Old 08-25-2013, 11:17 PM   #11
NELA

Amazingly, one of our park neighbors is a heat and ac tech. He explained the annealing process where a bath of oil is used. That oil burns off.
He's coming over tomorrow to check everything to be sure (of course we will pay him, and he explained the need to open all windows and let it burn off.

Aren't RVers amazing folks?
During PDI we were advised of "odor" but never smoke and screaming alarms.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:29 PM   #12

I want to thank everyone who offered help. I really appreciate it and once someone said oil burn off from annealing, it made sense.

Again, it really helped with peace of mind. Sorry it took so long for me to say something, but I don't write much here. THANK YOU ALL!

Old 08-29-2013, 10:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
Fritz is my other half. we've determined the sound in the nose *is* the regulator for the LP tanks.....turned all three stove burners on and the sound started again.

Everything seems OK at this point, more than 8 hours later. Not using the furnace as it's now probably in the high 80s here in Pigeon Forge. Won't use the furnace tonight either, just in case.

We're thinking it probably was burnoff the oils from manufacter. Interesting that it took 4 hours to do that and so didn't show up in the PDI.

If the temps drop that low again while we're here we'll use the fireplace or pick up a small electric heater. BTW, that furnace is an LP hog! One tank now totally empty .

Thanks for the feedback. It was an extremely frightening thing to have happen and we'll certainly have it checked out before our next trip.

FTR we *still* haven't heard from coach net. (eyeroll)

Something needs to be looked at. If your regulator is squealing like that, it is releasing to much gas too fast and is not 'regulating'.... the amount very well. A furnace will burn a lot of gas, but 1/2 tank in 4 hrs???? I would not use that furnace until it was looked over and maybe put a new regulator on the tanks.

I will not ever sleep in my unit with the furnace on. we have a small oscillating temp controlled space heater that we sit out in the middle of the floor to 'cut the chill'. I believe that it is safer (ie.family a sleep and fire or gas hazard) and I would rather use the campgrounds electricity than my gas.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:50 PM   #14
NELA

Brother Les,

We're having a problem with our electric tongue jack (bogs down and works when we tap it with a wrench...scared to death it's gonna drop the TT) so yes, we'll be taking it to the dealer soon, so I'll have 'em check the regulator and the furnace at that time.

We'll not be using the furnace until it's checked. When I said the tank was empty, I should have explained that that's the tank we've been using for five trips now, mostly for the fridge. Still, I'll take your advice and have it checked.

Had a day/nite shade on the floor when we arrived at the park in TN also. I figure I'll get a new one shipped and install that myself.

Also had the recalled lock take a crap on us in TN. Amazingly DH took it apart, put it back together and now it seems fine, but we've ordered the replacement.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:20 AM   #15

Quote:
Brother Les,

We're having a problem with our electric tongue jack (bogs down and works when we tap it with a wrench...scared to death it's gonna drop the TT) so yes, we'll be taking it to the dealer soon, so I'll have 'em check the regulator and the furnace at that time.

We'll not be using the furnace until it's checked. When I said the tank was empty, I should have explained that that's the tank we've been using for five trips now, mostly for the fridge. Still, I'll take your advice and have it checked.

Had a day/nite shade on the floor when we arrived at the park in TN also. I figure I'll get a new one shipped and install that myself.

Also had the recalled lock take a crap on us in TN. Amazingly DH took it apart, put it back together and now it seems fine, but we've ordered the replacement.

Do you have after market front scissor jacks. These will lift the TT up and hold it in place without the tongue jack. The 'factory' 'stabilizers' will NOT lift the TT or hold it up.... Never trust them (stabilizers) if you are working on your tongue jack. Can you check your tongue jack wires for good connections and no corrosion? You may also just have a 'grounding' issue with the jack to the frame. Get the pressure off of the tongue jack and run it up and down. How does it sound when going up and down with no pressure on it? Is it sticking, grinding? Does it need to be lubed? I have never been one to just Remove and Replace, if things are 'fixable'....

My motto is that: "if it has to be replaced, I want to make dang sure that it is broken.... even if I have to break it myself"

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:38 AM   #16

Quote:
Brother Les,

How did the (Restring)go with the other shade,or is this the same one? Youroo!!
Old 09-04-2013, 11:17 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
My motto is that: "if it has to be replaced, I want to make dang sure that it is broken.... even if I have to break it myself"
I never realized that was my motto, but I sure have done it a lot of times.
2013 - 15
Arefbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:54 PM   #18
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
How did the (Restring)go with the other shade,or is this the same one? Youroo!!
Same one. Decided, after checking out how it's mounted, that it'll be much more simple to just replace it....even if I have to pay for it myself. But now we need the jack checked and the furnace checked, so it'll most likely be their problem since we're taking it back anyway.

Brother Les;

We've not messed with it since we got home. We're going to pick up a couple of scissor jacks before we check it any further. As I said, I'm horrified to think it might drop.

Yes, I know the stabilizers will not support it.

IIFC it runs smoothly with no weight on it. (hitched to the TV) While raising it to hitch up, it actually sounds like "the batteries are dying in it". I'm just saying that's the sound it makes, *not* intimating there are batteries *in* the jack, lol. After a couple of times making that sound, the switch does nothing, until we tap on it, then it'll take off again. DH pulled the housing to check the wiring to the switch...all seems OK there.

Tags
furnace