Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2013, 11:05 AM   #1
chicagoslick

Flagstaff 27RLWS

Hello Everyone,

I am in the midst of purchasing a 2014 Flagstaff 27RLWS and it has the Emerald Package as well as Convenience Package B. Unit also comes with many other additional options. I have a few questions for the RV Veterans out there. FYI the unit is being built as we speak and some items may be able to be added before the unit is scheduled for delivery.

Questions

1. The unit is not scheduled to have slide out toppers, but everything I read says this is a great option to have. Should I contact the dealer have them do it at the factory as the cost appears somewhere around $290-$363 each? Or is it even worth having at all?

2. Cannot seem to find any information about heating. What heater comes on the TT as we are planning trips out west where we could see cold weather at times. (Already ordered Heated Holding Tanks option)

3. The unit is set to come with the 13.5k BTU A/C, should we spring the additional ~$181 for the 15k unit?

4. There is an option for 4 Power Stab Jacks. Are these worth the additional ~$376 to be installed at the factory? I feel like this would be a great option, but not sure if these things have tons of issues.

Money is the least factor for me in this decision, but reliability and ease of use that works is important. I only provided the cost numbers to give some idea of what the expense would be.

I appreciate all responses and thank everyone in advance.

Gary
chicagoslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:27 AM   #2

We picked up the same trailer from our dealer off the lot. It has the toppers and I think they are a great options. It is easier to brush off debris as it rolls up than to climb up and clear the top of the slide. It has a propane heater under the sink. If you have the convenience package (which I have) I thought the 15k unit was included. I have the power stabilizer and tongue jack and love them. If you have any other questions or concerns I would be glad to help.
Old 12-28-2013, 02:32 PM   #3
chicagoslick

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdeter View Post
We picked up the same trailer from our dealer off the lot. It has the toppers and I think they are a great options. It is easier to brush off debris as it rolls up than to climb up and clear the top of the slide. It has a propane heater under the sink. If you have the convenience package (which I have) I thought the 15k unit was included. I have the power stabilizer and tongue jack and love them. If you have any other questions or concerns I would be glad to help.
Thanks pdeter for reply...

Have you used your heat and does it blow out of the floor vents? Looks like only 2 vents am I wrong?

thanks,

Gary
Old 12-28-2013, 02:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoslick View Post
Thanks pdeter for reply...

Have you used your heat and does it blow out of the floor vents? Looks like only 2 vents am I wrong?

thanks,

Gary
Yep. Used the heat last time out in late November. I don't recall if there are one or two vents in the living/kitchen area but I do know there is one by the kitchen counter (there may be another by the television). There is one in the bedroom and one mounted on the shower below the shower door. We did have an issue when we first fired it up. Nothing came out of the vents but the sink cabinet got very hot. I removed the intake screens below the sink cabinet and found that the cover on the furnace which directs the air into the ducts had a screw stripped and was dumping all the air into that little compartment. I put in a larger screw and it worked great.
Old 12-28-2013, 02:52 PM   #5

Some things we are going to do before the next outing.
1. Install an additional outlet on the right side of the sink. There is only one on the left side which only has room for one toaster, coffee pot or whatever.
2. We got rid of the original mattress (too hard) and replaced it with a sleep number bed (we use this at home too). This required me to put an outlet in the compartment under the bed.
3. Install the Progressive Industries Electrical Management System - EMS-HW30C.
4. I also had the spare tire carrier moved under the tongue. This was done because of limited parking space and that extra 12" behind the trailer made a big difference.
5. I have seen some posts on here about the TV bracket on the outside of the Flagstaffs. I had a very hard time finding the correct adapter to mount the TV to it but my dealer finally found it. I won't pick it up until Jan 10 but if you want the part number I will get it for you when I pick it up.
Old 12-28-2013, 05:29 PM   #6
chicagoslick

Quote:
1. Install an additional outlet on the right side of the sink. There is only one on the left side which only has room for one toaster, coffee pot or whatever.
2. We got rid of the original mattress (too hard) and replaced it with a sleep number bed (we use this at home too). This required me to put an outlet in the compartment under the bed.
3. Install the Progressive Industries Electrical Management System - EMS-HW30C.
4. I also had the spare tire carrier moved under the tongue. This was done because of limited parking space and that extra 12" behind the trailer made a big difference.
5. I have seen some posts on here about the TV bracket on the outside of the Flagstaffs. I had a very hard time finding the correct adapter to mount the TV to it but my dealer finally found it. I won't pick it up until Jan 10 but if you want the part number I will get it for you when I pick it up.

