Old 09-07-2014, 01:42 PM   #1

Electrical problem

Help
27 Rlws Flagstaff
Last week I had a coffee maker and a floor heater both running and plugged into the same outlet near the floor to the left of the television (I know - stupid thing to do). Now I have no power to that outlet or to the television. I've checked the breakers and fuses and the Gfr plugs and they are all okay. I've replaced the living area 15 amp fuse and it too didn't restore power. I've checked the three 30 amp fuses under the Trailor and they are okay. I removed the outlet in question and my volt meter registers no power to the wires coming into it. I can't really get at the outlet under the TV to check the wires but it also is without power. The floor outlet on the right side near the couch works fine as do all the other outlets and lights and appliances. My next step is to bring it to the dealer but that's a 45 mile drive. Has anyone out there had this problem and know how to fix it or is there a fuse or gfi plug that i have missed? The bathroom outlet is the only gfi I'm aware of. Im hopeful that the forum can help me out.
Thanks to you all for being there to bounce these things off of.

Larsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 01:53 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larsone View Post
Help
27 Rlws Flagstaff
Last week I had a coffee maker and a floor heater both running and plugged into the same outlet near the floor to the left of the television (I know - stupid thing to do). Now I have no power to that outlet or to the television. I've checked the breakers and fuses and the Gfr plugs and they are all okay. I've replaced the living area 15 amp fuse and it too didn't restore power. I've checked the three 30 amp fuses under the Trailor and they are okay. I removed the outlet in question and my volt meter registers no power to the wires coming into it. I can't really get at the outlet under the TV to check the wires but it also is without power. The floor outlet on the right side near the couch works fine as do all the other outlets and lights and appliances. My next step is to bring it to the dealer but that's a 45 mile drive. Has anyone out there had this problem and know how to fix it or is there a fuse or gfi plug that i have missed? The bathroom outlet is the only gfi I'm aware of. Im hopeful that the forum can help me out.
Thanks to you all for being there to bounce these things off of.
Howdy, hate to hear about this problem.

First off, the fuses protect only the 12 volt stuff (fans, lights, t-stats, etc), so you can probably quit chasing that angle.

We are concerned with the 120 volt. I would turn off all the circuit breakers "completely" then turn them back on again....just to make sure one is not tripped and needs to be reset.

The fact you said there is no power to the wires coming into the outlet, lead me to believe you either have a breaker tripped (which is what should have happened with the two appliances you had on it),.............. or you possibly have another gfci outlet that is tripped upstream of this outlet...thus cutting power to it.

Check your bathroom and kitchen for a gfci and reset them (the 2 most common places as the gfci are around sinks). Sometimes even your outside gfci (like in a storage compartment) can be tripped thus cutting power to any outlets on the same circuit.

Hope this helps

I would still believe it to be a circuit breaker tripping as a coffee maker and floor heater should easily have overwhelmed a 15 amp circuit.

Words are powerful.
Choose them good.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 02:24 PM   #3

Electrical problem

Thank you MT Tire for your reply
I did all you suggested but still no power. I checked for gfi outlets outside the Trailor as well as in the storage compartment and the water heater compartment. The only resettable gfi I can find is the one in the bathroom. Any other thoughts?
Old 09-07-2014, 02:31 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Thank you MT Tire for your reply
I did all you suggested but still no power. I checked for gfi outlets outside the Trailor as well as in the storage compartment and the water heater compartment. The only resettable gfi I can find is the one in the bathroom. Any other thoughts?
You check around the kitchen sink. May be on the side of the counter, or underneath a cabinet.

Also did you turn all the breakers completely off and back on again.

Words are powerful.
Choose them good.
Old 09-07-2014, 02:53 PM   #5

X2 what WMtire said.
You have to have something tripped either a breaker or GFI. Not likely anything burned out.
Old 09-07-2014, 02:59 PM   #6

Electrical problem

It's sounds like a gfi. Mind did thatcher I was running two ceramic heaters. There are a couple of gfi outlets in our TT. Look around for them.
Check the devise you had plugged in and see if it isn't defective.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
Slympicins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 03:10 PM   #7

Might try checking the voltage at each breaker. Then if you have voltage coming out of each breaker then you know your breakers are all good and the problem is elsewhere in the circuit.
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 06:49 PM   #8

Quote:
... I removed the outlet in question and my volt meter registers no power to the wires coming into it.
I take it that the wires or the outlet exhibited no burn marks or I assume you would havce mentioned it.

I agree with the other comments that it must be a tripped breaker. I know that you said the breakers were "okay" but it is important that the breaker is cycled fully to the off position and then fully and firmly to the on position.

Someone else suggested checking the current either side of the breaker and another suggested looking for the other GFCI resettable outlet which should be the outlet by the kitchen sink. I don't have my trailer nearby or else I could check it.
2010 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3L | K&N filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
Wmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 07:57 PM   #9

Electrical problem

I thank all of you for the ideas and your time taken to help me out with this problem. I've firmly re-cycled all the breakers to no avail. There were no burn marks on any wires or outlets. There are no other gfi outlets that I can find. I agree that a gfi would make the most sense explaining this problem. I'm stumped at this point and will call the dealer tomorrow. Hopefully they can get me in next Friday and we can get this sorted out. Its a new camper so it should be under warrentee. It will probably be something simple and I will feel foolish but I will let you know on this thread what the cause was.
Old 09-07-2014, 09:12 PM   #10

If you did all that you said then I doubt that it would be something elementary. Good luck at the dealer.
2010 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3L | K&N filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
Wmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 09:39 PM   #11
Site Team

Doing a quick google search for pics of your trailer produced this one. I can't see clearly enough on the pic, but have you checked the outlet in the pic to see if it is a gfci type?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	27rlws.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	62362  

Words are powerful.
Choose them good.
Old 09-07-2014, 09:45 PM   #12

It could be a bad GFCI device. One say of checking is assuming your TT is plugged into power, you should be able to use your ohm meter and check between the neutral and ground wires for continuity. Assuming you don't have continuity then you likely have a GFCI problem as the open both of hot ans neutral lines.
Old 09-07-2014, 09:46 PM   #13

Check all the other outlets in your rig and see which don't have power to both receptacles.. It is possible that when they wired it there was a loose connection and it failed..

Dumb question... When you checked your receptacle for power you went to the black wire or the small screw on the receptacle to white or to ground? And your meter was set to AC volts?

TT: 2013 26' Revere TBQB
TV: 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 Z71 4x4
glen1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 09:49 PM   #14

Do you have power to any other outlets in your unit? Could you have possibly tripped a breaker where the trailer is plugged in? I would make sure you have the proper voltage coming into your unit.
mcnabbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:46 AM   #15

If you have a GFCI outlet with no power (and you can't reset it) it is probably the one causing trouble.

Started Out With Nothing,
Still Have Most Of It Left!
jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 06:14 AM   #16

A GFCI outlet often has three to five addition outlets "following" it in that circuit. The first GFCI in the circuit protects all the rest of the outlets after it, like a breaker. If the GFCI is tripped all of the outlets after it will also be tripped. When you get the problem corrected be happy...the safety features may have saved your life.
Toyota Tundra
SparkeyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 06:46 PM   #17

[QUOTE=jwedell;697117]If you have a GFCI outlet with no power (and you can't reset it) it is probably the one causing trouble. QUOTE]

Most newer GFCI receps also won't reset unless power is supplied to it. If there's a problem with the power that supplies the device, it won't reset and might cause someone to blame the GFCI.
Old 09-12-2014, 05:07 PM   #18

Electrical problem, update

Dealer has the camper to repair the problem of no power at two of the outlets. I will call them back next week to see what they found. Their initial look indicates a fault in the neutral wire in the area under the television. they have to disassemble the cabinets to get to the wire.
I do thank you all for your help and will let you know the final answer after its repaired.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:10 PM   #19

Larsone

Once more I want to thank you all for the great advice.
The camper is now fixed. It was a neutral wire pulled out of one of the outlets. Don't know how that happens?
At any rate, the problem is solved and I hope the answer helps someone else sometime. We're in storage now for the winter. Everyone have a good winter and we'll see you in the campground next summer.
Gene
Old 09-25-2014, 07:17 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Once more I want to thank you all for the great advice.
The camper is now fixed. It was a neutral wire pulled out of one of the outlets. Don't know how that happens?
At any rate, the problem is solved and I hope the answer helps someone else sometime. We're in storage now for the winter. Everyone have a good winter and we'll see you in the campground next summer.
Gene
Gene, thanks for taking the time to post the answer to your puzzle. We really appreciate knowing what causes various problems.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 =111/'19 = 86; booked = 0
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical