Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2016, 12:53 PM   #1

Furrion 48 backup observation camera...

Have been reading some backup camera threads and someone wrote that their pre-wired observation camera for their fw wouln't work unless they had their truck in reverse. I'm pretty sure my plug to camper doesn't have a reverse wire in it. So are these cameras prewired from factory to be on when running lights are on so I can use the observation camera driving down the road? Hoping I can just put it in preinstalled mount from factory and it will work. I ordered a Forestriver 5th wheel. THX
mikdor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 10:50 PM   #2

Mine works with the running lights on. Woks great to let you know when you cleared someone your passing.

H2onut58
2016 Forest River 8528 IKWS
2012 RAM 1500, crew cab, 5.7 Hemi, air bags, 10 ply tires
h2onut58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 11:10 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to B and B
I wired mine to 12V and it is on all the time. I have the in motion capable system.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 10:12 AM   #4

You should be able to wire it to either!
RV_Fan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 02:47 PM   #5

Furrion FOS48TABK-BL kit

We installed this camera into the factory mount at the rear of our 8529IKBS 5th wheel and it is working fine,
It was plug and play except on our trailer it is wired through the lighting circuit and lights need to be to get power to the camera.
Although daylight viewing is great we get a lot of headlight glare at night and cannot see the cars coming up on us very well.
We tried adjusting brightness and contrast but no amount of adjusting would fix the problem.
I talked to Furrion and they advised me to change the angle of the camera down a little more and informed me that there is even a little adjustment to the lens itself.
I have yet to try these fixes but will do so in the near future to see if it takes care of the problem.
Beauty and Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 05:42 PM   #6

I installed this camera n our 8289 WS and often lose connection. Seems when inactive for a while it will come back on. Screen is too small but otherwise is ok.
gen3rbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 11:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty and Beast View Post
I talked to Furrion and they advised me to change the angle of the camera down a little more and informed me that there is even a little adjustment to the lens itself.
Can you tell us how to adjust the lens? I like mine, but the lens seems to be a bit off center. The red/yellow/green distance marks on straight on the passenger/right side but angle out into the next lane on the other... It's on my list of things to look at - eventually...
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 05:12 PM   #8

Antenna Polarity

These backup and observation camera systems operate on 433MHz (a UHF frequency band) and use a dipole antenna for both the transmitter and receiver. One very significant characteristic of a dipole antenna (those little stick looking thingys) is that they transmit/receive a linear polarized signal. No test to follow, but you must understand the following to insure you get the best performance (range and fidelity) from your system.

The signal strength emitted from the transmitting antenna looks like a donut placed over the antenna. A donut on the stick if you will. This means that the strongest signal is emitted perpendicular to the antenna and the weakest where the antenna is pointed (both ends). The same is true for the receiving antenna. Do not point either antenna at the other!

Also, the radiated signal is polarized. That means that both antennas must be parallel to each other for best performance. Like this:

I and I, or / and /, or _ and _

Do not have the antennas at right angles to each other like this:

I and _, or / and \.

The difference in proper antenna orientation is significant and could mean the difference between the need for a signal booster or not, or a usable picture or a snowy one.

Ted
TandSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 10:28 AM   #9

Good information but I thought that these cameras operated on the 2.4Ghz band.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
2017 Alpine 3401RS - 2016 Ram 3500 Laramie 4x4, CC, LWB, Aisin

Ddubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 11:28 AM   #10
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddubya View Post

They do. From the users manual...

Camera - Monitor

Voltage: DC8-30V - DC8-30V
Current: ≤300mA - ≤200mA
Standby Current ≤1mA
Wireless Range ≤300M (outdoors) - ≤300M (outdoors)
Wireless Frequency 2.4Ghz
Image Sensor 1/4” Color CMOS VGA
LCD Display 4.3” 480*272
Camera Max 25frames/sec VGA
f1.7mm, F2.0

IR
View Distance ≥1.5m
Brightness ≥ 2Lux

Receiver Sensitivity 78±3dBm

Working Temperature 10/+50 10/+50

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 12:04 PM   #11

Waiting for mine to arrive from Wal Mart online. They were on sale for $289.00 so I grabbed one. Not sure if they still are (on sale).

