Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2015, 06:42 PM   #1

Fridge question

DW and I have a 23LB and we are getting ready to go camping In a couple of days, we were going to start up the fridge on propane and let it run till we leave to get it cold before we go. We have a Dometic fridge and when I went to start it I heard it clicking like it was trying but didn't start, the camper is level and I turned on both LP tanks(and yes there is LP in the tanks cause we had them topped off before our last trip) what am I doing wrong we didn't want to use electric cause it's not at our house and DW didn't want to risk getting the power cord stolen while we were not there to look after it.
cruiser1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 07:26 PM   #2
Cyber Phrenologist

You may have air in the gas lines.

Light the eyes on the stove for a minute. That will get the air out of the lines and try it again.

There is also a safety feature in the gas regulator. If it thinks there is a leak in the system it will shut off the gas. Then it will begin to slowly fill the lines back to the appliances. When the regulator sees the lines WILL hold pressure, then it will allow gas to flow normally. On my 5th wheel this could take 30 minutes. And this usually happens if I have disconnected/filled both tanks at once.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 07:47 PM   #3
Site Team

Also if you turn the valve on too fast, the safety valve may shut the gas off.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 07:58 PM   #4

Fridge question

I did light the stove and then tried the fridge again but it still wouldn't work. (Oops, looks like I'm signed in under my wife's name)
If it is the regulator, do I just turn off the tanks, wait a while and turn them back on slowly or would it not be a problem with the regulator since the stove lit just fine?
Old 07-20-2015, 09:03 PM   #5
Cyber Phrenologist

If the stove lit, and stayed lit, then the tanks and regulator are good.

If you had the regulator issue I mentioned above, then you would slowly open the tanks, then go find something else to do for 1/2 an hour. But it seems your problem now is the fridge itself.

Certain bugs like the smell ( I guess) of natural gas, or for some other reason like to build nests in the orifices of LP appliances. Have a look around in the back of the fridge and see if anyone has moved in. Seems I recall certain spiders and mu daubers are particularly bad about that.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 06:02 PM   #6

I also own a 23Lb. When I start the fridge on propane, I make sure, as mentioned above, to purge the air out of the gas lines by lighting the stove. After turning off the stove I push the button to start the fridge. I then go outside near the fridge assess panel and listen to be sure all's working well. I hear the clicking of the igniter and then after a few moments I hear the gas burning. Soon after the fridge starts to cool down. Sometimes, but not always, the clicking of the igniter will go on for almost a minute or so until the gas ignites.
https://www.glenphotos.com
WatkinsGlenCamper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge