Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2019, 01:26 PM   #1

Fan in vent opening

I just got a new Flagstaff 21FBRS and am looking at putting a Maxxair deluxe fan in the front vent opening. There are wires in the opening but their for the ceiling lights which are LED. I'd rather run a new wire some how but can't figure the best way to do it. Anyone out here ever put a fan in this opening and how did you contact to electric? Thanks
Old 03-22-2019, 06:49 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkreck View Post
I just got a new Flagstaff 21FBRS and am looking at putting a Maxxair deluxe fan in the front vent opening. There are wires in the opening but their for the ceiling lights which are LED. I'd rather run a new wire some how but can't figure the best way to do it. Anyone out here ever put a fan in this opening and how did you contact to electric? Thanks

If you can find where the ceiling light wires start you can try this. Have someone hold the wire in the ceiling and then tug on wires you can see behind cabinet partitions etc. If the wire you are tugging on also moves at the other person's location and it's directly proportional to your tugs, you've found the wire.

Now for the fun part. Cut the wire you found in the ceiling, leaving a long enough piece on the light side so you can add some crimp splices.

Get TWO pieces of wire just like the wire in the ceiling and connect the TWO tightly to the wire you've been tugging back and forth. Using the wire you found (hopefully close to the power panel) pull the TWO wires back across the ceiling and down the wall.

Use one wire to restore power to the light circuit you cut into using the crimp splices. Continue on with the other wire and connect it to an unused terminal on the DC side of your power distribution panel. In my panel there were two unused positions and all I needed to do to make a connection for an accessory I added was to fasten wire to open terminal and insert a fuse in the open position. That takes care of the positive wire. The negative wire just gets attached to an open position in the NEGATIVE DC BUS. It's a long strip with a bunch of screws that have a whole bunch of white wires attached. In my TT it's attached to the floor behind the power distribution panel/converter unit. Don't use the neutral bus you will see inside the power panel/converter unit. That's for the A/C circuits.

BTW, fish around in the ceiling area as far as you can. There just might be an unused wire in there that was for an optional fan that wasn't installed.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 07:14 PM   #3

If the ceiling lights are switch at the light itself, I would just use those same wires. Fans do not pull much current and the LEDs draw hardly any.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 07:16 PM   #4

Thanks I might give that a try if I can't come up with something else.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkreck View Post
Thanks I might give that a try if I can't come up with something else.
I am doing that exact thing when I get time.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 01:08 PM   #6

In the process of changing our vent cover, we were happy to find wires for a ceiling fan in place though it did require removing the entire vent assembly and caulk before installing the new vent with fan. Really handy when cooking.
First Mate = Xiangbing
Crew = Radar, NiuNiu & NaNa
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 01:51 PM   #7

The MH we had before this TT had the wires already in the vent, I don't understand why they didn't pre install wires on the TT. I know there are others out here looking at doing a fan in the vent.

Tags
fan, vent