Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2016, 01:43 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 57
Extended Warranty

Just signed paperwork to purchase a new Flagstaff Classic Super Lite 832IKBS. Nothing is final. Will sign that when we do the PDI in a couple of weeks. The dealer is wanting us to do the Extended Warranty thing, not overly high pressure.

I was just wondering if it was really worth it on a new unit. The dealer pitch is that with us purchasing it now we do not have to pay for the $400.00 inspection fee that we would have to next year.

I am of the opinion that us purchasing a 5 year warranty that takes effect immediately running concurrently with the Manuf. Warranty is a waste of money.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
__________________

SubVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 05:21 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 2,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubVet View Post
I was just wondering if it was really worth it on a new unit. The dealer pitch is that with us purchasing it now we do not have to pay for the $400.00 inspection fee that we would have to next year.
Thanks

After purchase buy the Flagstaff 2nd year factory warranty which you purchase yourself, directly from Flagstaff @ $150.

What they are telling you is nothing more than a sales pitch for the extended warranty of which they get to keep a huge percentage of the cost as profit, and it will usually have so many loopholes and outs for the warranty provider that its essentially worthless. Flagstaff has no requirement that you pay for some kind of an "inspection" every year for $400. That's a load of Bullcaca.
__________________

Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 06:24 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Witch Doctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Clarksville Va.
Posts: 10,061
Forget it and just get the 2nd year from FR. You are correct you will lose the first two years on the extended, so your really buying a 3 year. You should have all the bugs worked out in the first two years. For a $150.00 for the second year is a deal.
__________________
Coachmen M/H
Concord
2018 / 300 DSC

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 06:59 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Waynesville
Posts: 13,892
Did this Dealer or Stealer tell you about the F/R 2nd year Warr. for 150.00$ in regards to the Flagstaff? When you said, Not overly high pressure, was the Red flag? Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 09:08 AM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 57
Thanks for the responses. I was not too comfortable with the Warranty they were trying to add on. I think I will do without the package they were trying to sell.

Thanks,
SubVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 10:36 AM   #6
Member
 
Brim1162's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Arlington
Posts: 77
Get the second year warranty for buck fifty worth every penny!!!!


Brim & Dee Cary
Arlington Texas
Flagstaff 8528IKWS
GMC 2500
__________________
Brim & Dee Cary
2015 GMC Sierra 6.0 Flex
2015 SL 85281KWS
DFW Texas
Brim1162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 11:17 AM   #7
Site Team
 
Flybob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 10,348
Our dealer kept touting the FREE lifetime warranty that covered everything. It only required an annual inspection by a certified RV service facility. That amounted to $400 plus labor and materials for any needed repairs or adjustments ( probably another $100-$200). Other than the 2nd yr from FR the remaining extended warranties are just added sales profit. Way too many loopholes and if they do cover a repair, it will take forever. Save the money and pay for repairs you will most likely be ahead of the game.
__________________

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 11:36 AM   #8
Georgia Rally Coordinator
 
aceinspp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: GA
Posts: 14,761
Buy the 2nd year warranty from FR at $150 and your money ahead. I'd say in two years everything should be good on the camper. Ask the the dealer for the form. Later RJD
__________________
2015 35 FT V-Lite 30WRLIKS Diamond Package
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10 gear
Days camped 2017 62
Days camped 2018 67
Days camped 2019 57
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 11:47 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubVet View Post
Just signed paperwork to purchase a new Flagstaff Classic Super Lite 832IKBS. Nothing is final. Will sign that when we do the PDI in a couple of weeks. The dealer is wanting us to do the Extended Warranty thing, not overly high pressure.

I was just wondering if it was really worth it on a new unit. The dealer pitch is that with us purchasing it now we do not have to pay for the $400.00 inspection fee that we would have to next year.

I am of the opinion that us purchasing a 5 year warranty that takes effect immediately running concurrently with the Manuf. Warranty is a waste of money.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Total agreement. So it's not a 5 year warranty, it's now a 3 year warranty. Huge profit maker for the dealer. Run don't walk...If you must have one wait until your factory warranty runs out then look at the Good Sam product. At least they have of a chance of still being in busines to service your claim, unlike some of the others that go out of business anually taking your money with them..
__________________
2015 Chev Silverado 3500 dually D/A
2016 Cedar Creek 36CK
B&W Patriot 18K, Trail-Aire pinbox,
Level up, dual panes & all that stuff...
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 11:49 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Our dealer kept touting the FREE lifetime warranty that covered everything. It only required an annual inspection by a certified RV service facility. That amounted to $400 plus labor and materials for any needed repairs or adjustments ( probably another $100-$200). Other than the 2nd yr from FR the remaining extended warranties are just added sales profit. Way too many loopholes and if they do cover a repair, it will take forever. Save the money and pay for repairs you will most likely be ahead of the game.
So the "Free" warranty really isn't free. You can bet they will always find something to fix after their "inspection" that won't be covered. It's like a license to steal..
__________________
2015 Chev Silverado 3500 dually D/A
2016 Cedar Creek 36CK
B&W Patriot 18K, Trail-Aire pinbox,
Level up, dual panes & all that stuff...
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 04:27 PM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 57
Thanks for the comments, I think I will just to the second year from FR and then wing it.

Thanks
SubVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 06:39 PM   #12
Member
 
Brim1162's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Arlington
Posts: 77
I'm confused about this annual inspection for four hundred dollars? We have to have safety inspection in Texas but there 7.50 a year


Brim & Dee Cary
Arlington Texas
Flagstaff 8528IKWS
GMC 2500
__________________
Brim & Dee Cary
2015 GMC Sierra 6.0 Flex
2015 SL 85281KWS
DFW Texas
Brim1162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 06:50 PM   #13
Site Team
 
Flybob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 10,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brim1162 View Post
I'm confused about this annual inspection for four hundred dollars? We have to have safety inspection in Texas but there 7.50 a year
Brim & Dee Cary
Arlington Texas
Flagstaff 8528IKWS
GMC 2500
This is not a State safety inspection. It is essentially a way to make money. The items are the same ones that the owners manual say should be inspected such as roof, brakes, drain WH etc. All items on list are things I do several times a year and take an hour at best. The dealer wanted 4 hours plus cost of fixing /adjusting anything they found. It all had to be done by aniv date each year or warranty was void.
__________________

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 08:43 PM   #14
Member
 
Brim1162's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Arlington
Posts: 77
Gotcha,


Brim & Dee Cary
Arlington Texas
Flagstaff 8528IKWS
GMC 2500
__________________
Brim & Dee Cary
2015 GMC Sierra 6.0 Flex
2015 SL 85281KWS
DFW Texas
Brim1162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 06:18 PM   #15
Ddb
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1
We did buy the forever warranty and would not do so again. We haven't had any issues in almost 2 years (knock on wood) but we're told the inspection cost was only $100. Not the case with the first year. They wanted to charge double that and tried to tell us there were water heater repairs needed that were not covered. We'll most likely cut our losses and do our own periodic inspections.
Ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 05:19 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
LTnTN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
After purchase buy the Flagstaff 2nd year factory warranty which you purchase yourself, directly from Flagstaff @ $150.

What they are telling you is nothing more than a sales pitch for the extended warranty of which they get to keep a huge percentage of the cost as profit, and it will usually have so many loopholes and outs for the warranty provider that its essentially worthless. Flagstaff has no requirement that you pay for some kind of an "inspection" every year for $400. That's a load of Bullcaca.

Ditto, from experience. Buy the FR second year, but keep your money in your pocket instead of the 3rd party aftermarket warranty. Too many loopholes!

I had the lighting wiring in my slide short out due to abrasion on an exposed screw. They said it was a "fastener problem" and that's not covered. Fortunately, FR paid for half the repair, even though their warranty had expired.



2015 Flagstaff 8528RKWS
2013 Ford F-150 Ecobeast
__________________

LTnTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
warranty

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:37 PM.


×