Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 10:20 AM   #1

Forest River no more

This is the body of an email I had to send to Forest River:
FR, Flagstaff Micro-Lite 25DKS

Our third FR RV and our most disappointing experience yet. It makes me wonder what Warren Buffet taught y'all about cutting corners for profits. We have been in it on our maiden voyage for two weeks: poorly sealed or not sealed at all interstices between the bathtub/shower and the wall; blackwater tank leak; greywater tank drainage; bathroom sink drainage. This is not only totally unacceptable, it reeks of lack of attention to detail and makes me question the overall quality of this RV. I am very close to trading it in at a loss to cut my losses and I shouldn't have to do that with a brand new RV. Also, you may want to pull Country Creek's (Mississippi) sales ability. They provided virtually no dealer prep, were not honest about a number of things including the extended warranty contract they sold me. IMHO if you want to maintain a reputation for the quality we experienced with our prior 2 RV's you need to pay attention to detail. Bob Byrne knows me and I'm sure he would not be happy with my experience. Could you handle a swap plus cash for a better RV in Indiana? I shouldn't have to lose money if I do that for another FR RV. I am disappointed and very concerned.

Since the FR response did not provide for a full credit and swap I discovered the Grand Design line. I took a $4K beating on the trade but I believe obtained a much better constructed RV.

Having said that I would caution Forum readers about buying from Country Creek in Hattiesburg MS. IMHO if they had provided thorough dealer prep most if not all of these problems would have been discovered.

The next caution is if anyone tries to sell you an "extended warranty" from "XtraRide". The promised roadside assistance is a joke. You can cancel as I am doing but it must run through the selling dealer and will take 4-6 weeks to process a check. I find this totally unacceptable. Country Creek expected me to drive from Mobile AL to Hattiesburg to sign a form and getting them to send me one was like pulling teeth. Three days later no form. I complained to the owner and demanded he FedEx one to me and the piker refused to spend $15 to do it. Then he said 4-6 weeks because he has to wait for XtraRide to send him payment. He's too cheap to front the money - only $1800. Some businessman! Oh, BTW, the XtraRide "protection" is underwritten by Protective Life....not a great company IMHO.

I am now beginning to believe the lack of attention to detail by FR. I will never buy one again. And, IMHO avoid Country Creek.

Henry Schwarzberg JD

Old 09-10-2016, 10:27 AM   #2

I read this several times. I'm not trying to be a butt, but do I understand that you bought a low end FR trailer and are complaining to this degree because the shower is not caulked against the wall, and one tank is 'leaking'?

If you want to hammer dealers, do that. Over half aren't worth a bucket of spit.

But some of us, me included, are ecstatically happy with our FR products. It's obvious they have some lemons. But it may just be me, but I'm having trouble understanding the reasoning behind your situation.

Edit: I just read it again. So you bought a $15K camper and hate it, and only lost $4K on a trade for a $30K camper, and you haven't used it yet but are convinced it's way better.......... is that correct?

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
Old 09-10-2016, 10:40 AM   #3
Georgia Frog Rally 2017

Reading your bio I would have thought you would have checked everything carefully. As mentioned if its a low end camper then you get what ya pay for. Later RJD
2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days booked for 2016--60 missed by 2
Days camped in 2016 58
Days booked so far in 2017 37
Old 09-10-2016, 10:44 AM   #4

After having an R-POD with great dealer prep by Couch RV and no problems, and then a 21FBRS from Berryland with a few issues done in a day, yes, I have a problem with the shape in which the 25DKS was delivered. FR is approving all the items for a fix but I don't perceive the 25DKS to be such a "low end" unit. What I am really heated about is Country Creek, their lack of attention to detail, and their response about taking their sweet time to refund me $$ for a "policy" they misreprented.
Old 09-10-2016, 10:46 AM   #5

I can find the 25DKS for $15K. That's as low end as a camper gets, short of a tiny, tiny one. The Grand Design is a high end........it's great......no doubt! Impressive. But it's double the price. You can't compare a Chevy Cruze with a Lexus.

And your email/letter is not to a dealer. It's to Forest River. Did you give Forest River a chance to rectify things?

And are the sum of your issues truly shower caulking and one leak? Or am I missing something? I may be, just asking.

Wait......my reading comprehension is terrible I guess. You just said FR is fixing all the items, right?

Yet your email is vilifying them, no?

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
Old 09-10-2016, 01:27 PM   #6
Boondocking Only

Lol.. The lack of attention to detail is all on you! Always blaming someone else???
Old 09-10-2016, 01:37 PM   #7

IMHO, a "low-end" TTYL should be "low-end" because of lack of bells and whistles - not because of poor workmanship. I owned a Wildwood bunkhouse - it was simple but well-built. Now own a Rockwood - more bells and whistles, but a Frig that freezes our food, a slide out that squeals when deployed, and several workmanship issues that would have cost nothing for Forest River to have done right in the first place.

When I buy a $99 mattress, I don't expect it to feel like or last as long as a $500 mattress, but I do expect the covering to be sewn on and the springs to be inside.
2013 to 2014-27/2444/7/7
2015-36/3245/8/9
2016-61/3277/9/10
Old 09-10-2016, 01:38 PM   #8

I meant Travel Trailer, not TTYL.
2013 to 2014-27/2444/7/7
2015-36/3245/8/9
2016-61/3277/9/10
Old 09-10-2016, 01:49 PM   #9
Back On The Go

Agreed (w rockfossil)

Not too serious about anything except what affects health and happiness.
Old 09-10-2016, 01:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfossilman View Post
IMHO, a "low-end" TTYL should be "low-end" because of lack of bells and whistles - not because of poor workmanship. I owned a Wildwood bunkhouse - it was simple but well-built. Now own a Rockwood - more bells and whistles, but a Frig that freezes our food, a slide out that squeals when deployed, and several workmanship issues that would have cost nothing for Forest River to have done right in the first place.

When I buy a $99 mattress, I don't expect it to feel like or last as long as a $500 mattress, but I do expect the covering to be sewn on and the springs to be inside.
EXACTLY!

Closed Thread

Tags
forest river