Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2008, 03:55 PM   #1

Front Window

I am seriously considering the purchase of a 831KRSS. Two things have me concerned though. One is the Concertone system which I mentioned in another thread. Another is the front window. Initially I thought it sounded like a nice feature. But then I listened to a KZ and Jayco dealer (I know, not always a good thing to do), and both of them indicated that most companies in the industry have moved away from those windows because they always leak. It sounded like typical sales man talk, but I have noticed very few new trailers have them except FR. Those of you that have had a FR for a while, have you had leaking problems? If you had, did you get good service trying to stop it?
armadafrfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 07:59 PM   #2

Fix it yourself

Front window leaks are easy to fix. I would have to say that if the front window is installed properly, there is no reason for it to leak now or in the future. Installed properly is a big if, no matter who the manufacturer is.

http://rocky06fs.forumco.com/topic~TOPIC_ID~986.asp

We really like the large front window, especially after I fixed the leak.

John U
2010 Born Free 22RSK
midnightpumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 09:32 AM   #3

I have a front window on my 8314 Rockwood and that is where the bed room is. I don't have a problem with the window leaking, but I do have a problem with condensate when the heat is on. I have found that the front wall is not insulated. The pillows and the top edge of the mattress gets wet if they are touching the interior wall. As far as the cabinets above, it is very cold in side but since the cabinet doors are closed and can not get any heat our clothes stay dry but cold. This is one reason I don't like camping when the temps get below 50 degrees at night, the camper is terriable when it comes to heat loss. Over time the camper develops oders from the condensate if it is not dried out quickly and all the cabinets, walls, floor and furniture will show signs of a moisture problems over time.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 10:45 AM   #4
Grape Escape

Never had a problem. Does your front window on your car leak?? Sounds like sales BS to me.
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 11:17 AM   #5
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
My suspicion is that the disappearance of front windows has more to do with design changes (Why are bedrooms suddenly in the front of the trailer?), and the manufacturers cheaping out or maybe trying to save a bit of weight.

My preference is to have a front living room with a sofa across the front of the trailer. I've never thought much of the idea of backing into a space and then not being able look out the front and see what is going on around me.

As far as leaks go, I've owned three trailers with front windows and have never had a problem. OTOH, I've always had a rockguard (fiberglass cover) on the windows. The way they are attached forms a gutter above the window and rain seldom comes in contact with the window itself.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 12:04 PM   #6

The leaks occur between the frame and the sideing of the trailer. I have had 3 trailers with front windows, 2 Dutchmen and the present Rockwood. All three have leaked until I re-sealed them myself.

John U
2010 Born Free 22RSK
Old 11-23-2008, 03:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood06 View Post
I have a front window on my 8314 Rockwood and that is where the bed room is. I don't have a problem with the window leaking, but I do have a problem with condensate when the heat is on. I have found that the front wall is not insulated. The pillows and the top edge of the mattress gets wet if they are touching the interior wall. As far as the cabinets above, it is very cold in side but since the cabinet doors are closed and can not get any heat our clothes stay dry but cold. This is one reason I don't like camping when the temps get below 50 degrees at night, the camper is terriable when it comes to heat loss. Over time the camper develops oders from the condensate if it is not dried out quickly and all the cabinets, walls, floor and furniture will show signs of a moisture problems over time.
FR has some of the higher R values of any of the TTs I have been researching. Has anyone else had these issues? I am happy to see that most people have not had window issues, but this condensation thing does not look good.
armadafrfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 04:07 PM   #8
Grape Escape

I have never seen any condensation. Caused by either cold weather camping or cooking without proper ventilation. Can be the only causes imo.
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 04:13 PM   #9

