Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2013, 10:34 PM   #1

Exterior Height of V-Lite?

My father-in-law saw a V-Lite this weekend at the campground we're at this weekend and he was really interested in it. One of the most appealing things about it was that the exterior height appears to be lower than his current travel trailer. The lower height would potentially allow him to store it in his shed at home rather than offsite. I looked at the forest river site and it appears the exterior height is 9'10" which would fit inside his 10' doors. From anyone's experience, is this measurement accurate? Does this height include the A/C?
Old 09-02-2013, 10:41 AM   #2

It should include the AC, but which AC? Can we be sure that if / when they decide to switch AC units the marketing folks are in the loop and the brochures / website are updated? What about if it comes with an optional 15k BTU unit instead of a 13.5k BTU unit the height is not different (and the dimensions updated).

I my opinion the alleged clearance is too close for comfort, especially if an RV purchase is depending on it. The only way I would proceed with this would be to go to a dealership with a theodolite and take measurements at the actual highest point (could be something other than the AC shroud) before actually buying. Just my 2 cents.
2010 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3L | K&N filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
Wmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:44 AM   #3

Z2. As the saying goes: better check the trailer you have in mind at the dealer lot then to be sorry later before entering the barn. :-)
Flying dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 02:13 PM   #4

I have the 2013 30WRLS and it just squeaks into my 12 foot door. Clears the ac by about 2" so that number you have must be without ac. Better to be safe and go measure though. What model is it that you're talking about?
Equal-i-zer 4-pt
Mkayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:48 PM   #5

I roughly measured my 2012 30WRLTS V Lite is 13' to the top of the radio antennae.
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:17 PM   #6
NELA

Our V-Lite (see model in signature) measures roughly 10'9".

We have two of the 15,000 BTU units on top of ours, which are taller than the vent covers, etc.

DH just climbed the ladder for me and did a line of sight measure on the A/C units and measured from there to the ground.

To be absolutely safe we'll say 11 ft.

I'd be very wary of buying with no more clearance variant than what you stated. Those 2 inches could result in a disaster if it's not backed in totally level.

Now we're questioning our measurement...will go out in a bit and re-check.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by clange View Post
My father-in-law saw a V-Lite this weekend at the campground we're at this weekend and he was really interested in it. One of the most appealing things about it was that the exterior height appears to be lower than his current travel trailer. The lower height would potentially allow him to store it in his shed at home rather than offsite. I looked at the forest river site and it appears the exterior height is 9'10" which would fit inside his 10' doors. From anyone's experience, is this measurement accurate? Does this height include the A/C?
Back in that Garage, you'll have instant full length skylight! I walked by one her in campground, I'd start at 11' with accessories and then measure it....
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:21 PM   #8

I appreciate all the help. I was skeptical of the 9'10" measurement I saw on the FR website. My FIL hasn't indicated what model he'd be interested in, but I imagine the 28WRBS would probably be one he would be most interested in.

A trip with the trusty ole tape measure will likely be in order...