Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2012, 06:39 AM   #1

Electrical panel

Im a newbie to fifth wheel, so maybe this was asked before but i don't see it.
So question is in the electrical panel i have 2 brakers that i don't understand the abbreviation. No 1 is called GFI, and another one is called GFI conv.
Second question where can i find the water filtration unit as i would like to change the filter inside. The unit is a 2009 Flagstaff 8524 RLS bought last december and trying to get everything working right. Thanks for your help Michel from Chateauguay, Quebec
micalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:50 AM   #2

Hi Michel,
I don't have a 5er but I will take a stab at this answer. What I think is one breaker feeds the GFI (ground fault protection outlets) that are located in wet areas, such as by the sink and in the bathroom. The one labeled GFI conv seems like it feeds the outlet that the AC to DC converter is feed from.

For the filter, I would look near the water inlet lines and before the water pump.
2012 Rockwood 2109S (Sold)
2014 Cougar X-Lite 21RBS

wbdvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:29 AM   #3
Site Team - Lou

My 2010 Flagstaff is sufficiently similar to yours that I have "the answer" I think.

In my camper:
The one marked GFI is the outlet circuit that goes from the center of the camper to the front. It includes the wall outlet on the kitchen counter; all the outlets in the bathroom, the wall where the BR TV goes; and the outlets on either side of the bed.

The one marked GFI - CONV is all the outlets in the Rear Living Room; the entertainment center and the Kitchen outlet by the range on the side of the cabinet. It also includes the AC to DC power converter (not inverter - DC to AC), thus "CONV"

The Water Filter in mine is actually located in the kitchen cabinet under the sink. It is NOT accessible from there though. You gain access by removing a panel in the basement on the "hookup" side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6 June 2009 025.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	11838  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:44 AM   #4

Good morning Herk 7769. I think you covered it all very clearly to me. Picture is great.Thanks
Old 04-08-2012, 08:02 AM   #5

I swear that the manufacturer's must START with the water filter, and then build the entire unit around the filter, so that no matter HOW HARD you try, it's completly inaccessable. That is, unless you are a pigmy contortionist!!!!

And it must be a CONTEST between the different manufacturers.... With my previous unit, a Jayco HTT, you had to lay sideways on the floor, and inside the undersink compartment, BEHIND the sink bowl, partially hidden from view, you'd find the filter. It HAD to have been installed before the sink was installed in the countertop. (Without the sink bowl in place, it would be EASY to access!)

On my current Rockwood, it's just a little better. It's in the nose compartment, against the front of the bed support, where you have to climb half-way into the compartment to get to it.. Trouble is that they installed the filter bracket, then installed all of the plumbing around it, so there is NO WAY to remove the filter cartridge without tipping it on it's side, dumping the contents onto the floor. And did I mention that it's installed over the section where they extended the carpet from the bedroom interior under the bed support, so that when you DO spill water, it soaks into the carpet????

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB
2022 Ford Ranger toad
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:20 AM   #6

Fortunately not all of the Forest River brands bury their water filter. My CC Silverback has it on the drivers side of the fifth wheel.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:33 AM   #7

Hi Oakman, this is a very well done set-up. Everything at one place and very neetly done. They should all be like that.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:48 AM   #8
J. Parham

When I bought my unit I had the filter removed for the accessibility issues. I use an external filter for the season then throw away.
Nights Camped in 2012: 85
snjparham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:08 AM   #9
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
Fortunately not all of the Forest River brands bury their water filter. My CC Silverback has it on the drivers side of the fifth wheel.

Oakman - a great shot and that is the setup in my Silverback 29rk.

And also if I may use your photo to show where the Silverback Battery Disconnect is located - it is the red key left of the water filter and you simply turn it to the desired position - connect or disconnect. You can remove the key when the switch is set to the Disconnect position.

I know Battery Disconnects have been a topic of discussion here lately and perhaps this will answer some of the questions - at least for the Silverback owners here.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote