Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2018, 08:46 AM   #1

FBRS21 recliner

We have a Fbrs21 with the jackknife sofa. It's just my wife and I so we will never use it as a bed. We have been looking to replace this with sa reclining loveseat. Has anyone found or replaced their sofa with recliners? If you have where did you get them?
tdiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 11:00 AM   #2

I got a beautiful power recliner from a furniture store.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7FA1548E-81B2-4393-A052-DE46F1C01A9B.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	274.8 KB
ID:	183621  
HeyJude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 03:07 PM   #3

Nice but does it sit up on the slide out platform? Isn't that a bit too high for sitting? And the old sofa had a cover for the area in front of the slide platform.

That picture doesn't look like the slide out in a 21fbrs either.
Old 08-20-2018, 05:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdiller View Post
We have a Fbrs21 with the jackknife sofa. It's just my wife and I so we will never use it as a bed. We have been looking to replace this with sa reclining loveseat. Has anyone found or replaced their sofa with recliners? If you have where did you get them?
We replaced our sofa with recliners like those pictured from a company called RecPro. They do sit a little high but we're ok with it. The decorative panel where your heels rest we just tossed. The fun part was installing the recliners but if I can do it so can you. Good luck.
Luke Moseley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 10:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Moseley View Post
We replaced our sofa with recliners like those pictured from a company called RecPro. They do sit a little high but we're ok with it. The decorative panel where your heels rest we just tossed. The fun part was installing the recliners but if I can do it so can you. Good luck.

I have called recpro since they seem to be one of a handfull of manufacturers. What model did you purchase and how far from the floor to the seating is it?
Old 08-27-2018, 04:48 PM   #6

We replaced ours with re pro 68" recliners. If I remember, roughly 4" from back wall, completely fit onto slide. Came in 3 boxes, assembled in slide, then screwed down.Click image for larger version

Name:	20180407_174928.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	462.2 KB
ID:	184606
wvram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 07:44 AM   #7

that doesn't look like mine are you sure you got the model number right my 21fbrs has a platform the sofa sits on
rp53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 08:30 AM   #8

Just replaced mine this week in my wildcat. Had to cut up the couch to get it out. Removed the spring set first. Dual recliner love seat came in the door just fine. 60" wide. Ashley Furniture. No Leather in this house. Been there done that.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 04:51 PM   #9

Quote:
pictures please
Old 08-28-2018, 09:45 PM   #10

pictures please
Old 08-31-2018, 09:06 AM   #11

BUMP i would like to see pictures very interested in doing this
Old 09-04-2018, 08:18 AM   #12

OK so I did some measuring over the weekend. RecPro says you need 36.5 inches for their wallhugger recliner/loveseat. The platform in the 21fbrs is maybe just enough. Kind of hard to measure since the side rails interfere with measuring. Even if not enough the platform looks like it could be "extended" with a bit of simple carpentry. Also the width is more than I expected at about 70 inches so a loveseat/recliner with a wider center console would fit.

Now for the drawback.. The platform sits 13 inches high. This means that if the standard seating for a sofa is about 18 inches from floor to seat you would have a sofa that the seat is at about 30-32 inches from floor to where you park your butt.

I'd need a step ladder to get into the recliner since I only have a 30 inch inseam. All in all it is a doable situation but there are some drawbacks. Also the false front of the existing setup would have to go leaving the underside of the platform exposed. Not a problem you could just drape some fabric (which you can buy from recpro to match the sofa). Not sure if I am going to do this yet or not.
Old 09-04-2018, 10:53 PM   #13

Two more things to consider. One, will the slide out handle the weight of the recliners? And two, how much will the weight of the recliners eat into your cargo carrying capacity?
We have a 2016 FBRS and they would cut into the capacity quite a bit, but I believe 2017 and newer have more capacity.
I planned on extending the platform slightly like you said and also building a step supported by a couple of rollers in front of that. But for me it cut into the CCC too much. Hope you find a solution, the jack knife sofa is the only thing I can complain about on our trailer.
MLBHSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 09:29 AM   #14

Since it is just my wife and I , I am not too worried about cargo capacity. Recpro site claims the recliner sofa to be about 166 pounds. The table that comes with the 21fbrs weighs quite a bit and is stored normally in the slide. Most folks have removed it and gone to a tv tray setup so there is weight shaved there. Also I don;t know how much others have stuffed in the storage compartment on the slide but with some re-arranging of things I don;t think the 166 pound recliner will have much affect.
Old 09-05-2018, 01:11 PM   #15

Quote:
OK so I did some measuring over the weekend. RecPro says you need 36.5 inches for their wallhugger recliner/loveseat. The platform in the 21fbrs is maybe just enough. Kind of hard to measure since the side rails interfere with measuring. Even if not enough the platform looks like it could be "extended" with a bit of simple carpentry. Also the width is more than I expected at about 70 inches so a loveseat/recliner with a wider center console would fit.

Now for the drawback.. The platform sits 13 inches high. This means that if the standard seating for a sofa is about 18 inches from floor to seat you would have a sofa that the seat is at about 30-32 inches from floor to where you park your butt.

I'd need a step ladder to get into the recliner since I only have a 30 inch inseam. All in all it is a doable situation but there are some drawbacks. Also the false front of the existing setup would have to go leaving the underside of the platform exposed. Not a problem you could just drape some fabric (which you can buy from recpro to match the sofa). Not sure if I am going to do this yet or not.
what year is yours the platform in mine measures 9 inches. from floor to top
Old 09-06-2018, 08:49 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rp53 View Post
what year is yours the platform in mine measures 9 inches. from floor to top
Mine is a 2018. I measured with the slide in.
Old 09-06-2018, 10:21 AM   #17

just went and measured it again it's 9 inches mine is a 17 wonder why the 4 inch in the 2
Old 09-06-2018, 10:33 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rp53 View Post
just went and measured it again it's 9 inches mine is a 17 wonder why the 4 inch in the 2

Maybe my measurements are off. I don't know. I'll be out in the barn again tonight so I can double check. I just received my new x-chocks so I want to put them on the trailer tonight to see how they work. I just purchased some stair stabilizers and my wife said they feel great. A lot less than some of the new steps. Used a $15 Camping wolrd coupon so really only paid for one I bought one for each step.
Old 09-06-2018, 12:45 PM   #19

MY BAD. it is 13 i measured wrong you will really like the x-chocks they work very good
Old 09-11-2018, 07:54 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLBHSB View Post
Two more things to consider. One, will the slide out handle the weight of the recliners? And two, how much will the weight of the recliners eat into your cargo carrying capacity?
We have a 2016 FBRS and they would cut into the capacity quite a bit, but I believe 2017 and newer have more capacity.
I planned on extending the platform slightly like you said and also building a step supported by a couple of rollers in front of that. But for me it cut into the CCC too much. Hope you find a solution, the jack knife sofa is the only thing I can complain about on our trailer.
I sent an email to flagstaff and was told that the jackknife sofa and slide were made by Lippert. I just got off of a chat session with Lippert and was told that the 170 pound weight of the recliner should have no affect on the slide operation.

One step closer to replacing the sofa with something more comfortable.