Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2016, 01:17 PM   #1

Flagstaff Super Lite Wheels

I have a new 2016 Flagstaff Super Lite that has a bad wheel on it. I was checking the tire for a leak and noticed that the tire was fine but that the wheel was leaking. It is leaking on back side of the wheel where the spoke area of the wheel meets the rest of the wheel. The dealer told me today that the wheel is on back order. Has anyone else had this issue? Also, does anyone know who makes this wheel? It is a 14" rim.
Jeff
bigmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 05:11 PM   #2
Site Team

Look real close and see if it's a pinhole leak. Also look to see if it's in the seam weld on the rim.

If it's either of those then it should be under warranty.
The wheel is most likely from Lionshead. You can contact them through their website and see if they'll replace it.

I'd suggest filling the area of the wheel that's leaking with water and taking a video of it and send it to the vendor. That'll help them understand what's leaking. It'll also help prove that it wasn't a curb strike.
Old 09-09-2016, 07:30 PM   #3

It is a bad cast I guess. When you put it under water there is an area about 1/2" wide that has bubbles come through it. Loses about a pound a day. Dealer has it now and said that the wheel is on back order. I checked the website for Lionshead and that is who made it. I'm going to check with them on Monday and see what kind of time we are looking at. May have to push the dealer to get another wheel off another new unit on the lot. My trailer is only 2 months old.
Old 09-09-2016, 08:24 PM   #4
Site Team

Are you sure that the dealer has approval to replace the wheel?

The people at Lionshead are good to deal with. At least they were to me.
Old 09-12-2016, 12:51 AM   #5

My 2012 Flagstaff Super Light, 831RLBSS, has wheels supplied by Lions Head. However, the wheel manufacturer is Hispec Wheel & Tire. The clearcoat finish on my wheels is deteriorating & I contacted Lions Head who could not help me as the warranty period has expired. I have tried contacting Hispec by phone & email numerous times and they have been non-responsive. Granted the wheels are about 5 years old, however, when not in use the wheels & tires are kept clean & covered. I would certainly think the finish would last longer. The aluminum wheels on my 2007 Toyota Tundra look brand new & they aren't even kept covered. I am very disappointed with Hispec Wheel & Tire.
rac54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 04:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmurph View Post
I have a new 2016 Flagstaff Super Lite that has a bad wheel on it. I was checking the tire for a leak and noticed that the tire was fine but that the wheel was leaking. It is leaking on back side of the wheel where the spoke area of the wheel meets the rest of the wheel. The dealer told me today that the wheel is on back order. Has anyone else had this issue? Also, does anyone know who makes this wheel? It is a 14" rim.
Jeff
There use to be a member that all 4 of his leaking, he was leaking at least 2 lbs per day. It took him a couple of different dealers but they finally found it, same rim comp. It was on a mini lite. That was like 3 or 4 years ago. AS you found out it is lions head, they have the market with FR on rims and tires.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 08:59 PM   #7

Thanks for all the replys. I made some phone calls today since I had a hard time believing that a wheel that fits a lot of Flagstaff campers was on back order. My dealer lied. Forest River and Lionshead both said they had plenty of stock. I called the dealer back and got the run around but I told them to fix the other items and leave the wheel alone. Lionshead said that they would send me the new wheel as soon as I got the trailer back and gave them the info that they needed from the wheel. Forest River and Lionshead were very eager to help me today. I wish my dealer was. I don't like being lied to. This experience will probably be the end of my dealings with this dealership. They lied for no reason so I don't think I can trust them to perform service on it anymore.
Old 09-12-2016, 10:16 PM   #8

Well good for you, just another great dealer that FR uses. I would say at least 98% of our problems are these dealers. I wonder if FR enters into any kind of contract with their dealers? Good ones which they do have are far and few between....I have given up on dealers all together. I was lucky and found a Mom and Pop service center, they have no affiliation with any brand. The labor rate is cheaper and I never get the run around. I was looking at my rims today after reading your post, I found 1 rim that it looks like the alum. is peeling off, even Mothers Polish won't help. They must coat them with something, don't have any idea what could cause that. It's like a plastic coating or something, very strange...

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flagstaff, wheel