Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2013, 09:51 PM   #21

Our 5th wheel is a bit shorter than yours but pin weight is about the same and we have a F350 Super Duty diesel. Very nice ride, TV has plenty of power and handles the trailer easily which makes for a comfortable tow. Personally I wouldn't tow with anything smaller than 3\4 ton but we all have our own comfort levels and preferences. Enjoy your rig...

Tim & Jenn
2009 Forest River Grey Wolf 235 5er
2003 F-350 Superduty 6.0 l Diesel
DSP 17K
aiscpl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:22 PM   #22

It's rated for half ton (Fords)-our rig weighs in at 9400 lbs fully loaded.
kopy kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:02 AM   #23
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopy kat View Post
It's rated for half ton (Fords)-our rig weighs in at 9400 lbs fully loaded.
Everyone has their own personal rules and what's acceptable. For me, my goal/rule (though, I'm getting awfully close these days) is to stay within all of my truck's ratings.

For 9,400 pounds of loaded weight, you likely have a pin weight from 1,400 pounds at 15% to 2,350 pounds at 25%. Once you add in driver, passengers, gear and hitch- that's going to be close to or over GVWR for many 1/2-ton trucks.

I do see that you said (Ford) as the EcoBoost, if properly optioned really changes the game with some of the numbers their truck is boasting!

The hardest part (and which I'm guilty of in this post) is generalizations. Each truck, camper and family are different. What works for me now may not work in the future.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:08 AM   #24
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vpierce View Post
We have seen just pictures. My husband does like that floor plan too. We are just concerned about not going over the tow weight for a half ton

Valerie
Valerie- I'm not sure how savvy to tow weights you are or aren't, but generally the "maximum tow capacity" is generally unachievable due to hitting other truck ratings first. When you look at what a truck can tow, you need to look at a series of things: maximum tow capacity, the truck's GVWR and the available payload capacity, the truck's rear axle weight ratings and the tire load capacities.

Then, you have to decide if staying within all of the ratings is important to you, or if you're willing to exceed some and by how much.

If you already know this, then go forth and be awesome.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:20 AM   #25

That is why I specified (Ford)---as they are going after more market share in the booming RV market--and I expect the other brands will be changing in order to compete as well.

I do realize that my F350 is way more than enough truck for my 9400 lb Flagstaff, but I got such a great deal on it I HAD to take it

Speaking of market share and weight--I notice the RV market seems to be getting on the bandwagon as well with more lite and super light RV units--and that is where the CAT scales really have to be used---my Flagstaff is rated at 10,000 lb and 2,000 lb pin weight--and I am under that and intend to stay there (no matter how many goodies I want to add to the starage area)...
Old 08-17-2013, 12:07 PM   #26

Flagstaff/truck

Make sure you get the diamond package if it is available....for us was best $ s we ever spent.....you see all kinds of trucks towing bigger and smaller trailers....for us 3/4 T 2500 commercial Silverado...crew cab with 8 ft bed was a must for long wheel base and enough truck for all conditions....like anything it depends on the task....any truck will tow any trailer...but if you want to be safe bigger is always better.....course if you tow you trailer 50-100 miles to the beach on flat ground and good weather and leave it for the season....you probably can get away with using anything as long as you go slow....but if you tow anywhere anytime is best to have to much truck than just enough or not enough....course you have to remember those with big trucks have the capability of going fast fast so they are busy here making tire posts as they are probably overloaded in the trailer and exceeding the tires rated speeds....enough said... stay at 80% of the max tire trailer and truck weights and you will find nothing but good driving experience.....push the envelope and you will be making lots of posts on here ..... best of luck.....I think Flagstaff has a great product at a great price.....so get all the bells and whistles.....

