Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2019, 09:51 AM   #1

Furnace question

I am trying to find out what the furnace BTU out put is on the factory installed furnace for our 2018 Flagstaff 26FKSB. I cant find anything published on this. We are having a problem with not enough heat. Low air flow with very little heat coming from vents. Knowing what the BTU is may tell me if I need to replace it with a larger furnace. Problem is when it is 37 degrees outside we cant get the inside temperature. above 60 degrees inside our unit. Furnace will run continusely for over 3 hours using propane the whole time. The burner is on and the exterior exhaust seems to be normal (hot) Thanks for helping me trouble shoot this problem.
Stickmam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 09:57 AM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

You probably have a 30,000 BTU furnace.

It is very likely the furnace isn't the issue.

There are thousands of threads on poor air flow from crushed ducts, unhooked, ducts, not enough ducts... and well... you get the picture.

Before you think about purchasing a bigger furnace (that will burn even more propane) take a look at your ductwork (you may have to drop the enclosed underbelly) and/or think about supplementing the furnace with an electric space heater. (if on hook-ups)

Again, there are lots of posts on this subject.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 10:25 AM   #3

Yeah.. another fun one is rodent issues.

I just replaced all my ducts for that reason.

Is it all of the ducts with low volume or just a few? Might be good to inspect the furnace and inside. Did you pull the cover off? Does it look like the initial ductwork looks good?
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 10:29 AM   #4
Just as confused as you

Start by looking at the build sheet included in the packet you got from your dealer. The manufacturer, make and model numbers will be on this sheet. Also in the packet will be the owners manual for all of the appliances listed on the sheet.

I have to tell you that some build specific appliances, such as a fireplace, may be incorrectly listed on the sheet. Example, on my build sheet it lists my fireplace as WAY model F2611E serial 1929, which doesn't look like my fireplace. The actual fireplace is a Greystone model F2609E distributed by Way Interglobal Network. It's the same reseller but the fireplaces are made by different manufacturers.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 10:29 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
You probably have a 30,000 BTU furnace.

It is very likely the furnace isn't the issue.

There are thousands of threads on poor air flow from crushed ducts, unhooked, ducts, not enough ducts... and well... you get the picture.

Before you think about purchasing a bigger furnace (that will burn even more propane) take a look at your ductwork (you may have to drop the enclosed underbelly) and/or think about supplementing the furnace with an electric space heater. (if on hook-ups)

Again, there are lots of posts on this subject.
That is what I think. I took it back to the factory in Indiana. The service manager did an air flow test on the duct system and said it is normal. Sorry we cant help you. He told me he had been with Forest River for three years and has never seen this problem and that Forest River builds thousands of units and there quality control is so good and there is no problem with our heat. This guy also treated me like I was an idiot. He stared there was nothing they could do. Not what I expected from a large company. With the way I was treated by this guy. I this guy worked for me i would shoe him to the door on the spot and tell him not to come back. I will never trust or buy another product from Forest River again. In the mean time I will repair the unit myself. So any help with the repair is appreciated.
Old 04-11-2019, 10:38 AM   #6
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickmam View Post
That is what I think. I took it back to the factory in Indiana. The service manager did an air flow test on the duct system and said it is normal. Sorry we cant help you. He told me he had been with Forest River for three years and has never seen this problem and that Forest River builds thousands of units and there quality control is so good and there is no problem with our heat. This guy also treated me like I was an idiot. He stared there was nothing they could do. Not what I expected from a large company. With the way I was treated by this guy. I this guy worked for me i would shoe him to the door on the spot and tell him not to come back. I will never trust or buy another product from Forest River again. In the mean time I will repair the unit myself. So any help with the repair is appreciated.

There are owners, installation, and service manuals in the Library section of the forum. If your model is not listed I may have the documents you need. I will need the manufacturer and model number.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 03:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
There are owners, installation, and service manuals in the Library section of the forum. If your model is not listed I may have the documents you need. I will need the manufacturer and model number.
Thanks for the come back. I need to get on to work for now
Old 04-11-2019, 03:32 PM   #8
Site Team

Where did he measure air flow? If it ran for 3 hrs straight and the vents were blocked, it might over heat and shut down. Highly possible good heat /air flow out of furnace, but leaking from open or disconnected vents.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:57 AM   #9

Thank all for the trouble shooting advice. The end result is Forest River service found one duct with a loop in it so they took the loop out and replaced the furnace with a larger BTU 35000 Unit. It is going to be around 35 degrees tonight, good conditions to see if it is working, I still don't like the fact that the factory service manager told me there was nothing they could do and treated me like I am some sort of idiot and not willing to try to get to the cause of the problem. I wasn't looking for a fight. Just a solution to the problem.
Old 04-12-2019, 11:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickmam View Post
I am trying to find out what the furnace BTU out put is on the factory installed furnace for our 2018 Flagstaff 26FKSB. I cant find anything published on this. We are having a problem with not enough heat. Low air flow with very little heat coming from vents. Knowing what the BTU is may tell me if I need to replace it with a larger furnace. Problem is when it is 37 degrees outside we cant get the inside temperature. above 60 degrees inside our unit. Furnace will run continusely for over 3 hours using propane the whole time. The burner is on and the exterior exhaust seems to be normal (hot) Thanks for helping me trouble shoot this problem.
Remove the return air grill in front of the furnace. You should find a make and model # on the furnace.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace