Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2018, 09:44 PM   #1

EPro 17rk newbie questions

Hi all. I'm s new owner if a 2018 Epro E17rk. I have some questions.... 1) in the event of a slideout failure, HOW do I manually retract it? 2) In the event of a power awning failure, HOW I manually retract and keep it rolled until help can be found? I'm sure I'll come up with more questions as I use the unit, but these are the top two disasters that can ruin a day.... the documentation doesn't mention anything about these issues. Are there any hidden fuses NOT on the power center box? I'm towing it with 2016 Toyota Tacoma 5 speed, 4liter, with beefed up suspension. Tows Ok, but the mileage goes from 19.5 down to 10 mpg I can't imagine this trailer being towed by front wheel drive minivans, and other small vehicles. The Tacoma is barely acceptable, and I may need to look into a full sized pickup.
rmwac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 11:06 PM   #2
Site Team

Did you not get the manual for the slide or the awning?
If not, download them from the manufacturer.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 11:01 AM   #3

Slide-out Failure

@RMWAC: This was one of my primary questions when I picked up my 17RK yesterday. Unfortunately, there is no "easy" solution. There are essentially two ways:

DISCLAIMER: The info below was relayed to me by the service tech from whom I purchased my RV, and is not from FR themselves. Do your homework before taking advice like this from anyone, including me. :-)

Option 1: you would have to disengage the rollers (both sides, top and bottom) located behind the exterior seal(s) and manually push the slide back in (aka: brute force). I'm leery of this option due to my lack of knowledge on slide-outs and I'm likely to be mad enough at that point to break expensive stuff. :-).

Option 2 (preferred by me): the slide-out motor/mechanism is located under the refrigerator, and of course there is no access panel. I am considering cutting and installing an access panel as soon as I find one that isn't aesthetically gruesome. Once inside, I'm told there is a magic control panel with a magic button. You press this button 6 times and then hold the button on the 7th push. This is supposed to reset the slide and allow you to retract. NOTE: DO SO VERY CAREFULLY. If your slide is cockeyed, it will not automatically stop (due to the magic button process) and you could cause some serious damage to your slide/coach. Hopefully there is a mechanical override process (like a crank) as in many other slide designs.

As one other comment suggested, I would contact Forest River directly and get as much documentation/information as possible before trying either of these options. (I will be doing this also)

Then again, how often do components in travel trailer actually fail? (I couldn't even keep a straight face while typing that...) :-)

Good luck!
BlainoMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 12:19 PM   #4

I had to determine what Manufacturer of Slide Out mechanism I had and then go to their website to find the manual retract nut on my TT. Couldn't find anything from the Owner's Manual. You'll probably need to do the same thing for the Awning Maker. As for extra fuses, you should have at least one in line fuse up near the battery box. As for MPG, I kinda get the same out of my Canyon, however, I get much better when I'm not hooked up to the TT so it's much better for me than moving up to bigger truck and less MPG during the commute.
emoney is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags