Old 04-03-2014, 03:01 PM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmoses View Post
Where is the PI Surge Protector installed and how is it hooked up? I have the portable Surge Guard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slympicins View Post
Wmoses...what ac protection are you using? Still need to get one before we head out to unknown campgrounds in the summer.
Many of us feel that SP is a 'must have' item. Even with a known campground I wouldn't plug in without a SP. I was staying at a local campground that was about a year old. I've been there several times before without any problems. After buying the portable SP I revisited the same campground but within 30 minutes I was glad I had a SP. The campgrounds (two in same park) had brownouts prior to my arrival and then a big blackout within minutes of setting up camp. Someone in the other campground lost their AC unit during that 4th of July stay.

I know that many RVers don't use a SP and haven't encounter any problem but I rather play it safe, just in case.

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 03:36 PM   #22
chicagoslick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmoses View Post
Where is the PI Surge Protector installed and how is it hooked up? I have the portable Surge Guard.
The main control unit is installed behind the breaker panel near the floor. I ran the remote up the wall and out just above the trailer control panel as pictured earlier. I tied the unit into the main feed wiring inbetween the outside plugin and the breaker panel. Only took about an hour to complete...The information displayed is invaluable and of course the protection provided priceless...

Gary, Tonia, Baile, Summer and Otis our Boston T.
Flagstaff 27RLWS Emerald Pkg
2015 Ford F150 King Ranch FX4 Max Tow 3.5EB, 3.55
Equalizer 4 WDH, 1,200 / 12,000Lbs
chicagoslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:33 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slympicins View Post
Wmoses...what ac protection are you using? Still need to get one before we head out to unknown campgrounds in the summer.
30A Portable Surge Guard.

Worked great ever since the previous RV and because it is portable I was able to easily transfer it to the present RV.
2010 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3L | K&N filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
Wmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:36 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
Many of us feel that SP is a 'must have' item. ...

I know that many RVers don't use a SP and haven't encounter any problem but I rather play it safe, just in case.
For me it is no brainer. Makes no sense to get an expensive RV and then to cheap out protecting it. It has tripped a couple of times since I had it (with thge previous RV) and then when the current was stable it was again useable.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:41 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoslick View Post
The main control unit is installed behind the breaker panel near the floor. I ran the remote up the wall and out just above the trailer control panel as pictured earlier. I tied the unit into the main feed wiring inbetween the outside plugin and the breaker panel. Only took about an hour to complete...The information displayed is invaluable and of course the protection provided priceless...
Thanks for the follow-up. There is also space behind the angled false wall between the space behind the breaker panel and the adjacent under-counter cupboard. I had that fase wall off when I spliced into the hallway outlet to add another outlet above the breaker panel just under the coat closet.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:05 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoslick View Post
Beautiful job decorating by your wife!

We have a 27RLWS on order and will be installing the same SP as you did. I have installed one before in a previous RV and needed extra wire. Did you need extra wire or were you able to just cut in and hook it up? If extra wire what gauge so I can have it on hand when we get the unit.

I am still undecided on a hitch and see you have the equalizer 1200/12000. Are you happy with that size equalizer for this trailer or would you go with the 1000/10000 for the ride?

Thanks for your time and trouble. Dan
Old 04-04-2014, 02:36 PM   #27

We opted for the 1,200/12,000 Equalizer for better stability. It was too close to the limits of the other so we jumped to the next one. Rides good after I read the installation instructions and discovered the dealer didn't. Took it off an reinstalled it per the instructions. The dealer shortened the bracket distance from the ball. Optimum distance was I believe 32" and they had it at 27". This put too much stress on the head and bars.
Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
Slympicins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:09 PM   #28

I also have the 1200/12,000 bars which the dealer installed when I got the RV. Now that you said that I will have a look at mine when I next see it (in the shop now for the oven and radio) and measure the distance.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:20 PM   #29

I to have the 1,200/12,000 bars and the dealer has them set at 30 inches.
Equal-i-zer 1,200/12,000 Weight Distribution w/ 4-Point Sway Control
cat1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:31 PM   #30

Here is the Equalizer Instructions for the mounting of the side bars. It is 27" to 32" optimum distance. As I said before, 27" cut into my propane tank cover.

http://www.equalizerhitch.com/pdf/EQOwnersManual.pdf

Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
Slympicins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flagstaff