Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2012, 05:28 PM   #1

Flagstaff owners, please post your trailer experience

We are potential new buyers and are interested in purchasing the Flagstaff Micro Lite 19FD for our first travel trailer; we saw a Flagstaff 23FB(?) at a recent show and were really impressed by it, but it is just a little too big for our tow vehicle (2006 Nissan Xterra, trying to stay under 3500 lbs UVW since we live in the Rockies).
However, we are majorly concerned about reliability and the travel trailer being a money pit, having seen many posts about brand new travel trailers in need of repair, many rather significant.
For those that have bought a new Forest River travel trailer recently, say the past few years, can you please post your model and comment on your experiences of buying new and any issues/repairs that have been needed thus far?
What are typical expenses/repairs for a travel trailer and is it common to have problems right from the start? We really don't want to have to spend a bunch of money on making repairs, especially on something brand new and rather expensive.
Any info on your experiences and advice would be greatly appreciated. We are especially hoping to hear from all users, good or bad reviews, to try and get a feel for what is “typical”.
PS- If there is already a post of this nature floating around and we missed it, please direct us to the link. Did a little searching, but didn’t see one.
mtnhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:45 PM   #2

Location: No longer own a Forest River product, but enjoy the info on this site
Welcome to the forum. You'll find lots of useful info and friendly advice to help you out.

The cost of ownership questions you ask in your post are certainly valid -- part of the 'butterflies' that we experienced in purchasing our first camper. Information on this topic will be as varied as the many types of owners out there!

Your assessment of the Xterra towing the 23lb is right on - that is too much camper for the Nissan.

Have fun and good luck with your decision!
teamgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:59 PM   #3

we have a 2012 flagstaff 831rkss ...been out for 2 days ,, fit finish very good
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
Capsfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:08 PM   #4
J. Parham

I have had a 2009 829rgss bought used. A 2011 shamrock 23rs and now a 2011 8528bhss. They have all been good with minor issues. After going to several rv shows the flagstaff/forestriver products are my favorite.
Nights Camped in 2012: 85
snjparham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:13 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

We traded our 2006 832bhss last fall and in the 6 years of ownership
Our most major expense was the converter went out a year
And a half ago.
no tires which can sometimes be a problem.
only had it at the dealer once under warranty for minor issues.
They replaced the concertone entertainment center.
And a recall on the fridge.
My wife hatted to see it go.

We now have a palomino 32 bhok-6
We had it at the dealer before winter storage for a few minor things.
main slide seal was loose
Bed room slide was catching on the carpet
Propane fitting was leaking
and maybe a couple other little things.

One of the most important items you need to have
is a volt/ohm meter!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 12:55 AM   #6
Site Team

just remember, the Rockwood trailers are twins of the Flagstaff trailers.
usually have a different model number, except for the hybrid TTs.

there are a lot more Rockwood dealers than Flagstaff dealers so there are way more Rockwoods out there. but they both come off the same assembly line.
so, you might want to check with the owners of Rockwood's twin to the 19FD or 23FB.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:17 AM   #7

we bought a mini lite which is in Rockwood 2010 series called ETC181. It is the previous generation of the 1901 thru 1904 which is like Flagstaff 19xx. We took it on 4350km trip last Aug with no issues. Like the 19FD it has murphy bed but dinette option instead of sofa.(compare 19RB). The 19FD optional dinnete instead of bunks would make great trailer for two. Ours ready for camping had hitch wt of 457lbs/2880 axle on CAT scales. You will need a WDH.
FR took our trailer back to the factory and modified the murphy bed as it had safety issue due to how bed is oriented in trailer. (this isnt issue with 19RB/19FD). FR stands behind their product. I agree the 23FB is too much trailer for the Xterra.
Best of luck in your search.. enjoy the 2012 camping season
Prodigy P3, E2 WDH
rschoono289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:16 AM   #8

We had to replace a day-night window shade, but discovered it was strung improperly by the Chinaman who put it together.
We had to add a support under the steps to the bedroom, as there was a bit too much overhang, and one had a hairline crack. Easy fix, and the steps are 10X stronger now.
Other than that, the camper has been trouble free. And the fit and finish are very good, especially for a lower-priced unit. When we were shopping for our fifth, we saw a lot of scary units, with terrible construction and cheap-looking.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:32 AM   #9

Location: No longer own a Forest River product, but enjoy the info on this site
F/R builds a quality product. We have put a lot more effort into modifying the camper to meet our needs vs fixing issues.

We had to replace the rubber dust caps on the axles -- the axle manufacturer provided a new set of dust caps - cost $0

The propane pigtail developed a leak - cost to fix ~/- $20

On our first outing we discovered that the water tank had a leak at one of the fittings in the back of the water heater. Turned out to be a dried clump of plumbers putty that didn't allow the fitting to properly seat and caused a leak. It was only a few dollars to fix, but was a PITA to fix.
teamgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:55 PM   #10

My in laws have the rockwood version of the 23FB and they tow it with a Dodge Grand Caravan. He got it new last year and has owned several RVs over the years including a 5er. He had an rpod that he traded for the 23FB and really feels the new one tows better than the much lighter rpod.

Myself personally am on my second FR product. My first was a 2006 TT and now I have a 2011 23LB but I tow it with a Titan. According to Nissan you are good for 5000 lbs.
dman1458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:37 AM   #11

Cool Dewinterizing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsfloyd View Post
we have a 2012 flagstaff 831rkss ...been out for 2 days ,, fit finish very good
Hi just bought a new 23ft flagstaff and was wondering if you could help me walk throught the dewinterizing process, I have fivere valves and want to make sure I am doing the process right. Thanks
tuckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckster View Post
Hi just bought a new 23ft flagstaff and was wondering if you could help me walk throught the dewinterizing process, I have fivere valves and want to make sure I am doing the process right. Thanks
Here's the de-winterizing checklist I put together for my Rockwood 2306 (same as the Flagstaff 23LB).

o Ensure water pump is connected to fresh water tank and not antifreeze inlet – reconfigure valves if necessary
o Drain holding tanks (fresh water and sewage)
o Attach garden hose to fresh water fill and fill fresh water tank.
o Turn on pump switch and open cold water side of all faucet and shower fixtures
o Leave open until water runs clear, no pink
o Repeat for hot water side
o CHECK FOR LEAKS IN WATER PUMP AREA AND UNDER SINKS
o Flush toilet until clear water runs into bowl.
o Connect hose to city water connection and run all faucets, toilet, and showers.
o Dump tanks again.
o Turn hot water heater by-pass valve to open position to allow water to enter and fill the hot water heater tank
o Install new water filter.
o Check tire pressure – 50 PSI
o Check lug nut torque – 100 ft-lbs
o Inspect all vents for signs of bug nests
o Lube black and gray tank valve handles with Liquid Wrench silicone spray
Old 04-02-2012, 06:20 PM   #13
Brigitte

Drain holding tanks? I planned on dewinterizing at home, is that something that needs to be done at campsite?
Where would i drain holding tanks?
Timbrens
boubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:38 PM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by boubou View Post
Drain holding tanks? I planned on dewinterizing at home, is that something that needs to be done at campsite?
Where would i drain holding tanks?
you only need to drain tanks the last time you camp other than that your fine .
you can leave the antifreeze in them over winter

the amount of water in your tanks from de winterizing isn't enough to worry about till your first camping trip of the year .
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote