Old 10-05-2013, 12:25 AM   #1

Flagstaff 27RLWS and DirecTV hookup to Toshiba TV

Today I was trying to hook up my DirecTV SD satellite receiver to my 32" Toshiba 32L1350U TV that is in the living room of my RV. However, all I could get was a coarse grain BW picture of the menus, etc. There was no colour.

The receiver was working just fine the night before as I tested it at home. It is hooked up to my Winegard Carryout manual dish but that is not really part of this issue.

The input to the TV is set to "Colorstream HD", and I have a 3-wire (red/white/yellow RCS type) standard AV cable connecting the receiver to the TV's component inputs using the Red / White / Yellow Video jacks, leaving the Pb and Pr jacks empty. The receiver only has this as audio+video outputs, not component video.

The Input to the receiver is a coax cable that is connected to the AUX/SAT jack in the cabinet under the TV. Whether the signal amplifier button (for the rooftop antenna only I believe) is pushed or not (on or off) makes no difference, and I would not expect any since my problem (so far) is not receiving the satellite signal but not seeing colour, just coarse grain BW.

Suspecting the cable I connected the TV from the bedroom instead of the Toshiba and it too had component jacks, so I connected the red/white/yellow plugs to these jacks, again leaving Pb and Pr empty. There was colour.

So the problem is not with the receiver or the cable out from the receiver to the TV. Connected the Toshiba back and back to BW we go.

Conclusion - the TV, which appears to work just fine, does not like the DirecTV receiver I have.

Any thoughts on what the problem might be or what am I not setting? The manual is not any help, other than stating the obvious for hookups. It could also be that I need to get a satellite receiver with the 5 component video audio-video outputs despite the fact that the other TV worked just fine with the standard cables?

2010 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3L | K&N filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
Wmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 01:45 PM   #2

It sounds like you're putting the video cable (yellow) into one if the component video outs on the receiver. That won't work. If you're going into a composite video input in the TV, you would have to use a composite video out on the receiver. I take it the receiver doesn't have an HDMI output? That would be the best.

Can you give me the model number of the receiver?

Old 10-05-2013, 04:07 PM   #3

Barry

Thanks for the response. The model number is D21-100.

I was not plugging it into one of the component video outs on the receiver for the simple reason that the receiver does not have component video outs - just standard A/V cable outs (as well as S-video) and no HDMI. While I have an S-Video cable the TV does not have an S-video jack.
Old 10-05-2013, 05:42 PM   #4

My mistake. I thought you were referring to the receiver when you talked about leaving Pb & Pr open.

Everything you've done looks correct per the manuals. There is just some incompatibility as you said. I can only suggest that you use the coax cable out on the receiver to connect to your TV. (Probably a newer receiver is in order.)
Old 10-05-2013, 06:23 PM   #5

No problem, Barry. I did in fact try connecting the receiver to the TV using the coax out on the receiver to the coax in on the TV. No picture at all -- colour of BW, just no signal.

The whole thing that makes this so baffling is the fact that the other TV works just great when connected the way the Toshiba should be connected. Sounds like I may indeed need to be calling DirecTV to see what my options are.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmoses View Post
No problem, Barry. I did in fact try connecting the receiver to the TV using the coax out on the receiver to the coax in on the TV. No picture at all -- colour of BW, just no signal.
Did you re-scan for channels after doing that?
Old 10-05-2013, 07:36 PM   #7

No need. The TV was not seeing the receiver and vice versa.

I suspect those coax jacks are a pass through, as one says "Off-air in" and the other grouped coax jack right next to it says "Out to TV". The latter is the one I connected to the TV as mentioned above. With no input "Off-air" it would make sense there was no picture.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:50 PM   #8

I assure you there is a need. It's not a pass-tv from "off the air". It's a modulated output of the channel your receiver is tuned to.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:35 PM   #9

I have a similar problem for which I have not found a solution on our 27RLWS new trailer. It has two dedicated TV plugins, in the living room and bedroom; one for air antenna and one for cable that is on the front side of the trailer. Both plugins transmit a perfect signal with an air antenna input but the one for cable does not transmit the signal from a Directv dish antenna to the Directv receiver. I had to run a cable thru the door direct to the receiver. Anyone with a similar problem?
Old 10-06-2013, 10:03 AM   #10

Carmen, welcome to Forest River Forums!

This is not quite the same problem. In this case, it is the splitter contained in the antenna booster control wallplate that is messing up your dish to receiver connection. You have to bypass the wallplate in order to make it work.

Here Is a wiring diagram that shows what you need to do. (It includes an optional connection from the output of the Sat receiver back into the system to distribute the Sat picture to the other TV.)
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3125817487.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	40705

One person did it by actually modifying the wallplate as shown in this download from the FRF Library. http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...?do=file&id=97

Tags
flagstaff