I'm planning on splicing into the running lights for operation as my unit is not pre wired. I usually run with my running lights on anyway in the daytime and the antenna position (as posted previously) is good to know. I'm electronically challenged.

Should be nice to observe tailgaters and observe my trailer with the quads out back to make sure everything is lashed down tight and not bouncing down the highway....
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 09:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddubya View Post

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
2017 Alpine 3401RS - 2016 Ram 3500 Laramie 4x4, CC, LWB, Aisin
Quite right and sorry for the confusion. In any case, dipolar antenna propagation is the same regardless of frequency. Hopefully this will help someone having a connection problem.
TandSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 04:19 PM   #13

I have the Furion driving camera, not the back-up version, it is color. I bought it because the camper was wired for it and we were driving about 1100 miles to pick up the camper so I didn't want to mess with something that required a lot of effort. I paid around $280 for the camera and receiver.

The wiring is connected to the driving lights on the camper, which means if they are on the camera is on. The receiver is a 4" screen, yes smaller than most cell phones. I mounted mine, with the suction cup, right under the rear view mirror as that is where my eyes tend to go when I want to see what is behind me.

It's OK. If you are looking for clarity and want to read license plates, not the best set-up. It claims it can be used for backing up, but the lens is designed so you can view what is behind you, wide angle, not to judge distances. I cannot imagine being able to backup with it other than avoiding large objects. The camera itself is vertically adjustable, so you can set it to look down at the bumper of your camper or behind the camper. I left mine as horizontal as I could.

For driving it was exactly what I was looking for, something to see what was directly behind me. It's not really needed in that your mirrors should cover anything when it comes to changing lanes, but it helps not being a nuisance driver in that you can see what is coming up behind you and not pulling into the lane or if you are holding up a line of cars, or whatever reason you might need to see what is behind you when going forward. It also was extremely helpful at a couple of tight gas stations where I had to backup, normally the wife has to get out to make sure I don't run over a kid, but you can see what is behind in those situations where you have to back up a bit to get out of a tight spot.

The receiver worked well, rarely lost imagine and if it did, only for a second. I don't know what frequency it uses, but it lost image much more frequently in the city than in the county, I am assuming interference with other devises. in 1100 miles I never lost imagine when I needed it, it did what it was suppose to do. The receiver also has imagine controls that I had to adjust a couple times, at dusk and at dawn as the brightness and contrast need to be adjusted heavily, but it's fairly easy and something that the co-pilot should be doing for you. It plugs into a cigarette lighter socket. Mine connected first time, but remember you have to have your vehicle tow light on to send power to the camera.

There are way better system for cheaper, but the convenience of removing two screws, plugin in the camera and screwing it in cannot be beat. You will need a ladder to add/remove the camera. I would call it an expensive adequate camera. If I were to install myself, I would get a much larger screen, 4" is adequate at best.

I bought an extra 'socket' that I keep planning to put above my camper door so I can see who/what is outside. Otherwise the camera is only used when on the road and seems like such a waste. It has some sort of invisible light so that you can see at night I think it would be a perfect door camera. I think that extra socket was $20.

Side note, in Kansas City, were we in stop and go traffic for about a half hour and were fascinated with what the folks were doing in the cars behind us. It's so funny what people do when they don't think anyone can see and because of the height, you see right down into the car of the person directly behind you. On the road they are too far back.
ScottW713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 07:08 PM   #14

Mine showed up this morning. I have to mount it, no issue. My unit is inside my heated farm shop.

Being a retired trucker, I could write literally pages of stuff I've seen people doing in their cars, driving down the road, most of the stuff isn't suitable forum however....

I have to 'pair the camera' to the screen. I see the power cord has an extra outlet so you can plug in the camera inside your vehicle and 'pair' it. Nice feature.

The instructions are very simplistic but then it's not a complex install anyway.

Doing a bunch of mods to the unit this winter anyway. Adding a second battery, solar panel and controller and my purchased last summer Xantrex Pro Sine inverter.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 12:16 PM   #15

I’m looking at installing a furrion four camera system on a forest River 2506S my question is the one over the door needs power as a security camera, without running lights on. I was thinking about wiring into orange porch light that the power is switched. Any good ideas?
Larry Bill is offline   Reply With Quote