Old 04-17-2012, 12:39 PM   #1
Camper Less Camping

Flagstaff Super Lite 8528 IKWS 5'ver

We're looking to upgrade from our TT to a fifth wheel, saw this model in person with the "Diamond Package" and looked like a unit we would enjoy. Wanted to hear from anyone who has this model about the pro's and con's of this unit to help us determine if it'll work for us. Thanks!

Old 04-17-2012, 01:30 PM   #2

This is a new floorplan for this year, so I doubt if there are many members that can give you a review of that particular model. I have the Flagstaff 8528CKWS and enjoy it immensely. I like the open floorplan with lots of space in the living area. The kitchen area can get tight in mine. The overall workmanship is comparable to any in the price range and better that many. This unit , being a light weight, is constructed that way, so don't expect heavy duty construction in materials and frame. Of particular area of concern would be the rear bumper. It is paper thin and only designed as a sewer hose carrier. I carried bikes for one trip and promptly decided against it after reading many posts on the website. Some time later the welds did crack with only the weight of the spare tire. Most Flagstaff owners on this site speak highly of their units. I had one warranty issue and teh dealer promply resolved the issue. the kitchen faucet was leaking. In fact I purchased a residential faucet, installed it myself and sent the bill to the dealer. He replied with a cheque for the cost of the faucet. I did look at the IKWS model with Diamond package at a recent RV show and liked the layout. Very roomy. Not sold on teh dark exterior colours. May look nicer at the campsite. Good luck.

2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:19 PM   #3

If the IKWS was available two years ago, we would have bought it!
Absolutely awesome floorplan for a 28-foot fifth.
The only concern I would have is if the sink island blocked access to the fridge with the slides in. Only a problem while travelling and looking for a snack, but still a problem.
If you buy one, get the leather recliners, as they are very nice indeed.
And the atrium windows of course. Although maybe the Diamond package includes them?
Also note the fairly heavy hitch weight, which would max out most 1/2 tons. If you have a Ford Ecoboost max-tow, or a 3/4 ton, no problem.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:24 PM   #4

And note how short the awnings are. You get two on the passenger side, but neither provide a very big area to hide on a rainy day.
But a small price to pay for a beautiful camper!
Old 04-17-2012, 02:34 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

Only problem with Atrium windows is if you have to park with those windows facing the sun in the afternoon, they let in a lot of heat that the AC has trouble keeping up with. They do give you a fabulous view tho. We ended up making a blockoff we could put on the outside and block the the sun. The day/night shades didn't help much but the blockoff shade sure did. Was easy to remove and install. Made and installed brackets on our 12 Flagstaff 8528RKWS so we can use them on it even tho it doesn't have the Atrium windows.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:50 PM   #6

The atrium windows have a very dark tint, so that helps a lot. We have never really noticed it to be a problem.
There is one issue with these campers that any potential buyer should be aware of, and is the one thing that bothers me about them. The floor is a weak spot. It seems that FR decided to save a bunch of weight by using a much too thin plywood on the floor. There have been some reports form owners of the floor actually giving way. I think one of them was a full-timer though, so they would have had a lot of traffic. So I wouldn't buy one to full-time in, nor if I had kids jumping up and down on the floor.
We are careful with ours, so not overly worried. But I sure wish FR had not done that. Another 200 lbs of plywood, or about $200 worth, would have made our Flagstaff almost perfect.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:04 PM   #7
Camper Less Camping

Thanks everyone for the info/tips...great information!

Another question, noticed these units come with the Reese Sidewinder hitch, I liked the idea of not having to purchase a slider hitch due to this setup, anyone out there have any issues or tips on how well these are working with your shortbed trucks?

Cajun Po-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post
Thanks everyone for the info/tips...great information!

Another question, noticed these units come with the Reese Sidewinder hitch, I liked the idea of not having to purchase a slider hitch due to this setup, anyone out there have any issues or tips on how well these are working with your shortbed trucks?

I am very pleased with my sidewinder. You can set it up to use as it is intended or opt for the standard setup. It eliminates the need for a slider. I have a short bed truck and can turn over 90 degrees with no worries.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:10 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

If you use the search function, there are some previous posts on the Rockwood 8289WS which is the twin to the Flagstaff 8528 IKWS.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:52 PM   #10
Tee

I have said Rockwood twin in the 8289WS flavor! Mine is a 2013 that I ordered and picked up from the dealer on April 6th. I have spent one night in it. I LOVE the floor plan. Has more storage than I "currently" have stuff to put in. Mine is not the diamond, I wanted white exterior anyway. I will be happy to answer any specific questions you have about the unit. However, with one night in it I don't have much to say about issues. I had a couple small water leaks to fix, (filter housing was a little loose, and the fill hose on the fresh water tank was loose at the tank) and the bedroom is 10+ degrees warmer than the rest of the coach running the furnace, (installed register filters in the bedroom and hall registers. Just enouph resistance to force more heat to the back of the coach.The furnace is directly below those registers and the path of least resistance put more heat up in the nose. I also shut off the basement register, had a knob to do so)I corrected both issues with little work!.

