Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2013, 08:29 PM   #21
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh707 View Post
Pulled the panel box. Fuse number 2. There are the 3 wires connected together and a pigtail(i believe thats what it is callee, single wire running from the three to the panel). Alll three grounds looked ok so i removed the three wires from each other including grounds, them hooked them on by one to the panel ( using same pig tail, making sure the right grounds were hooked also). All three short each their turn. Just realized that i used the same pigtain for each test, cant believe that was the problem...could it (defective wire-pigtail)?
You just might have found the problem. Try a new pigtail.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:33 PM   #22

Quote:
Pulled the panel box. Fuse number 2. There are the 3 wires connected together and a pigtail(i believe thats what it is callee, single wire running from the three to the panel). Alll three grounds looked ok so i removed the three wires from each other including grounds, them hooked them on by one to the panel ( using same pig tail, making sure the right grounds were hooked also). All three short each their turn. Just realized that i used the same pigtain for each test, cant believe that was the problem...could it (defective wire-pigtail)?
I really can't see how that could cause a short, but replacing it would be an easy check.
Sure is a bit of a mystery.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:40 PM   #23

Thank you for your time guys , i ll check that tomorrow evening. In the meantime if anyone has any orher suggestion, i m all ears
Marsh707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:42 PM   #24
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Thank you for your time guys , i ll check that tomorrow evening. In the meantime if anyone has any orher suggestion, i m all ears
The pigtail is the only thing in common with all 3 isn't it? How about a picture?
Old 07-12-2013, 08:52 PM   #25

It is the only thing i can think of. The grounds are all connected behind the panel and other circuit have no problems. I would love for it to be so simple but the pigtail looks fine ...will grab another wire tomorrow and give it a try. As for the pics, i can take some shots at the same time.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:03 PM   #26

Quote:
It is the only thing i can think of. The grounds are all connected behind the panel and other circuit have no problems. I would love for it to be so simple but the pigtail looks fine ...will grab another wire tomorrow and give it a try. As for the pics, i can take some shots at the same time.
I went out to my fifth, as it is the same year as yours, but noticed right away the wiring must be quite different, as my #2 is for something else.
There was nothing that looked like a potential problem, but you can't see much from the front.
What you need is a continuity tester, so you can check each wire for a short. If you removed the bulbs from the lights, and the supply wire(s) still had continuity, then you found the short.
But I am just a basement electrician, so take that for what its worth!
Old 07-13-2013, 01:38 PM   #27

Yes! Isolated the problem. Line leading to the livingroom slideout. Now ill have to locate the short. Thanks to all. Does anyone know how the wire leads to the slideout. I can see the wire go up the slideout exterior wall i guess the wire runs in a sub floor? Is there any kind of wire support beneath the floor such as pulley or anything else. Cqn i simply attach a new wire and fish it through the sub floor.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:44 PM   #28
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Yes! Isolated the problem. Line leading to the livingroom slideout. Now ill have to locate the short. Thanks to all. Does anyone know how the wire leads to the slideout. I can see the wire go up the slideout exterior wall i guess the wire runs in a sub floor? Is there any kind of wire support beneath the floor such as pulley or anything else. Cqn i simply attach a new wire and fish it through the sub floor.
Mine had a short to the OH light in the slide and found out one of the bottom trim screws was touching it going up the wall on the outside. Wires on mine are on the bottom of the slide and go up the rear outside wall. Pulled the screw, cut it off about 1/2", rounded it, pulled the wire down and taped it and put it all back together.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:55 PM   #29

I was wondering if the action of the slideout caught your wiring and pulled it enough to the point it pulled and damaged the wire you found skinned in your light.

I'd get someone to watch the wire at the light while you gently tugged on the wire under the slideout to see if there was any movement at the light.

I don't know how RVs are wired, if staples are used or if there are channels to secure the wiring.
Hudlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:07 PM   #30
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudlow View Post
I was wondering if the action of the slideout caught your wiring and pulled it enough to the point it pulled and damaged the wire you found skinned in your light.

I'd get someone to watch the wire at the light while you gently tugged on the wire under the slideout to see if there was any movement at the light.

I don't know how RVs are wired, if staples are used or if there are channels to secure the wiring.
On mine, the wires are inside a flex tube, wire tied to it and secured at the end with a clamp and then goes up an alum tube in the frame. Trim screw also goes into the same tube. Wire doesn't move.
Old 07-13-2013, 02:29 PM   #31

I can see on the outside beneath the slideout the plastic flextube with the wire inside. Mine too is secured with a clap and runs up the wall inside an aluminum tube. Every thing seems ok at this point(although i cut and repaired the wire where it passed theough the clap since it seemed crushed. Attached the right ends. The problem seems to be somewhere between the fuse box and this exterior place. Do you think i can pull it from the outside while attaching a new wire at the end on the inside, therefore fishing a new wire. Under the slideout it runs inside the slideout rails and then i dont know where since my fiver has the exterior tank heater option and is therefor covered. Here is a pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4156533364.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	35250   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1227140463.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	35251  
Old 07-13-2013, 02:33 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Mine had a short to the OH light in the slide and found out one of the bottom trim screws was touching it going up the wall on the outside. Wires on mine are on the bottom of the slide and go up the rear outside wall. Pulled the screw, cut it off about 1/2", rounded it, pulled the wire down and taped it and put it all back together.
Pictures?
Old 07-13-2013, 02:40 PM   #33

Are they not attached to the last message? I thought i sent them, wiil try again, here goes

Name:	image-949959830.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	35252

Name:	image-833823864.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	35253
Old 07-13-2013, 02:48 PM   #34
Mod free 5er

Here is how mine are routed and secured. Also shows the added alum reinforcement similar to the one on the front. The first white headed screw on the bottom was the culprit on mine.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00395.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	35256   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00396.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	35257   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00397.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	35258   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00398.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	35259  
Old 07-13-2013, 02:57 PM   #35

Quote:
2 weeks ago we fished a camera wire to the back of our trailer through the under belly and and from what I seen they used wire loom stubbed into the under belly then the wires where run free air. Open up the under belly closest to your panel and go from there.
Old 07-13-2013, 03:06 PM   #36
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Might want to start with the slide light fixture and replace those first. It might be at the fixture too.
Old 07-13-2013, 03:09 PM   #37

Lopks like ill have to try, since i am pretty sure the problem lies somewhere underneath. I just cut the wir wher it starts up the wall and it looks just fine . Do you remember how to open her up without to much trouble. I would never have thought they would be just hanging loose under there.
Old 07-13-2013, 03:29 PM   #38

The panels under there are just screwed to the frame and beams.