Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2011, 08:53 AM   #1
Newly retired and ready

Fifth Wheel pin support

Just came back from the firsst 10 days of camping in my 8524RLS. When I was at the dealer picking up the 5er I asked him if I need to purchase a stableizer tripod fifthwheel pin support. He said this shorter unit did not need support under the pin.
I noticed during camping even with the wheels securely chocked in place the 5er moved around quite a bit.
What is the opinion of the experts. Should I invest $200 in a stableizer pin support tripod and if so will it help with excess movement of the trailer.
Gl111349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:07 AM   #2

as a support, no. they aren't strong enough to offer any support. they will take some of the side to side wiggle out of it but there are much better systems out there to do that.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:28 AM   #3
Newly retired and ready

I currently have electric jacks on the front of the fifth wheel and have electric stablizers on the back of the 5er. but still get what I think is a lot of movement in just walking though the trailer.
What other kinds of support would you suggest to possibly take the movement out.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:47 AM   #4

We have a Wildcat 28RK with electric rear stabilizers and electric front jacks. With the wheels chocked we had a significant amount of movement in the bedroom. Bought a tripod stabilizer and it took out almost all the movement. It was a big improvement. However, if I was to do it again, I would probably get the stabilizers on the front jacks instead. They bolt to the frame and are easy to use, store on the frame when not being used. With the tripod, you have to store it either in the cargo basement where it takes up room or in the truck, and drag it out and set it up, it weighs 40 ? lbs, etc. But it does work. The tripods are cheaper than the stabilizers, but I would probably go the stabilizer route next time.

2014 Silverback 29IK
honker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 04:48 PM   #5

I'm looking at these.
Talked with a guy last year who had them and he was very happy.

Clicky

Bill

"I've got a mind like a steele.. a......a steele......um.....uh...... what's that thing called again?
fivecodys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 04:51 AM   #6

First, are your wheel chockes the ones that go between the wheels and tighten up? If you are using the triangle ones that wedge between the tire and the ground you will not get much movement help from them. Alot of movement comes from the tires, any of the between the wheel chocks used on both side of the rig will really help to stop the front to back movement.

I have always used the tripod method, almost everything people say about them are true. I do however like the extra support it gives to the overhang, even if its just a little.
cardinal4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:16 AM   #7
PINTO

I have electric jacks on the rear. I went with two "X" wheel chocks first and needed more, I added the tripod and it made a big difference. I only paid around 100 bucks for mine and it works great. It is a little on the heavy side I suppose for some and if that is an issue they make aluminum tripods. You only use it as a stabilizer and not a support.
Chevy 3500 LT Dually
Kpinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:32 AM   #8
Newly retired and ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal4fun
First, are your wheel chockes the ones that go between the wheels and tighten up? If you are using the triangle ones that wedge between the tire and the ground you will not get much movement help from them. Alot of movement comes from the tires, any of the between the wheel chocks used on both side of the rig will really help to stop the front to back movement.

I have always used the tripod method, almost everything people say about them are true. I do however like the extra support it gives to the overhang, even if its just a little.
I use the ones that fit between the wheels and tighten up with a wrench. I only have one set but they sure allow a lot of movement

Gary, Susan, and Molly(the dog)
2016 Ford F-250
2010 Flagstaff 8524 RLS
Old 08-11-2011, 08:43 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivecodys View Post
I'm looking at these.
Talked with a guy last year who had them and he was very happy.

Clicky

Bill
i liked the adjustable landing gear. have been thinking abt doing something like that.
the x on the braces may be overkill but the price is right.
have u done business with them?
Old 08-11-2011, 11:50 AM   #10

This year we just purchased a 2011 Cardinal 3425 with the 6 point automatic leveling system. Thought that would be the ticket for solidness compared to our last 5er. I was wrong, still had movement when you would walk around the coach. I just installed the Steadyfast stabilizer system and WOW what a difference. It took approx. 2-1/2 hrs to install but stays on the coach and works wonderfully. Check em out on the web, they even have a short video that shows just how they work.
Randyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 03:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimh View Post
i liked the adjustable landing gear. have been thinking abt doing something like that.
the x on the braces may be overkill but the price is right.
have u done business with them?
No I haven't yet.
I did talk to him a couple of time on the phone.
There are a few guys over on rv.net that have the system and really like it.
I think it's the answer for most of my movement.

Bill

"I've got a mind like a steele.. a......a steele......um.....uh...... what's that thing called again?
Old 08-11-2011, 04:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivecodys View Post
No I haven't yet.
I did talk to him a couple of time on the phone.
There are a few guys over on rv.net that have the system and really like it.
I think it's the answer for most of my movement.

Bill
i went ahead and ordered the adjustment for the landing gear leg. i have the steady fast system on my trailer.
my next project was make an adjustment for the landing gear. lots of times i need abt 1/4" and always say i am going to make some out of plywood but never do.
now the thought that comes to mind is if they will match the diameter of my landing gear. don't know if landing gears come in different diameter.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimh View Post
i went ahead and ordered the adjustment for the landing gear leg. i have the steady fast system on my trailer.
my next project was make an adjustment for the landing gear. lots of times i need abt 1/4" and always say i am going to make some out of plywood but never do.
now the thought that comes to mind is if they will match the diameter of my landing gear. don't know if landing gears come in different diameter.
I saw that on their site. Very good idea.
Please report back with your findings.
I will be watching this thread to see how it went.

Bill

Old 08-12-2011, 08:10 AM   #14

i will. when i got here, i needed the 1/4" so seeing a commercial adjustment made me bite.
my big concern was if they are legitimate.
they do respond to email.