Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2016, 06:09 AM   #1

Furnace circulation question? We have the 2 ac in our 8528 IKWS 5th wheel.

We used our furnance for the 1st time last night. It lights but the heat comes out of the round ceiling circular vents and the front ac. Very little if any out of the floor registers. It seems that to be heating up very slowly air is warm at best. We put thermostat on auto.
We bought it in Florida and they spent time on ac but very little on furnance.
We have the Coleman Mach thermostat with the Suburban furnance.

It's going to be cold again tonight and will need the furnance. Help!!!
OswegoLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 06:35 AM   #2

It sounds to me like you have the thermostat positioned so you are using the 'heat strips" in the A/C unit to heat the RV instead of the actual furnace. Is the sound of something running coming from the roof, or the wall/floor vent area when the furnace is turned on? Can you go outside and actually feel heat coming from the furnace vent/panel when you believe it's on? If you have the thermostat owners manual, read it, it should ensure your operating the system correctly. Let us know what you find out and we'll try to help with some addition ideas.
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 07:07 AM   #3

Just figured it out. I have 2 thermostats. One that runs the front bedroom and one that runs the back living area. I figured that since the furnance was near the bedroom that thermostat would control the heat. But it is the thermostat for the rear living area. One problem solved. Should the exhaust outside run warm when furnance is is on? Should probably be a yes. Nice to know We want freeze tonight.
Old 04-27-2016, 07:10 AM   #4

Yes, when the furnace is running, the outside vent/panel for the furnace will be warm.
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 08:23 AM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Another thing to note... you mentioned very little air out the floor registers.
Somewhat the nature of the beast on this particular floor plan. (ours is similar)

You'll get lots of furnace air out of the bedroom/bath registers and almost nothing out of the living room registers. The bed/bath are right above the furnace and blast but the living room ducts are clear on the other end of the camper and are poor at best.

Adding registers with dampeners in the bed/bath will help but do not completely close them or you may run the furnace up against the high heat limit switch.

Many have re-routed the ducts and/or replaced the ducting with other/better materials.
I've not had an opportunity to check mine yet.
We simply run an electric heater or fireplace (if so equipped) to keep that area warm.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 01:28 PM   #6

Wink Check under sink

We had a similar problem and found that under the kitchen sink where the water pipes and the drains come in, there was a large hole that was not sealed off. Also, that hoe went right through the heating ducting. They use expansion foam and sealed it off and now the Fifth wheel heats well.
phil falls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 03:12 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Some holes are there on purpose to allow residual heat to migrate into the lower bays to hear the plumbing and keep lines from freezing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 03:16 PM   #8

similar heating problem

I have a Flagstaff Classic Super Lite fiver and also have the same heating problem - too much heat in the bath and hallway and too little heat in the living room where you want it. If anyone out there has found a workable solution please let me know, cause I would like to try something to route the heat where I need it. Thanks, Shivering Big Dom
bigdom2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 03:31 PM   #9
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdom2016 View Post
I have a Flagstaff Classic Super Lite fiver and also have the same heating problem - too much heat in the bath and hallway and too little heat in the living room where you want it. If anyone out there has found a workable solution please let me know, cause I would like to try something to route the heat where I need it. Thanks, Shivering Big Dom
Get some floor registers with closable louvers and close them down. We replaced all of ours and close the ones in the lr & kitchen which forces the air into the bathroom & bedroom. Just the opposite problem you are having.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 03:33 PM   #10
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdom2016 View Post
There's been several posts about this. A search will find them.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, registers with dampeners in the bath and hallway does help but you'll likely need to drop the under belly and check the duct work that runs back there for kinks or damage and/or replace the inefficient flexible stuff with rigid ducting.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 03:41 PM   #11

Dom we found on cold nights last night was 26 degrees here that the fireplace and the furnace kept us warm. The fireplace was a great idea and we don't regret it at all. It uses electricity and saves on how long you have to use the furnace and Propane.

Tags
5th wheel, 8528, wheel, furnace