Old 08-25-2013, 07:49 AM   #1

Furnace Smoke?

We had the furnace on last night and after 4-1/2 hours the smoke alarm went off. We were sleeping and the camper had filled with smoke. It sounds like a bearing has gone out in the nose in the area near the LP tanks. Does anyone know if the blower motor is located there?

Old 08-25-2013, 07:56 AM   #2
Mod free 5er

The blower motor is in the furnace, so wherever the furnace is located, you will find the blower. You need to state the make, year and model of your camper.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:30 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
The blower motor is in the furnace, so wherever the furnace is located, you will find the blower. You need to state the make, year and model of your camper.
We're in a 2014 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WIKSS
Old 08-25-2013, 09:05 AM   #4
Carknocker Family

By looking at pics, looks like your furnace is around the stove area. First time using it? Might just be burning manufacturing oils off. Noise around lp bottles is probably the regulators. Mine make noise when there is a high usage. I envy you in just thinking about using the heater. I figure thats 3 months away for me.
2017 Ram 2500
2014 Salem 32BHDS
Ida Ratherbe Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 02:47 PM   #5
NELA

Fritz is my other half. we've determined the sound in the nose *is* the regulator for the LP tanks.....turned all three stove burners on and the sound started again.

Everything seems OK at this point, more than 8 hours later. Not using the furnace as it's now probably in the high 80s here in Pigeon Forge. Won't use the furnace tonight either, just in case.

We're thinking it probably was burnoff the oils from manufacter. Interesting that it took 4 hours to do that and so didn't show up in the PDI.

If the temps drop that low again while we're here we'll use the fireplace or pick up a small electric heater. BTW, that furnace is an LP hog! One tank now totally empty .

Thanks for the feedback. It was an extremely frightening thing to have happen and we'll certainly have it checked out before our next trip.

FTR we *still* haven't heard from coach net. (eyeroll)

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:30 PM   #6

Hmmmm .... Thanks to this thread I know to look out for burn off from the furnace. That said there was never any hint of smoke from the furnace in the Jayco I just sold ....
2010 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3L | K&N filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
Wmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:47 PM   #7
Moderators' Assistant

dealers are supposed to advise new owners of the needed "burn-off" time for RV furnaces, during the PDI.
ours did and first thing i did when i got it home, was fire up the furnace, open all the windows, the door and the bunk ends to let it air out.
our alarms have never gone off when using the furnace since that.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:49 PM   #8
Carknocker Family

Glad that was all it was.
2017 Ram 2500
2014 Salem 32BHDS
Ida Ratherbe Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:21 PM   #9

Similar story. Expected a 41 degree night, so I turned on the furnace and set the tstat on 60 something. I was startled awake to an awful smell, and the smoke detector screeching. We have had so many problems with our new MH that DW mentioned more than once that she hoped it did not catch fire while we were sleeping.

I sat up and could see there was no fire, and I recognized the exchanger oil smell. DW was groggy, with no glasses to verify our safety. In her panic she firmly kicked me in the back while trying to exit the bed, screaming "hurry up" assuming we trying to flee with two kids from a MH fire. While I wasn't fond of the kick, at least I know I can count on her to move out fast if there is a real emergency.

Two nights later, with all appaliances off, we were greated to a (false) CO alarm. I was out of bed in seconds
Old 08-25-2013, 09:27 PM   #10

Our new RV 2 years ago did the same when we used the furnace the first time. Those smoke alarms are super sensitive in a tight space like an RV.

The dealer told us in our PDI that we might get some odour the first time we used it but never said it might set off the smoke alarm.

2011 F150 SuperCrew 5.0 4x4
2012 Flagstaff 27BESS
pappcam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace