Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2010, 11:04 PM   #1

Forest River problems!

I own a 2006 Flagstaff 831BHSS TT and noticed significant leak in the back within 4 months. I was told by the dealer - RON HOOVER RV in Houston - that the roof was covered under warranty, but NOT THE SEALS! I went on a several weeks spree contacting the top people in Forest River in July-August 2006 and was never even offered any help - just that's the way it is they all said. ON A BRAND NEW TRAILER!!! I have gone 4 years now with constant leaks, no matter how many times I have repaired and how much money I have paid. The back outer shell has now developed a crack and the trailer is probably worthless now. I have gotten absolutely no offer of asistance by HOOVER or Forest River for my lemon. Also, I have had to buy a replacement water heater ($850) since it went out a few months after the warranty on it expired, faucet busted, new axle (insurance paid for most), water line leaks, etc. I vowed 4 years ago that I would make sure the world knows and NOT TO BUY A FOREST RIVER!!! Besides the crack on the outside, the wood cabinets and roof, ceiling, and walls are completely water damaged and the trailer always smells musty, despite doing everything I knew how to stop it.
adf1350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 11:57 PM   #2

So you joined a group of Forest River owners just to rant and tell us all not to buy a Forest River product?

Are you here to offer any real help to anyone?
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 12:16 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJeeper View Post
So you joined a group of Forest River owners just to rant and tell us all not to buy a Forest River product?

Are you here to offer any real help to anyone?
This is my "help." My advise and help is more valuable than any other post on this site. I am out about $20000, and don't want anyone else to suffer.

If you can't appreciate it, then don't read posts like this.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:09 AM   #4

While it is understandable you are upset at your misfortune with your rig, and I am sorry it happened, please realize that the vast majority of owners, including me, are happy with their rigs and have not experienced the problems you have.

All the manufacturers produce a lemon at times, no matter the brand. If you had purchased a Keystone and had the problem, would you post a thread like this on their board?

If everything FR produced was as bad as you say, they would have been out of business long ago. Instead, they are doing well even in the lousy economy.

It also sounds like you may have more problems with a dealer that doesn't want to work with you than with Forest River itself.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 05:30 AM   #5

ADF1350, there is another forum, I can't remember which, that does nothing but tell anyone that has a forest river product how stupid they are. Maybe you could find that one and chat with them. They would probably appreciate that your post is "more valuable than any other post on this site"
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 06:50 AM   #6

I have posted on here some of the major problems I've had with my tt. I realize that it takes a little time to get the bugs worked out of a new one and I have consistantly worked on mine personally and taken it back to my dealer on 6 different occasions to have items fixed. Problems include items such as an awning adjustment, concertone replacement, leaks, broken latches, replacement of sidewals and this last time, the AC along with fourteen other items, some are minor but I was having to take it in anyway. All this after owning the tt for 18 months. I don't think I'm going to get the bugs worked out of this one. Every time I use the tt, another group of problems come up. I have spent more time with repairs than camping.

Forest River has paid my dealer for all of the repairs that they performed. They also acknowledged that I have a tt that has above normal problems and extended my warranty a year. The warranty will be up next Feb. After that I'll be on my own.

I have an email from my salesman telling me that FR and my dealer knew of the problems with the Rockwoods. My dealer had tried to get them to buy back the Rockwoods and FR refused. So I guess they just sold them to unsuspecting customers like myself. My dealer has since dropped the Rockwood line.

I have asked my dealer and FR if they would be willing to help me get out of this tt. In return I would purchase another FR product from my dealer. Neither is willing to help.
I tried working a deal out with my dealer, but I checked with another dealer on the same tt with the same MSRP's and they beat my dealer's offer.

This is my third FR unit and the only one that I have had these kind of problems. Even though I've been going through all of this I would still buy another FR product. As far as my dealer, until recently, I really liked their service. I'm going to pick up my tt this morning. They like two small items on back order, but they said their lot is full and they need me to come get the tt. So I'm not sure if I want to deal with them again.

I guess my point to all of this is, I realize what I have been experiencing is outside of the norm. FR has not ignored me, just won't help as much as I would like. So I will have no problem buying another FR product. As mentioned, there are many more satisfied customers than not.

So good luck to you, adf1350. I feel for you and the problems you have. I think you should have been treated better, but don't discount FR and their products. They still make some of the best units out there.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:50 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

When you come in to group of fairly happy owners, and start ranting, you have to realize you are once again ranting on deaf ears. We are mostly happy with Forrest River and the products they produce. We are here to help each other when problems arise, as they will with anything mechanical, whether it be a car, boat, motorcycle, camper, etc.

From reading your post, it claims you have been fixing a leaking roof for 4 years, and it still leaks. I would take it back to the person performing the maintenance and have them do it correctly, and I mean not cheap, but CORRECTLY. I can assume you live near Houston, since that is where your dealer is, and you complain of leaking water lines. Did these lines freeze and break because you did not winterize your trailer properly? Plumbing lines don't wear out. You might occasionally get a cracked fitting from towing down rough roads, which leads us to the axle replacement. Once again towing to fast on rough roads, or hitting a curb. And as far as the seals, assuming slide seals, leaking, were you aware they require regular maintenance and cleaning, and checking? They are kind of like wiper blades, they need replacing every so often, usually before they tear and start leaking. And as for the water heater, why did it need replacement? Leaking? Did you ever drain or flush it?

I'm not sure from a dealer standpoint if I would help you either, if you walk in the door and start ranting first thing. Sometimes in order to get help you have to be polite and ask for it. You may find it is the same way here, in order to get help you have to ask for it. You also need to break down your problem as best you can, and describe what is wrong and what you have done.

Good luck in whatever you do, whether you repair the trailer or get rid of it. We're not here to put anybody down, or Forrest River, and if that's all you have in mind, I'm afraid you may not find much help here either. Besides you're a little late as for not buying one, most of us already have.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 09:08 AM   #8
Pete

Sorry for ALL your problems! However, positve begets positive---negative begets negative!

My first MH was a 2001 FR GT. It was a lemon. Worked with FR on it in a positive manner and got another for a little addl $$$. There will be potential problems with everything. Approach them in a POSITIVE manner; it works better.

Hopefully this FR experience will not SOUR your outdoor activities/camping in the future. I'd hate to go camping and continually think about what a bad FR experience I had had with my first MH. I'm on my 4th FR product now.

Good luck to you! Ya know, It's kinda like having an issue with your marriage. If it didn't work out would you let that experience sour your future relationship/marriages? Just something to think about.

Stay POSITIVE!
gartonhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:24 AM   #9

We also have had some leaks on our trailer, but with some money and creative persistence we have conquered the problem. I think it is important to remember that we are taking the components of a house, putting them on wheels and hurtling them down the highway at 75 miles per hour. There is constant mantanence required, and in order to make these units lightweight, the materials used are not the same as you would find in other applications.
It is important to contact Forrest river, but attitude is everything. Perhaps if you approached life with a less bitter attitude, you would get sweeter results.

Lady Wendolyn

2003 21 ft Forrest River Shamrock

Manitoba Canada
ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:21 AM   #10

While almost any manufactured product can have a lemon in the bunch, Forest River products are above average in customer satisfaction. When I purchased both my Cherokee and Flagstaff TTs, there were a few minor problems which Forest River was very quick to respond and repair in a timley fashion. I have had problems with a particular dealer, but I have never had a problem with Forest River itself. Im sorry some people have had issues with their TTs, but being dilligent in spotting problems when they first appear is key to having them taken care of quickley and also prevents secondary problems from cropping up. I will continue to purchase Forest River products as I am one of many satisfied customers.
Old 08-08-2010, 02:07 PM   #11

We have a 2007 forest river flagstaff 5er 8528gtss. Bought it brand new. Yes, we've had problems with it but fully realize that it's the nature of the beast. As Ladywendolyn stated we're talking about a moving house here and things get rattled around alot. Some of the problems we've had are: The front body cap came apart from the side walls, two water pumps had to be replaced. The oven went out and had to be replaced. I went through 2 sets of Carlisle tires (OEM) blow outs before changing them to higher grade tires. The converter stopped working and had to be replaced. These and various and sundry items have malfunctioned since buying our RV new in 07. I still like the product and really have no regrets. We've been RVing since 1990 when we bought our first trailer a Fleetwood Prowler. I guess I was spoiled because for 17 years of using our Prowler, the only thing that went wrong was a water heater that had to be replaced and of course the normal wear and tear stuff, tires, brakes etc. Our Flagstaff is a Ultra-lite rig and with it comes a few things that in my opinion are up to par with the non-lite weight units. But as I said, I'm happy with it and just have to keep and eye out for things going wrong. We bought the extended warrantee so that has helped a lot. Happy RVing everyone..
TWO4THEROAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 02:14 PM   #12

I think some of the problems are factories are trying to cut cost plus using light weight materials and quality suffers. My old camper was 22yrs old and was in great shape when I sold it. I can tell a difference in the quality of the old vs new camper. I m not sure this new camper will last 22yrs..
rohlingerrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:09 AM   #13

Just curious how much they wanted to replace the seals? Did the leak occur in the first year?
Have you tried a different Forest River dealer? The dealer I bought mine from was dragging their feet on a repair so I contacted a different dealer who said they would have no problem performing warranty repairs on a unit not bought from them and could have it fixed in a couple days. I called my dealer and told them to have it ready to pick up so I could bring it to the other dealer and they magically found time to get it repaired right away! Maybe another dealer in your area would be more willing to work with you.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:59 PM   #14

"I think some of the problems are factories are trying to cut cost plus using light weight materials and quality suffers. My old camper was 22yrs old and was in great shape when I sold it. I can tell a difference in the quality of the old vs new camper. I m not sure this new camper will last 22yrs.."

If we paid as much (adjusted for inflation) for our campers today as we did 22 years ago, it would be of equal quality. People just don't want to pay the price, me included.
Considering what I paid for our new 5th, I am more than happy.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:26 PM   #15

A lot of folks don't realize that Forest River does not make most of the products used in the construction of their campers- YES, they ultimately make the choices on who's stuff to use in their construction, but it's really not them to blame for a bad water heater, or water pumps, ovens or tires. All of these were made by separate manufacturers, and carry their own product warranties, as well. I personally love my camper, and Forest River is buying out many other brands that are going bankrupt, to save their butts. Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:57 PM   #16

Thumbs up Update from Adf1350

As I promised Forest River, I would give credit when credit is due. After my last complaints in August 2010, Forest River finally researched and found my claim in 2006 and said that they "unjustly denied" my claim. They shipped my trailer to their mfg. plant in IN and almost completely rebuilt it - it needed it. I commend them for coming through and making the situation right, as a good company will do. I will now recommend them - even though it took 4 years. I feel whole again. They even domed the roof, which I thought was a flaw in their roofs - that they are flat.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:46 AM   #17
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adf1350 View Post
As I promised Forest River, I would give credit when credit is due. After my last complaints in August 2010, Forest River finally researched and found my claim in 2006 and said that they "unjustly denied" my claim. They shipped my trailer to their mfg. plant in IN and almost completely rebuilt it - it needed it. I commend them for coming through and making the situation right, as a good company will do. I will now recommend them - even though it took 4 years. I feel whole again. They even domed the roof, which I thought was a flaw in their roofs - that they are flat.
That's good to hear. Sometimes it's an individual not the company as a whole that drops the ball for some reason or another. Thanks for posting that FR made good on your issues.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:28 PM   #18

Location: Canandaigua,New York (The heart of the Finger Lakes)
Maybe they are learning if they dont take care of there customers.....they arent going to have repeat customers...........good for you and FR for making it right ! Note: R+ to you for reposting that all turned out positive !!
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 05:38 PM   #19

Sabre Breaks

Anyone have problems with there brakes? I have a 2010 Sabre 31RETS and brakes went out on first long trip. Come to find out FR changed design an now is replacing both axles.
StrawberryMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 06:12 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by adf1350 View Post
Good deal,glad it turned out for you! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flagstaff