Great information. I take it the surge protector you installed was suggested by someone (Progressive Industries Electrical Management System - EMS-HW30C)? I plan to move the spare tire as well as I want to clamp on a bicycle rack (no drilling or welding of course). What did you end up getting for a black tank drain line?

Again thanks for all of the information.

Gary
Old 12-28-2013, 06:56 PM   #7

I don't have that model, but I do have a similiar sized Flagstaff. Awning covers are nice and functional. Your gas heat should be good, but grab a couple ceramic heaters which heat nicely, and will save you $ on the gas (if your staying in parks with hookups). The 13.5 AC does OK here in Fl, and we supplement it with a small fan. Electric tongue jack is great, electric stabilizers I don't have, and can't comment on (We have a 16 year old son who does fantastic cranking the jacks...LOL.

Good luck and enjoy the TT.
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 09:25 PM   #8
ARLO

2010 829fkss

WE have a 2010 flagstaff 829FKSS.
1) These are lightweight tt's and insulation is thin. The awning toppers help to keep the tt cooler and help keep it more quiet in the rain.

2) For cool nights, keep a quartz heater in the tt. In many cases, it is enough to warm the trailer.

3) We opted for the 15000 BTU A/c. Cool air is more evenly distributed and the unit doesn't work as hard.

4) I love the convenience of the power stabilizer jacks. We use the plastic leveling blocks also. It also reduces set up time.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 09:42 PM   #9

we have the same tt love it has 2 vents in living room we have 15k ac works great toppers a big + added a light above switch panel helps at night and light pantry
bob27rwls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 09:51 PM   #10

also a lot of talk about bike rack on rear bumper the extra torque caused by weight of bike can cause problems I decided not to install one
Old 12-29-2013, 03:26 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoslick View Post
Great information. I take it the surge protector you installed was suggested by someone (Progressive Industries Electrical Management System - EMS-HW30C)? I plan to move the spare tire as well as I want to clamp on a bicycle rack (no drilling or welding of course). What did you end up getting for a black tank drain line?

Again thanks for all of the information.

Gary
The surge protector was recommended on here and I like the other features of this particular one as it is more than just a surge protector. I spoke with the tech when I picked up the trailer about installing a bike rack on the bumper and he said it would not be an issue but I had read a lot of horror stories about bumpers coming off and such and chickened out. For the drain line I just use the hose I got with the trailer and added a clear 45 so I could see the flow when flushing the tank. Hope you love your TT as much as we do.

Paul
Old 12-29-2013, 01:46 PM   #12

bob27rlws tell me more about the light over the switch panel. Is it 12 volts.Does it stay on all time or have a switch.Can you post a pic. Thanks
cat1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 04:51 PM   #13

I just used an out side 12 volt rv light with a switch took it apart and painted it black to match switch panel it is not led but only for short time works great for me hope this helps
Old 12-29-2013, 06:53 PM   #14

Thanks bob27rlsw
Old 12-30-2013, 03:50 PM   #15

If you are from IL and RV mostly up north the 15,000 BTU AC will do. I live in SE Texas and my 32 foot fiver has 50 AMP and two ACs, one 15,000 and the other 13,500 and during our hot and humid summers I need both to make it livable. Good Luck
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:49 PM   #16
chicagoslick

Thanks for everyone's replies. I had the dealer add the 15k ac, slide out toppers, and the electric stab jacks. The unit is being built at the factory and should be completed in the next week or so. Getting excited about getting it...

Gary
Old 12-31-2013, 08:57 AM   #17

I think you will be glad you upgraded.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:49 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1956 View Post
Thanks bob27rlsw
An alternative to Bob's solution is mine - battery powered light strip from Walmart.

2010 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3L | K&N filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
Wmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 06:19 PM   #19

Quote:
I agree that another outlet is needed and I have started to put one in the panel just above the fuse panel / below the hall coat closet. Our coffee machine sits on the counter adjacent to his location just under the weather station shown in the picture I posted above. Both the coffee machine and the weather station will use this outlet.

Quote:
We had no problem with the Serta that came with the camper but added a 1-1/2" memory foam topper and that made a wonderful difference - feels like the Tempurpedic we have at home.

Quote:
What is the problem? I was made to understand that the bracket inside was the same as outside, so that you could first pull the TV out from the living room and stick it in the bracket outside. l have not done this yet hence the question.
2010 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3L | K&N filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
Wmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 06:26 PM   #20

I have the 32 inch Toshiba and it will go outside. I didn't think it would at first but if you swing it out from the wall you will see it just lifts off. I would still like to have another bracket to use on a different TV so I wouldn't have to unhook the Toshiba.

Tags
flagstaff