Old 02-10-2016, 08:53 AM   #11
Thanks FordHauler,

When we picked the unit up it was about 75 miles home from the dealer, all highway miles with the exception of about 5 miles. If you know I-70 through Missouri it is PACKED with over the road rigs. We were passed by no fewer than 20 or 25 rigs. The Equalizer hitch and TT did fine no real sway. Or at least little sway which was a pleasant result. So I am relatively happy there. It pulled great, obviously I knew it was back there as the truck was working harder than normal.

My Silverado came from the Factory with all the towing bells and whistles. Extended GVWR, more cooling etc. Trans temps never got more than 15 or 20 degrees above unloaded driving. Mileage made me want to shed a tear, went from 23 on the highway to average of 9.6 mpg.

The tires on my TT are Carlisle tires. I have read mixed reviews on them and will keep a close watch over the tires. I really don't want one going off on me. It really seems mixed as to what people are getting out of them. My thoughts are if they get sketchy to jump on something like Maxxis tires however we will see. Also it is one of those topics that should fall into the category of polite people never discuss. Religion, Politics, ex spouses, and Trailer Tires Too many over the top opinions on them. I have a friend who is in the tire business and he says leave the current tires on, if they start showing problems switch to a different brand. One thing he told me was that Carlisle is the official tire sponsor of the BASS Tour and there are a very large percentage of BASS Pros who use those tires. Deep discounts and they evidently last fairly well.

TT is in storage till it gets warmer as I don't do the COLD well anymore. My boys give me grief about my new style of camping, but I just tell them I did the sleeping on the ground when I took them through scouts. 12 years of sleeping on the ground is over, now we are going in style TV, Fireplace and Lazyboy are my idea of camping

SubVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:18 AM   #12
Citrus County, Fl.
Congrats on your 832IKBS!! Glad to see you have Carlisle's instead of the Trail-whatever that we had on ours which scared the crap out of me. You may want to invest in a TPMS for peace of mind though.

We loved the floor plan and all the room in the living area. The fireplace really made it nice on cold nights as it got down into the upper 20's when we were in Bryson City NC. My only dislike was all the bouncing when you walk on the floor. We could feel the bounce when our Sheltie's walked down the hall!!

The only reason we no longer have it is due to a growing family of grand kids and it only sleeping 4 in comfort.

2016 Forester 3011DS
2015 Toyota Corrola S toad
PREVIOUS: 2015 Flagstaff 832IKBS
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 04:33 PM   #13
1st issue was right after delivery. Rear one went down when I parked it @ home. but didn't go back up about 2 days before leaving on a trip. Went to manufacturer direct and they overnighted one to me. I wanted to retain the wiring so learned a bit about how to get INSIDE to where the switch was mounted.
2nd issue was on 2nd or 3d trip.. and one of the side braces bent. Don't recall the exact conditions/situation, but yielded the unit INOP for the rest of that trip. Have since noticed those braces are now painted yellow on the new units.
3d time was this past fall. was setup and we got some NASTY winds one night.. and i swear that trailer rocked up on one side.. and dropped back down - ROUGH! and next day while looking for any damage, discovered the "U" channel had folded!!!! NO WAY could i have torqued those down that far so that led to trying to find a replacement (surplus/$75).. and then had the local welding shop straighten/reinforce the damaged unit. I carry that one now in the bed of the truck so I should be able to replace any component or the entire assembly if/when/as needed. Wish i hadn't unloaded those extra spare parts from the 1st replacement!.
Hope that helps.
14 Flagstaff 832IKBS/Platinum
pulled by 07 GMC 2500HD/Duramax CC 4x4 with a ranch hand bumper, hadley air, piaa fogs, topper w/rack and a bed-slide!
prev: 07 Rockwood 8314SS.. most of the options..
woody9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 10:59 PM   #14
I too felt the bouncing when walking on the floor but picked up the small camco locking chocks, one for each side. Just installed them today and they made a world of difference.

Camco RV Deluxe Tire Locking Chock : Cabela's
Airborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 05:09 PM   #15
SubVet, I wanted to give you an update on our new unit. We pulled it 4000 miles over a six week period. Not one problem that was not our doing. The rig performed flawlessly. No issues with the tires but I did really keep an eye on them. We did damage some trim on one slide as we did not use the tie downs for the recliners which moved around a bit during travel and when sliding the slide out one of the recliner handles caught a peice of trim and popped it off. A couple of finishing nails and all was good, so keep those recliners tied down when traveling. We did learn that we had to level to the slides not the trailer. We found it easiest to put the rig a couple feet further back than where I wanted the unit to go, push out the slides on the kitchen side, then use our Anderson levelers to drive up on. We needed about 3" of lift at each place we stayed at on the kitchen/bedroom slide side so that our heads were level when sleeping. This of course was when we were at campgrounds with level sites. When we found ourselves at non level sites and needed more lift than three inches we had to use the old standard lynx leveling blocks. I hope this helped.

Airborne is offline   Reply With Quote