Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2015, 07:23 PM   #1

Eternabond question

My new Vlite TT has a rubber roof that goes to the side, meets the fiberglass, caulked at the edge, and then goes down about an inch before it gets to the small gutter. Has anyone installed Eternabond on this type of roof?

On my previous RV (motorhome), I installed Eternabond. It had a roof that went toward the edge but about 4 inches prior to edge it stopped and merged with aluminum that then went over the edge. Thus creating a flat surface about 4 inches before curving down. Eternabond was very easy to installed where the rubber roof and aluminum met, because of the flat surface. I am reluctant to try the Eternabond on the curved surface of my new TT because it only gives me about an inch to work with on the downward slope.
txredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 05:26 PM   #2
Senior Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by txredfish View Post
My new Vlite TT has a rubber roof that goes to the side, meets the fiberglass, caulked at the edge, and then goes down about an inch before it gets to the small gutter. Has anyone installed Eternabond on this type of roof?

On my previous RV (motorhome), I installed Eternabond. It had a roof that went toward the edge but about 4 inches prior to edge it stopped and merged with aluminum that then went over the edge. Thus creating a flat surface about 4 inches before curving down. Eternabond was very easy to installed where the rubber roof and aluminum met, because of the flat surface. I am reluctant to try the Eternabond on the curved surface of my new TT because it only gives me about an inch to work with on the downward slope.
I just finished installing a maxxair fan system in the front kitchen. I used Eternabond to seal the install. I am not sure how much more I will put on the roof. It looks like to me there's not enough room on the sides to get it stuck down good. I would want at least two inches of flat to insure a good bond.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:08 PM   #3

I just taped up the 4 corners of my FR Georgetown 335 with eternabond tape. The corners are rounded from the top to the drip rail to the roof top. So on the first corner i ran 4" tape from the drip rail up to roof top and over about 6" of the Dicor sealant over the joint between end cap and walls. Problem i had was that the tape wanted to bunch up because of the curve, not supposed to stretch it so let it go and just made sure that any bunched up areas were pressed down. The other corners i decided to take 4" by 4" strips and then layered them one over the other from the drip rail up to flat of roof and Dicor sealant on seam. Think i used about 5 or 6 strips to do this, with each over lapping the first by about a inch and a half. Found that way avoided the bunching caused by going over the curved surface. There was enough surface to get good adhesion, even on the curved surface, and with the layering i am sure it will never leak. Next i am going to run eternabond tape from the top of the corners across the full width to the opposite corner across the full front and end caps. Also just so you know, they make it in Black, Tan and White, so used the black on the front corners and tan on the back corners and will use the white for up on the roof. This stuff sticks to any surface except for silicone so make sure that you remove any silicone from the surface before you apply it.
DuncanM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eternabond