Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2013, 09:29 PM   #21
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh707 View Post
Pulled the panel box. Fuse number 2. There are the 3 wires connected together and a pigtail(i believe thats what it is callee, single wire running from the three to the panel). Alll three grounds looked ok so i removed the three wires from each other including grounds, them hooked them on by one to the panel ( using same pig tail, making sure the right grounds were hooked also). All three short each their turn. Just realized that i used the same pigtain for each test, cant believe that was the problem...could it (defective wire-pigtail)?
You just might have found the problem. Try a new pigtail.
__________________

__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:33 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh707 View Post
Pulled the panel box. Fuse number 2. There are the 3 wires connected together and a pigtail(i believe thats what it is callee, single wire running from the three to the panel). Alll three grounds looked ok so i removed the three wires from each other including grounds, them hooked them on by one to the panel ( using same pig tail, making sure the right grounds were hooked also). All three short each their turn. Just realized that i used the same pigtain for each test, cant believe that was the problem...could it (defective wire-pigtail)?
I really can't see how that could cause a short, but replacing it would be an easy check.
Sure is a bit of a mystery.
__________________

__________________
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:40 PM   #23
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 19
Thank you for your time guys , i ll check that tomorrow evening. In the meantime if anyone has any orher suggestion, i m all ears
__________________
Marsh707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:42 PM   #24
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh707 View Post
Thank you for your time guys , i ll check that tomorrow evening. In the meantime if anyone has any orher suggestion, i m all ears
The pigtail is the only thing in common with all 3 isn't it? How about a picture?
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:52 PM   #25
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 19
It is the only thing i can think of. The grounds are all connected behind the panel and other circuit have no problems. I would love for it to be so simple but the pigtail looks fine ...will grab another wire tomorrow and give it a try. As for the pics, i can take some shots at the same time.
__________________
Marsh707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:03 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh707 View Post
It is the only thing i can think of. The grounds are all connected behind the panel and other circuit have no problems. I would love for it to be so simple but the pigtail looks fine ...will grab another wire tomorrow and give it a try. As for the pics, i can take some shots at the same time.
I went out to my fifth, as it is the same year as yours, but noticed right away the wiring must be quite different, as my #2 is for something else.
There was nothing that looked like a potential problem, but you can't see much from the front.
What you need is a continuity tester, so you can check each wire for a short. If you removed the bulbs from the lights, and the supply wire(s) still had continuity, then you found the short.
But I am just a basement electrician, so take that for what its worth!
__________________
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:38 PM   #27
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 19
Yes! Isolated the problem. Line leading to the livingroom slideout. Now ill have to locate the short. Thanks to all. Does anyone know how the wire leads to the slideout. I can see the wire go up the slideout exterior wall i guess the wire runs in a sub floor? Is there any kind of wire support beneath the floor such as pulley or anything else. Cqn i simply attach a new wire and fish it through the sub floor.
__________________
Marsh707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:44 PM   #28
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh707 View Post
Yes! Isolated the problem. Line leading to the livingroom slideout. Now ill have to locate the short. Thanks to all. Does anyone know how the wire leads to the slideout. I can see the wire go up the slideout exterior wall i guess the wire runs in a sub floor? Is there any kind of wire support beneath the floor such as pulley or anything else. Cqn i simply attach a new wire and fish it through the sub floor.
Mine had a short to the OH light in the slide and found out one of the bottom trim screws was touching it going up the wall on the outside. Wires on mine are on the bottom of the slide and go up the rear outside wall. Pulled the screw, cut it off about 1/2", rounded it, pulled the wire down and taped it and put it all back together.
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:55 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 177
I was wondering if the action of the slideout caught your wiring and pulled it enough to the point it pulled and damaged the wire you found skinned in your light.

I'd get someone to watch the wire at the light while you gently tugged on the wire under the slideout to see if there was any movement at the light.

I don't know how RVs are wired, if staples are used or if there are channels to secure the wiring.
__________________
Hudlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 03:07 PM   #30
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudlow View Post
I was wondering if the action of the slideout caught your wiring and pulled it enough to the point it pulled and damaged the wire you found skinned in your light.

I'd get someone to watch the wire at the light while you gently tugged on the wire under the slideout to see if there was any movement at the light.

I don't know how RVs are wired, if staples are used or if there are channels to secure the wiring.
On mine, the wires are inside a flex tube, wire tied to it and secured at the end with a clamp and then goes up an alum tube in the frame. Trim screw also goes into the same tube. Wire doesn't move.
__________________

__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:59 AM.