As stated before, you CANNOT get to anything with the slides in other than the toilet. But I don't need to get into the fridge while traveling anyway as I have a fridge in my truck!!

T
Tee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 04:52 PM   #11

We just purchased the 8528Ikws 2014 diamond package with limited carpet. We opted to install wood floors which match our cherry cabinets perfectly .This indeed is a beautiful 5th wheel . I have noticed no issues with ours. However, we are bothered with other campers wanting to view ours . Just kidding , we love sharing with others . We have a 15 ton ac and have not noticed a cooling problem . If you extend the kitchen slide out about 10 inches , you can reach the refrigerator fine . Most rest area stops will allow for this .
JoeJan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:11 AM   #12
Joe

We have the same model and we are very happy with it. We have encountered a few issues in the last 2 trips. Our back flow valve on the waterpump failed and we noticed water coming out of the tank fill valve while connected to city water. The other issue we noticed is that when we operated the microwave with the fireplace o the fireplace would shut off. The only other issue we have is the noise with the fan cooling the refrigerator. Making an appointment to get them fixed after our next trip. We still really like the unit. We made the switch from a 31 ft Rockwood TT to this unit.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:24 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
The other issue we noticed is that when we operated the microwave with the fireplace o the fireplace would shut off.
Do you have 30A service or do you have the optional 50A service? Some other member posted the same experience and I believe it's set-up that way to avoid a main breaker trip as you're exceeding 30A draw.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:53 AM   #14

We purchased a 2013 Flagstaff 8528 IKWS diamond package fully loaded special order after having seen a 2012 . We picked it up in October and left two weeks later for Texas. We have had a Forest River before a Classic Super Lite 8528 CKWS for five years. We love it but when we saw the new IKWS we fell in love with all the space and upgrades. We pull it with a 2006 King Ranch 150 with a short bed and a super glide hitch. The Reese hitch from the Rv is in locked position. The super glide hitch has been great for us. We used it with the last fifth. We did have a problem. We had a terrible smell and thought that it was sewer gas but upon checking and making sure the tanks were commpletely clean we saw steam coming from the battery compartment. The battery was boiling and giving off a terrible smell like silver polish. We removed it. Later heard that it was a bad batch of batteries and some others had similar problem. They replaced the battery and all seems great. It could of been bad if the battery would have exploded. We were told that sometimes from vibration the metal parts in the batterys can touch and overheat.. goood to know. I am sure even though all has been checked we will monitor it closely. It does have a kill switch but was also told it can still
overheat. ???
VD Roskamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:57 AM   #15

We also found out that the microwave and fireplace is a common switch. You get one or the other. That is how they did it. It used to be with the air conditioner and the firepace which I think is the better option
Old 08-27-2013, 05:58 PM   #16
Joe

We have friends we camp with who have the same model, just not a Diamond package and theirs does not have this problem. I called the dealer this morning and they said it should not do that.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:33 AM   #17

We purchased a Rockwood 8289WS (same floor plan) May 10th & have camped 16 nights so far with no issues. The only issue we have had is with the revolution hitch as the standard wedge did not work well with our B&W Patriot hitch. We bought the wedge ($50) designed for our hitch and had it installed ($48) and also had to put grease on the rotating part of the pin box as after 600 miles it started to creak and squeak alot but the grease solved the issue. So make sure that there is not a special wedge for your hitch and you should be good. Love ours.
2013 nights camped 35
MarcusN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:19 AM   #18

Microwave switch -fireplace switch

In reply to the thread about the about switch. We did not know why this happens also but he said the 2013 were made that way because the air conditioner is a higher btu than previous years and to keep everything running something has to give.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:32 AM   #19

The air conditioner is by itself instead of the way it used to be with the fireplace on our older model. It is on a toggle switch and it is either or. This 2013 Diamond package made for Canada is also a toggle switch down by the co2 detector and it is a either or switch. It isn't really any problem because how often do you use the microwave for an extented period of time. Believe me we had this unit checked out because for the first week the fireplace would not even shut off it you disconnected the power. Somehow two wires were touching to the battery power and not letting it disengage. Creepy and I thought we were crazy but the dealer found the glitch and now it is super. I has been a year in October and I feel that hopefully we have all the bugs in the unit sorted out. We love this plan and fifth. I call it my little cedar creek. Smaller size with all the luxury. The only thing I think could make it better would be to add l or 2 more feet to the bedroom end to make dressing easier. It meaures 31.5 do make it 33. Just a little more empty weight. I would give up hauling water for a litle more space. Just a thought.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:38 AM   #20

In our 2008 Flagstaff, we had a soft floor problem. We were in New Mexico at the time and on our way back home we called Forest River and they knew exactly what the problem was and because it was only less than two years old they repaired the floor upstairs and down and under in the storage with a new floor. They lifted the entire unit up and put own a new floor. You wouldn't even know they did it . It looked great. They said they knew some of the insulation for the floors at that time were not as solid and they had fixed a few earlier. No cost to us and that is why I keep going back to Forest River. They really stand behind their product, well at least for us.

Tags