Old 10-20-2017, 08:37 AM   #1
TnB

Flagstaff 21FBRS towed with HD3500 dually

Picking up a 2018 21FBRS this week and wondering about the possible need for sway control.

I have a 2015 Silverado HD3500 Duramax dually as the tow vehicle. (We also have a 38 foot 5th wheel, hence the dually).

Since the GVWR of the dually is 13,000 lbs and the max weight of 21FBRS is 6,000 lbs, fully loaded, using the 50% or more rule for the requirement for weight distribution system doesn't seem to apply.

My question is if Sway control is required for this TT? My chevy has Stabilitrack, which is supposed prevent trailer swaying. Is this sufficient or do I need external equipment for the TT?

Is anyone towing a small TT with a dually without external equipment?

P.S. I am not trying to tow the TT behind the 5th wheel, LOL

TnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 10:18 AM   #2

If you keep the tongue weight correct and proper tire inflation I see no reason for a sway bar. I tow a 26' with a 2500 and have never had a problem with sway. I do't drive fast above 65. I also do not have vehicle installed sway control.

2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 10:48 AM   #3
TnB

Seadog, thanks for the reply. I've had 3 different 5th wheels in 25+mph crosswinds (i.e. flags straight out) without any problems, but this is my first TT.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:48 AM   #4

Hi have a 2016 GMC dually an 8329SS TT that the max weight of the TT is 9400 lbs. I usually use an equalizer hitch but I have found that the WD is not really used... So, I do not think it makes a big difference.

Last year going across OK we had strong cross winds and the truck's stability control was working very well on handling the sway.
Webhair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 09:19 AM   #5
TnB

Flagstaff 21FBRS towed with HD3500 dually

Picked up the trailer the other day and was very pleased with the handling. No additional equipment was added to the hitch. The HD3500 didn't even settle as the TT was attached.

We bought the unit for going to dog shows and I was very happy that I can pull into a mall parking lot and only take up two parking spaces front to back. Our TT is the same length as the truck itself.

The most surprising revelation on towing this unit is that I got the same fuel mileage towing this unit as I do towing my 38 foot 5th wheel (16,000 lbs). It appears that the wind resistance and not the tow weight is the major factor.

Regardless of your rig, speed affects your fuel mileage. It has been my observation that you will lose about 10% of your milage by going 5 mph faster (starting at 55 mph). For example, if you get 13 mpg at 55, you will lose 1.3 mpg (now 11.7) by going 60 mph. Going 65 mph drops your mpg (11.7 - 1.17 ) 10.53 mpg. etc. Your mpg at 55 mph may vary, but the simplistic equation seems to hold. (This observation is based on having the proper sized truck for your towed vehicle.)

P.S. I got about 10.7 mpg at 70 mph on a 50 mile non-stop expressway stretch.
Old 11-01-2017, 07:21 AM   #6

That seems about right for fuel economy.

I towed my 2017 Micro Lite 21DS with my 2011 BMW X5 M SUV from my house in League City to Huntsville State Park including idling for hitching, 190mile round trip and 1 stop for fuel I averaged 12mpg heading out and 11.5 returning running the cruise at 65-70mph, and some slow/stop and go traffic on the way out as we went through Houston at rush hour.

Most trucks I see towing the microlite are in the 8-10mpg range @65mph.

I do have a sway control hitch, which I suspect could help improve fuel economy. Even if sway isn't felt the trailer moving back and forth I'm sure would increase its rolling resistance and drop fuel economy. Much like going on a bumpy road.

thecastle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3500, 500, flagstaff