2011 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 Gas 3.73
2013 Flagstaff 8524 RLWS
1978 Cape Dory Ketch
sail2liv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 01:51 PM   #27

I agree on the Diamond package- much more bang for the buck!
Old 08-17-2013, 02:00 PM   #28

The Diamond package is really nice and I think it would definitely be worth it!
Vpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 02:17 PM   #29

We have a 2010 version of that model. Love it. Use a GMC 2500 with 6.0 gas engine. You barely know you are towing. We leave the Michigan winters for 3 to 4 months every winter, typically traveling around 6,000 miles. No problems.
tom.keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:40 PM   #30

I have pulled a similiar 5th wheel from Alberta Canada to Mesa Az. with my 2012 Chev Siverado 1/2 ton with the trailer package and had no problems other than some slow pass climbs but then again the diesels were slower too.(winter time too) We are getting our 2014 8528RKWS next week and will be towing it down south with our Chev with no expectations of any issues towing.
cdnwillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:50 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnwillyg View Post
I have pulled a similiar 5th wheel from Alberta Canada to Mesa Az. with my 2012 Chev Siverado 1/2 ton with the trailer package and had no problems other than some slow pass climbs but then again the diesels were slower too.(winter time too) We are getting our 2014 8528RKWS next week and will be towing it down south with our Chev with no expectations of any issues towing.
That sounds reassuring! Thank you we are excited about getting one soon.
Vpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 01:53 PM   #32

We picked our Diamond Package one up this spring. 2014 model. Has renewed our love of camping. Pulling with a 07 GMC 1500HD. Sweet! Did hit high winds heading to alberta but other than that no problems. Not sure I like the revolution hitch. Seems to croak and groan at every turn
Richard McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:30 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard McDougall View Post
We picked our Diamond Package one up this spring. 2014 model. Has renewed our love of camping. Pulling with a 07 GMC 1500HD. Sweet! Did hit high winds heading to alberta but other than that no problems. Not sure I like the revolution hitch. Seems to croak and groan at every turn
Have you had any issues with your 5th so far? I think I will like the hitch as it takes me 40 acres to land it into its parking spot, straight a head is all good.
Get ours on Wednesday for a trip to Drumheller over the weekend...maiden voyage.
cdnwillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:12 PM   #34

No problems at all. Wind kicks the steps out but bunji cord handles that. Did have the awning call back but really, no issues at all
Richard McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:49 PM   #35
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Everyone has their own personal rules and what's acceptable. For me, my goal/rule (though, I'm getting awfully close these days) is to stay within all of my truck's ratings.

For 9,400 pounds of loaded weight, you likely have a pin weight from 1,400 pounds at 15% to 2,350 pounds at 25%. Once you add in driver, passengers, gear and hitch- that's going to be close to or over GVWR for many 1/2-ton trucks.

I do see that you said (Ford) as the EcoBoost, if properly optioned really changes the game with some of the numbers their truck is boasting!

The hardest part (and which I'm guilty of in this post) is generalizations. Each truck, camper and family are different. What works for me now may not work in the future.
Pin wt on the 8528RKWS is 1075. Pushed my fender edge down 1-1/2" -1-3/4" when loaded for 3 months in FL. 40# in the airbags took it to back to empty height.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:47 PM   #36

We also have this 5th wheel purchased it used this year love it! Pull with our Chevy Dudley because its what we had already
Dancy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 02:43 PM   #37

Old coot can you email me the pictures of your shock installation??? snowflake5@centurylink.net
porkchopjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 03:01 PM   #38
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkchopjack View Post
Old coot can you email me the pictures of your shock installation??? snowflake5@centurylink.net
You should have a zip file in your email now. Let me know how it goes.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 07:21 PM   #39

We have the 2016 Flagstaff 8528 IKWS with Diamond package twin ac and love it. We just traveled from Port St. Lucie Florida to Oswego, New York. Our 2016 6.7 liter Turbo Diesel Ram Laramie Longhorn handled the trip with ease. Furnance is keeping up with the cold nights and the fireplace is used on cool nights.
OswegoLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 05:29 PM   #40

7700 miles on the rig in my signature. It has the Diamond package.

The only issue with this setup is warping of the truck's brake rotors from all the heat cycling in the mountains. The engine braking in a gasser is not enough to prevent. When they're totally shot, I'll upgrade to drilled and slotted rotors.

2015 Flagstaff 8528RKWS
2013 Ford F-150 Ecobeast
LTnTN is offline   Reply With Quote