Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2015, 08:04 AM   #1

Flagstaff 26RLWS outside storage

We are considering the purchase of a 2016 Flagstaff 26RLWS and have a few questions.

1. Is the outside storage passthru? Do you consider it adequate? In our last trailer, I stored the campstove, lantern, propane bottles, etc. on one side. On the driver side of the trailer were my tool set and tool bag, leveling block, wheel blocks’.

2. Where is a good storage location for the electrical cord, water hoses and sewer hoses?

3. Is the bumper strong enough for a bike rack for 2 bicycles?

THANKS for your help!
4shaw5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 08:35 AM   #2

It does not have a pass through storage. The front on the one side is the water heater.
I took the spare tire off and put a bike rack on but don't tell anybody. My two bikes weigh about the same as the spare tire and I really strap them down with ratchet straps to keep them from bouncing.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
74 nights camped in 2016, 121 nights camped in 2015
Cmccul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 08:41 AM   #3

We really like ours. My with rearranged the furniture in it since it's just the two of us. http://www.cmccul.blogspot.com/2015/...ampground.html

Old 06-18-2015, 09:09 AM   #4

We seriously considered the Rockwood 26RLWS, but after seeing other units with the same floor plan at the Tampa RV show in January, we ordered the Hemisphere 263RL. It is the same floor plan, but we were able to get recliners instead of the swivel chairs. The kitchen has more counter space. Although we loved the cabinets in the Rockwood, the finishes are nicer in the Hemisphere and the cabinets are very pretty. It has the "basement", as we call it, which does go all the way through, with doors on each side. We love the shower! Instead of having the angled door that opens into the bathroom, it has a curved slide door that opens in the middle and slides to either side. It allows for more room for your behind when you are in the shower too. The unit has great storage space. The counters are made of Corian in the kitchen. There are two side windows back in the rear living space, and there is more space back there than in the Rockwood. We ordered the same recliners as in the Vibe, which are very comfortable. The one thing we really detested in the Rockwood was the uncomfortable couch. The vinyl is not pretty and you cannot easily slide on the fabric. We love the couch in the Hemisphere! It looks like leather and has beautiful contrast stitching. It is very soft and comfortable, and the fabric is smooth, like leather. I am sure we would have been happy with the Rockwood, had we not seen the Hemisphere, but we just were really not happy with the sofa. Every time we are in the trailer, we comment on how happy we are that we found it and how all of these little things really make using it much more enjoyable than the Rockwood would have been. Once I got over not having the hickory cabinets, I never have looked back. See if you can find a Hemisphere dealer and go see it for yourself. You may not be able to find the exact model, but they will give you an idea on the finishes, etc. By the way, where are you located?

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 09:56 AM   #5

CampingGator,

We had not considered the Hemisphere 263RL. It appears a local dealer may have one we can look at. Our drawbacks to the Rockwood 26RLWS was lack of kitchen counter (wife) and outside storage (me). The big selling point to the wife was the wardrobe slide. How is bedroom closet storage in the Hemisphere 263RL?

One thing we were impressed with on the Rockwood is the quality of construction. In your opinion, is the Hemisphere the same quality?

I also assume a 2011 Ford F150 would pull the Hemisphere just fine.

Also, we are located in North Texas.
Old 06-18-2015, 10:14 AM   #6

We feel that the finishes in the Hemisphere are better or the same as the Rockwood. I like that there is no wall paper border. There is some wall paper in the kitchen. I also forgot to say that I did not like the way the stove was in front of a window in the Rockwood. There is a window in the kitchen of the Hemisphere, but it is not behind the stove. Who wants grease spraying up on the window? The sink in the Rockwood is angled. In the Hemisphere it is 90 degrees to the stove and counter. There is counter space to the right of the stove, which allows for prep space that the Rockwood just does not have. The Rockwood does have a clip-on counter at the end of the sink, which the Hemisphere does not have. You could make one yourself, if needed. I have seen similar mods on the forum. The sink does have a cover that allows for more prep space as well. The wardrobe slide was one thing that I really liked in the Rockwood, but we are finding that the wardrobes we have are more than adequate, and so far, we have not even used the storage above the bed. We are going on vacation for a week, so I am sure we will use that space for family members who are going along.

My DH put shelves up in the cupboards in the kitchen, above the TV, and in the linen closet. This has really helped us organize things. We store games and other similar items in the cupboard under the TV. The Rockwood has some storage above the dinning room table, which the Hemisphere does not have, but I much prefer the larger window and the ability to see out easily. We find the storage above the couch and in the rear living area to be enough for us. We have been packing for vacation and have food for the first half of the trip for ten people packed in, with more room to spare. The storage under the bed allows for the blow up mattresses and other larger things we need to carry. Even when we start traveling in it a month or two at a time after we retire in a number of years, we feel that we have plenty of space. My DH has a lot of necessary items stored in the "basement", including a zero gravity chair and two rocking chairs. Go see one for yourself and see what you think. Every one's needs are different. Sit in it for a while and think about the way you function in the space.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
Old 06-18-2015, 10:33 AM   #7

We really like the wardrobe slide. We have the corian countertops. We like the chairs and couch in our Flagstaff. Everybody has different needs and wants. We like the cherry cabinets too.
My wife removed the borders in ours the day we picked it up. They pulled right off.

Old 06-18-2015, 12:48 PM   #8

My wife & I love ours... it's the perfect size... roomy, actually... for just the two of us. As previously mentioned, the front storage is not pass-through. Driver side contains the water heater, filter, and pump - all easy to access. There's still plenty of room in there for all my plumbing-related gear: sewer fittings (not hose) in a tupperware container and fresh water fittings in another, along with the fresh water hose and stinky slinky support. Passenger side storage compartment extends about 3/4 of the way across the camper and is plenty big for everything else we carry: receiver hitch, WD spring bars, chocks, leveling blocks, propane grill, side table for the grill, electric cord, and a bunch of other stuff I can't recall off the top of my head. Even found a spot for a Red Devil central vac in there... wall plate for that is just beside the bed inside. I added LED lights in both front storage compartments - makes getting stuff in and out much easier at night.

We keep our folding camp chairs and a couple of small folding tables in the outside-accessible compartment under one of the dinette benches.

Sewer hose lives in the rear bumper.

I haven't done it, but I don't see any reason why the bumper wouldn't hold a couple of bikes with the spare removed. I carry that in the bed of my TV.

2016 Coachmen Pursuit 31BD
2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport Toad
Nights camped in 2019: 76
pashooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 06:26 PM   #9

Suggest you look at a Flagstaff 27RLWS model with a dinette seating. You will have a lot of storage, your wife will have a lot of counter space in the kitchen, and a wardrobe slideout.
Randy and Diane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 10:23 PM   #10

Sorry, I did not see part of your question above. We pull the Hemisphere with a 2010 F150. No problems so far, as it is rated for the weight. My DH really paid special attention to this. Let us know what you think when you look at it and what you decide to do!

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
Old 06-19-2015, 09:59 AM   #11

We looked at a 2016 Hemisphere 263RL last night. The trailer seems to fit our needs, but we like the bedroom, specifically the wardrobe slide, in the 2016 Rockwood 26RLWS. The primary construction difference between these models is the Hemisphere has a truss roof with insulation while the Rockwood has a vacuum bonded roof with 4" foam insulation. For us, the perfect trailer would be the living/kitchen/bath of the Hemisphere with the bedroom of the Rockwood. Decisions, decisions, decision.....
Old 06-19-2015, 01:00 PM   #12

I know! Honestly, though, think through how you are going to function with the space. A little extra ward robe space, vs. ability to stow things and access the basement from both sides of the trailer, extra kitchen counter space, extra room in the shower, better placement of sink in the bath, extra rear living space with recliners... As you said - "living/kitchen/bath vs. bedroom. Most of the time you will be functioning in the living/kitchen/bath area. Most of the time in the bedroom you are changing clothes and sleeping. I personally would not swap a wardrobe slide for the functionality of the other three areas.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
Old 08-06-2015, 01:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4shaw5 View Post
We looked at a 2016 Hemisphere 263RL last night. The trailer seems to fit our needs, but we like the bedroom, specifically the wardrobe slide, in the 2016 Rockwood 26RLWS. The primary construction difference between these models is the Hemisphere has a truss roof with insulation while the Rockwood has a vacuum bonded roof with 4" foam insulation. For us, the perfect trailer would be the living/kitchen/bath of the Hemisphere with the bedroom of the Rockwood. Decisions, decisions, decision.....
What did you end up purchasing, and how do you like it?

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
Old 08-06-2015, 02:12 PM   #14

We ended up purchasing a 2016 Hemisphere 263RL. We are hoping to make our first trip the weekend of Aug 15. It will be really hot that weekend so hopefully the AC works good.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:27 PM   #15

Did you get a 15k A/C?

07 Silverado Classic 2500 HD
15 Flagstaff 26fkws Emerald Edition
RiverPeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 06:44 PM   #16

I have a flagstaff 26fkws, its a reverse floor plan of the 26rl minus the swivel rockers
Anyway, for those of you wondering about the rear bumper and a bike rack.
What i did was modify my spare tire carrier. I cut it in half, added a sleeve and raised it up 6" and reversed the bumper mount, so the it sits up a little higher yet moving the spare 4" closer to the back of the trailerClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1438904437.921611.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	85065
Then i went to amazon and got a bumper mount receiver and i use a harbor freight cargo hauler and strap my bikes onto it and have had zero issues transporting my bikes

07 Silverado Classic 2500 HD
15 Flagstaff 26fkws Emerald Edition
RiverPeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 08:02 PM   #17

We did get the 15,000 BTU a/c. It also has 50 amp service with a cutout for a 2nd a/c. In 100 degree Texas heat, the a/c does not cool the bedroom and bathroom well. One thing I did was replace the ceiling vents with vents that would open/close to divert more air to the front of the trailer. That has helped a great deal.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:42 PM   #18

Without reading all the other posts I can tell you that we love our 26RLWS. The front storage is sufficient for storing all the pieces of our Equalizer hitch, clear storage containers for black water hoses, spare "umbrella" chairs, log fire starters, broom, beach umbrella, etc, etc. Lots of good storage despite that it is not pass thru. I store my electrical cables on the opposite side along with fresh water hoses, catv cables, and coiled rope lights. Then you have an outside access to storage under the dinette seat. As you know, we can always use more storage but the 26 RLWS had alot of good storage inside and out!
2015 Flagstaff 26RLWS
Equal-i-zer 1000/10,000
mlarryeliz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flagstaff, storage