Old 12-13-2015, 06:30 AM   #1
Easiest leveling method for 8528IKWS

My 5th wheel seems to be heaviest on couch / refrigerator side. Does that make sense. We seem to have a little bit of a rock when walking. Any advice for a sound level job?

OswegoLion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 06:46 AM   #2
Have you done a Search at the Top? Days of reading on this subject! Youroo!!

youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 07:11 AM   #3
Our 8529IKBS is a little heavier on the couch/refrigerator side. While only slightly, I do start out with that side of the rig just a tiny bit higher BEFORE putting the slides out. With my added bedroom slide on the same side, it then becomes level when both slides are out.

I start out by adding whatever necessary under the tires to achieve what I described above for side to side. Then I chock the wheels with the x-chocks, unhook the truck and get the front of the 5th wheel a tiny bit lower than level with the front jacks. I then run the rear stabilizers down. (Remember, the rear stabilizers are not really designed to lift the camper so they basically just get tight when they hit) Next, I bring the camper back to level with the front jacks which allows you to add just a slight bit more pressure on the rear stabs than they can do on their own. Finally, I snug things up with two crank type, manual stabilizers at the frame by the front wheels which I had from previous campers. Someday I may mount them permanently.

As for rocking, short of the frame mounted, cross brace stabilizers like the JT Strong Arms or equivalent, using the leveling method I described above along with the two manual stabilizers on the frame at the front wheels and the x-chocks, I'm pretty happy with the movement. (or lack of) It's plenty good enough for weekend camping. If I were full timing, I would probably spring for the frame mounted cross brace system.
2016 Flagstaff 8529IKBS Diamond Package 5th Wheel
Ford F-Series SCREW 4x4
TST Tire Monitor - Sinemate 3500w Gen.
2016 Nights Camped = 44
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 11:08 AM   #4
Originally Posted by OswegoLion View Post
My 5th wheel seems to be heaviest on couch / refrigerator side. Does that make sense. We seem to have a little bit of a rock when walking. Any advice for a sound level job?
Do you have stabilizers in the rear? If not I would add them. Mine does and they work great. Even when playing with my 70 pound lab the unit doesn't rock when they are adjusted right.

07 Dodge 1500 crew cab with 20" wheels, 08 Forest River Rockwood Signature Ultra-lite 8280SS
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
George Bernard Shaw
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 11:42 AM   #5
Check out something called "Steadyfast" here. We just had this installed. The guy that designed it's an engineer (Paul), and was sick and tired of the rocking motion almost NO stabilizer system could get rid of! I've talked to him 3 times when going thru the ordering/installation process. He makes himself very accessible to folks ordering this system! SteadyFast: 5th Wheel and RV Trailer Stabilizer
livinontop is offline   Reply With Quote

8528, leveling