Smile

We have owned several trailers over the years with front windows. None of them ever leaked even though we had one for almost ten years. However, all had front bedrooms and the windows made it uncomfortable as the window coverings interfered with the bed pillows. Our current trailer has no window but has a headboard for the bed. It works better! We much prefer the front bedroom as it allows very large windows for the living room. We enjoy the panoramic view without even going outside!
edcaroleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 07:05 PM   #10
Cyber Phrenologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by armadafrfs View Post
FR has some of the higher R values of any of the TTs I have been researching.
I have spent many happy hours sealing up holes, leaks, etc that let outside air into my Rockwood 5th wheel, and I still do not have them all. Yes the R value of the floors, walls and roof are better than most, for what ever reason, cost mosty I suspect, your average RV is a really drafty place to be.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 08:44 PM   #11

This photo is the Rockwood/Flagstaff assembly line just before the front cap is installed and the window cutout made.

The same thing happens at the top rear of the trailer where the back wall curves to meet the roof. No wonder it's cold inside those cabinets!

John U
2010 Born Free 22RSK
Old 09-01-2009, 12:49 AM   #12
Computer Guy

Well i think it is a yearly job to go around and check for loose screws and recaulk where it needs it. when i bought the rockwood... i didn't think i was buying a quality model.

2019 Coachman Chaparral Lite 295BH

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Mega Cab Laramie 5.9 Diesel
Jimmy-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:53 AM   #13

I have a Flagstaff 29 footer and have have not had any problems with leaks on any window. The front window is in the kitchen and is used at stops of more than one night, and this trailer is two years old.

Life is something to do when you've finished breakfast
Chuck & Margie
Both Retired
08 2500HD Silverado 6.6L Duramax
Flagstaff 829fkss
Round Mound of Sound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 07:07 PM   #14

You all are scaring me. We are looking to buy the Flagstaff 831krss. I liked it as it seems like one big room, instead of a submarine where you have to go down the narrow halls. But I have never owned a TT this will be our first, to be used during our retirement.
goneagainmel#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 07:10 PM   #15

Never had a leak in mine and it was an 04 that we just sold.

Mike
MRimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 02:57 PM   #16
ARLO

Everyone of our trailers, except one, since 1985 had front windows. Seven in all from different manufacturers and not a one leaked. The only leaker we owned was a 2006 Holiday Rambler 29CKS without a front window. The whole trailer leaked so bad we had to sleep in our swimming trunks. The dealer had the trailer for 7 out of the 36 months that we owned it. Our 2010 829FKSS Flagstaff is, IMHO, put together much better. It has been pretty much trouble free.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 12:00 PM   #17

This is an old but interesting thread. At the camping show I was comparing the Flagstaff we ended up buying and a Jayco. The Jayco rep was there and when I asked him why his unit was better he instantly began attacking the Flagstaff instead of praising the Jayco. Among the many things he listed was the front window which he said leaks all the time, the frame which is pieced together and has holes cut in it to save money, the TV is actally a cheap computer monitor and if I looked under the dinette bench I would find they used "firewood" grade wood to put it together instead of the clear pine they used. When I went back to look at the Flagstaff I found a one piece solid frame, a full digital TV with a biult in tuner, and when I inspected the framing under the dinette I discovered a welded aluminum frame. Either the Jayco guy was a liar or did not know the competition but either way I scratched the Jayco off the list. I can only assume he doesn't know what he is talking about with the front window too. I also would rather see a large window on the back instead of the front but I am not worried about leaks as my first camper was 10 years old when I bought it and had a front window which never leaked. I did have the condensation issue with that one a previous poster had to the point the walls would be moist in the morning. I think the problem may have been lack of ventilation. It was only 19' and there were 4 of us plus a large dog. When it was cold I keft the roof vents closed to keep the heat in. I installed Maxx Air vent covers when I purchased my last camper so I could keep the covers open for ventilation. Never had condensation issues in that one! Did it have better insulation? maybe, but both had fiberglass sides. I'm bringing my new Flagstaff home in a couple weeks and have already ordered Maxx Airs for it.

Tags
flagstaff