Old 07-02-2013, 12:03 PM   #1

Electrical Draw

Good Day,

I purchased a 2013 travel trailer model number 832IKBS and I can't seem to run my AC on a 20 Amp breaker. The AC model is 13,500 btu which only draws 17 amp on start up, so there shouldn't be a problem. The campsite manager told me to turn everything off and try it...I did on low and the ac wouldn't kick in (compressor) and on high it tripped their 20 amp breaker. So, botton line I think there may be problems with their power distribution because some campsites are running their ac with no problems and other people can't even run their ac with a 30 amp site. Even my TV was cutting in and out this weekend with the campsites full.

Please help.

Robert Day

Old 07-02-2013, 12:09 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterbinrat View Post
Good Day,

I purchased a 2013 travel trailer model number 832IKBS and I can't seem to run my AC on a 20 Amp breaker. The AC model is 13,500 btu which only draws 17 amp on start up, so there shouldn't be a problem. The campsite manager told me to turn everything off and try it...I did on low and the ac wouldn't kick in (compressor) and on high it tripped their 20 amp breaker. So, botton line I think there may be problems with their power distribution because some campsites are running their ac with no problems and other people can't even run their ac with a 30 amp site. Even my TV was cutting in and out this weekend with the campsites full.

Please help.

Robert Day
Why cant you plug into the 30 amp at the power pedestal?

Here's a few reasons you may not be able to run it on 20 amp circuit.

Fridge requires 5-8 amps on shore power.

Water heater 9-13 amps on electric.

Remember your converter is on 2-8 amp draw.
A/c may draw over 20 amps to start especially if its hot and humid.
Good chance there's actually not enough voltage at power pole "ie" less than 110v.

Shut off all breakers in camper except "main" and a/c breaker and see if it starts.

Also get yourself a digital vokt ohm meter and always check power pedestal before plugging in.

Turbs

Old 07-02-2013, 12:15 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I have to believe it an issue with camp ground power.
I'd never go back and I'd also ask for a refund.
You pay for 20 amps worth of service you should get it.
Besides that you'll never get your camper to trully run 20 amp since it wasn't designed for it and I'm not sure why you'd pick a 20 amp site to begin with.

This may be helpful in the future.

normal appliance amp draws
Turbs
Old 07-02-2013, 12:19 PM   #4
Site Team

As Turbs asked, is there a reason you're not plugged into a 30 amp outlet, and are using a 20 amp one instead?

Your Air Conditioner may be requiring more than 17 amps to start. We just had another member in the forums, state that their A/C was requiring much more than 17 amps to start.

If you are at a campground with low voltage, this affects your amps......as amps is not a static number and will fluctuate with voltage.

A device that needs 10 amps at 120 volts.... would need 10.9 amps at 110 volts

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:40 PM   #5

Gents,

I'm using 20 amp service because it was the only pedestal remaining. I did mention friends of ours were on a 30 amp breaker and they couldn't run their AC, and didn't trip their breaker...which leads me to believe there maybe something wrong with the electrical grid. I will try shuting off all breakers with the exception of the ac one. Even running my ac fan on high it fluatated up and down.
I'm also using an extention cord (14/3 x 60 ft) to reach my trailer.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:41 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
As Turbs asked, is there a reason you're not plugged into a 30 amp outlet, and are using a 20 amp one instead?

Your Air Conditioner may be requiring more than 17 amps to start. We just had another member in the forums, state that their A/C was requiring much more than 17 amps to start.

If you are at a campground with low voltage, this affects your amps......as amps is not a static number and will fluctuate with voltage.

A device that needs 10 amps at 120 volts.... would need 10.9 amps at 110 volts
I believe the a/c in question was a coleman mach a/c which requires upwards of 28 amps to start.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:42 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterbinrat View Post
Gents,

I'm using 20 amp service because it was the only pedestal remaining. I did mention friends of ours were on a 30 amp breaker and they couldn't run their AC, and didn't trip their breaker...which leads me to believe there maybe something wrong with the electrical grid. I will try shuting off all breakers with the exception of the ac one. Even running my ac fan on high it fluatated up and down.
I'm also using an extention cord (14/3 x 60 ft) to reach my trailer.
There's another problem.....
14/3 cord 60'
Only good for max of 15 amps at 50'

You need minimum of 12 ga and 10 ga would be better at 50'

Not to mention you probably have you actual cord hooked to the ext. Cord which would make it even worse.

Turbs
Old 07-02-2013, 12:46 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Here's a generic chart.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130702_114644.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	34441