Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2014, 08:50 AM   #1

Flagstaff Tires ONLY!

This ONLY applies to Flagstaff (Trailer/5th Wheel) future owners!! When you Order your unit have the Dealer(Check the box) for (Goodyear or Maxxis) TIRES! The people in (Middlebury,In) can figure out a way to have (UPGRADED Tires) placed on the units (Before) they leave the Factory! There is a cost advantage when buying in BULK,We Flagstaff owners could reap the benefits! Flagstaff could be the Leader in (Safe/Good) Tires on our units! I Hope to see this HAPPEN!! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 09:38 AM   #2

Thanks planning to order a 27RLWS trailer for a spring delivery.
Canadiancrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 08:06 AM   #3

Youroo - your post is a bit confusing. In the first part yuo say that this can happen - the dealer can check the box. In the latter part of your post you suggest that, while the people in Middlebury "can" figure out a way to make this happen, you "hope" this will happen. Is it possible to all or not?

When I ordered mine in 2013 (for my 2014 model) I was not told of this option, although granted I bought it out of state via telephone and did not sit down with a dealer and with an actual paper order form.
2010 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3L | K&N filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
Wmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 01:16 PM   #4

I will attempt to post again (Kicked off 3 times today! The O/P is meant to Start a (Tire Movement) on the Forum for Flagstaff Members. If F/R Flagstaff Division People read this Forum like others (Maybe they can be the (FIRST) to correct the (DAILY TIRE Problems) posted on this Forum? Other F/R Division members must be Happy with their Factory installed tires. I see where F/R has Reimbursed members for (Upgrading/replacing) tires on units after the Member has Problems! I would like to see (Upgraded Tires) placed on the unit when it leaves the F/R Factory,NOT after the Member buys it then has to Deal with the (Dealer-F/R-Tire MFG) on our time and trouble! Do it Right the FIRST Time! Youroo!!
Old 10-30-2014, 01:23 PM   #5

OK - now I understand your post. Good idea. As long as the customer is willing to pay the difference in cost I see no reason why FR would not want to do this. I would suggest that maybe Customer Service should also be contacted with this suggestion just in case they do not read this independent unaffiliated forum.
Old 10-30-2014, 01:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
The O/P is meant to Start a (Tire Movement) on the Forum for Flagstaff Members. If F/R Flagstaff Division People read this Forum like others (Maybe they can be the (FIRST) to correct the (DAILY TIRE Problems) posted on this Forum?
I'm all for better tires from the start - but Wildcat (and maybe others?) beat them to it.

Wildcat Fifth Wheel Features / Options by Forest River

If you convince the Flagstaff team to upgrade, make sure they do the same on the Rockwood versions...

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 01:37 PM   #7

In regards to Willing to Pay,if not they can use the (Cheap Crappy Tires) that comes on the unit! Just like our new 3/4 trucks,GM,you can Upgrade to (Michelin Tires) for 150.00$ A shredded Tire on a RV can cost (1000$s) and out of service for a period of time! Youroo!!
Old 10-30-2014, 01:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMP44 View Post
I'm all for better tires from the start - but Wildcat (and maybe others?) beat them to it.

Wildcat Fifth Wheel Features / Options by Forest River

If you convince the Flagstaff team to upgrade, make sure they do the same on the Rockwood versions...
That is Great that (Wildcat) offers a (Maxxis 8008 Tire) for Upgrade. Now for (Flagstaff to call them and ASK how They did it)! Youroo!!
Old 10-30-2014, 05:04 PM   #9

I'd pay extra. Hell, it looks like I'm going to pay anyway!

2015 Flagstaff 8528RKWS fiver
2013 Ram 2500 CTD Laramie CC SB 4WD Auto
cbconway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 07:28 PM   #10

I wonder how much extra it is ... can't be that much. But I would bet that the average Joe buying an RV would not know about this forum wisdom, and would probably want to just get the lowest price that would give him all the other features that they want. IOW, even with this option, until and unless there is a real problem in the industry, the great multitude of these factory tires will continue to be the less expensive off brand Chinese tires.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:39 PM   #11

There is another Tire Post going on now that Members (Swear Up & Down that F/R gave them (300$) to upgrade their RV Tires! Hell I would give that for F/R to put (Maxxis 8008 Tires) on at the Factory! I still would take them off and have Balanced! Youroo!!
Old 10-30-2014, 08:10 PM   #12

I suppose I might pay $300 for a higher load range tire upgrade, but Maxxis "brand" just for brand sake ... nope.

When time comes to upgrade my Westlakes I would likely get upgraded Goodyear Marathons (next load range up) and they are made in China, but I don't care. not too many options on my trailer as my axles are close together so I need to keep the same OD on the tire while going up in load capacity.
Old 12-17-2014, 04:16 PM   #13

Changing tires to Load D from C, do I have to change my rim?

Just bought a Super Lite 5th (8528 IKWS), have the Trail Express Load C in 225/75/15. Going to the Maxxis 8008, same size but in a load D. The C's max inflation is 50psi, while the new tires in Load D call for 65.

So my Sumic 5 bolt wheels (15x6JJ) have 50 psi checked on the trailer sticker on the outside of the trailier. So I am hoping they can handle the higher pressure. I didn't go with Load E's, as I knew that the wheels probably couldn't handle 80psi.

I'm not going to call the dealer, as too much of the info I have received is plain wrong!
animas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 01:21 PM   #14

Until folks that trailer quit driving fast, loading too much, and not running correct pressures, also using tow vehicles that can t handle good amount of pin weight to keep OE tires at around 80% of max....and storing vehicle that does not have TP at max or a little more....using outdated tires...not replacing both tire when a flat happens while moving...no matter what is on there you will get the boom.....and for those who use tires greater than OE that have higher pressure and more ply will get the bounce and start complaining about broken glasses and bad cabinets....and bent frames......I watched my friend maxxis blow while going over at RR track at 15 mph.
Course who ever says he drove the posted speed limit plus on interstates.....If we just change our human behavior maybe there won t be so many tire post on this forum....that way we can talk about campfires and good wine to drink....bottom I am in favor of a tire option at purchase, but before going bigger look into reason a lower tire pressure and less ply might be better......drive interstate 10 in La... then we can talk about bounce......

2011 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 Gas 3.73
2013 Flagstaff 8524 RLWS
1978 Cape Dory Ketch
sail2liv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flagstaff, tire, tires