Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2014, 03:59 PM   #1

First GB induced damage to my 8528IKWS

Yep I did that. This weekend was our second outing in our Flagstaff. All went well until I got home. When I went to open the dinette side slide I hear a 'Snap". I stop and look back to the rear of the unit, the lever arm on the recliner caught the molding on the lower portion of the slide pulling it away from the slide. Thankfully the trim is not wood so it did not take much force to snap in two pretty cleanly. I was able to refit the trim into place and it is difficult to tell where it snapped. I'll pull it off at some point and use some construction adhesive to snug it back up. I'll also be be sure to turn the recliners so that the lever arms face the back wall of the trailer.
G.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 04:13 PM   #2

I did something similar a while back. Went to open one of the living room slides and one of the overhead cabinet doors was left open or came open during transit. When I got the slide open about a foot or more, it started slowing down like it was in a bind. A second or 2 later it "bounced", literally, and open up all the way. I was concerned it had gotten off track but seems okay. The slide had gotten hung on the door and pushed it back until the screws came out of the hinges. Bent the hinges some, scratched the door and took a small gouge out of the back side of the door. The slide was not damaged. A little bending of the hinges, a little stain to blend the scratches and a little bigger screw(s) and you'd never know it!
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 05:16 PM   #3

Guess I will b checking my cabinet doors before opening the slides.
Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
Slympicins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 10:38 PM   #4
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.B. View Post
Yep I did that. This weekend was our second outing in our Flagstaff. All went well until I got home. When I went to open the dinette side slide I hear a 'Snap". I stop and look back to the rear of the unit, the lever arm on the recliner caught the molding on the lower portion of the slide pulling it away from the slide. Thankfully the trim is not wood so it did not take much force to snap in two pretty cleanly. I was able to refit the trim into place and it is difficult to tell where it snapped. I'll pull it off at some point and use some construction adhesive to snug it back up. I'll also be be sure to turn the recliners so that the lever arms face the back wall of the trailer.
Make sure you put something soft between the lever and the wall (a small pillow maybe) because it'll rub against the wall paper, resulting in a spot with the color rubbed off (of the wall).

Someone else here clued me in to this. Just paying it forward.

I turn both our recliners with the levers out, but we strap them in so they can't move out away from the wall, into the path of the slider. I check those recliners EVERY time before extending or retracting the #1 slider. I'm paranoid about 'em.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 10:45 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timex View Post
I did something similar a while back. Went to open one of the living room slides and one of the overhead cabinet doors was left open or came open during transit. When I got the slide open about a foot or more, it started slowing down like it was in a bind. A second or 2 later it "bounced", literally, and open up all the way. I was concerned it had gotten off track but seems okay. The slide had gotten hung on the door and pushed it back until the screws came out of the hinges. Bent the hinges some, scratched the door and took a small gouge out of the back side of the door. The slide was not damaged. A little bending of the hinges, a little stain to blend the scratches and a little bigger screw(s) and you'd never know it!
TOWTA did the same the first time we used our 5er, only damage was the cabinet door was hanging by the bottom hinge. A little tweaking on the hinges, some broken toothpicks and glue in the screw holes and all back to normal. Does TOWTA check cabinet doors now before moving the slide in or out? Guess!
Old 05-05-2014, 10:49 PM   #6
WFD

Weezer...with the recliner lever out( facing inside the trlr), doesn't the #1 slide hit the wide side of the recliner as it comes in? I thought of doing that as well but I seem to recall the wider side of revliner had to be towards mid trlr clear of the slides.

x2 on the levers rubbing the wall...DW noticed that right away.

Rick
WFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:36 AM   #7
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFD View Post
Weezer...with the recliner lever out( facing inside the trlr), doesn't the #1 slide hit the wide side of the recliner as it comes in? I thought of doing that as well but I seem to recall the wider side of revliner had to be towards mid trlr clear of the slides.

x2 on the levers rubbing the wall...DW noticed that right away.

Rick
Nope. About two inches clearance.

FR doesn't waste much space regarding slider clearances in these things, do they?

On our wardrobe slider I always bump the mattress over with my knees before bringing it in because the it pushes against the mattress at the final inch of travel.

Being OCD is a GOOD thing when you're an RVer.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags