REALLY WET WITH ANTIFREEZE. I speak from experience - lol.
Old 10-20-2018, 08:04 AM   #11
Trailer Park Supervisor

Perhaps putting some water in the fresh water tank the water is gravity fed into the pump suction line, allowing the pump to prime. I have a pump I use for home brewing. The inlet MUST be filled with liquid, or the pump will cavitate, and not prime. Bad for this type of pump by the way.
Old 10-20-2018, 09:08 AM   #12

Quote:
Perhaps putting some water in the fresh water tank the water is gravity fed into the pump suction line, allowing the pump to prime. I have a pump I use for home brewing. The inlet MUST be filled with liquid, or the pump will cavitate, and not prime. Bad for this type of pump by the way.
Agreed, I know these pumps are fragile if run dry although I believe they are self-priming. That said, I’m all set for this year but will keep your suggestion in mind for next time. Thx for staying with me on this stuff.
Old 10-20-2018, 09:19 AM   #13
Trailer Park Supervisor

Anytime! Us Geo Pro E Pro guys gotta stick together!
Old 11-19-2018, 01:27 PM   #14

Winterizing your E-Pro / Geo Pro

Just a note from someone who knows, Do Not Forget to remove the filter cartridge from your Water Pur filter BEFORE you install the antifreeze. I had always used an external filter with my previous trailers and had a brain freeze when I did the winterization. Just advising those who are not used to having an internal water filter.
Just Digging It is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter