Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2014, 04:37 PM   #1

Genesis sound system problems

I have a 2012 Flagstaff 5th wheel. My Genesis sound systems seems to have bit the dust. It is hard to turn on, taking several attempts. Afterward it is hard to turn off, taking several attempts. When we try to change modes it also takes several attempts to make the switch. The remote had never worked on it.
Has anyone else had problems like these? I have an appointment where I bought it to get it looked at. I have a 7 year warranty and hope there isn't any fine print making me foot the bill.

Thanks for any replies.
Old 09-05-2014, 05:37 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thwheel View Post
I have a 2012 Flagstaff 5th wheel. My Genesis sound systems seems to have bit the dust. It is hard to turn on, taking several attempts. Afterward it is hard to turn off, taking several attempts. When we try to change modes it also takes several attempts to make the switch. The remote had never worked on it.
Has anyone else had problems like these? I have an appointment where I bought it to get it looked at. I have a 7 year warranty and hope there isn't any fine print making me foot the bill.

Thanks for any replies.
I have had "hard start" and "hard stop" problems with my previous Genesis 3.0 unit but ignored it thinking it must be line-of-sight problems between the remote and the head unit. Then the radio stopped picking up stations and the dealership replaced the head unit and remote under warranty. It is nice when it is working but it is essentially a POS. So far the replacement one is working fine.
2010 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3L | K&N filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
Wmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 05:53 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

Had the entire system replaced 3 times on our 08 Flagstaff and the 3rd one was DOA when we traded it off. So far, our 12 Flagstaff is still working altho' the remote works better when pointed on the sloping ceiling toward the unit.
Old 09-05-2014, 06:59 PM   #4

I am on Genesis radio unit five in 1 1/2 years! The second year factory extended warranty does offer radio coverage.
l001952119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:11 PM   #5

Cool

Thanks everyone for your replies. Kind of figured the Genesis product was not very good. Hope my dealer gets if replaced quickly before my next camping trip.
Old 09-05-2014, 07:36 PM   #6

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
The best way to repair a Genesis is to replace it with something else. Most people go with a car DVD unit. I installed a home receiver to better suit my needs.
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 08:57 PM   #7

Therein lies the problem. My Genesis 3.0 supports 5.1 surround sound, DVD HD video,, Bluetooth, etc. Is there a car DVD unit will all the same features including supporting the 3 zone speakers? If I should find such a unit I would switch in a flash.
Old 09-06-2014, 12:03 AM   #8

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
When I was looking at car DVD players, my want list/requirements included 5.1 sound, digital A/V input for my media player (preferably HDMI), HD video output (preferably HDMI), and on screen menu's. I never found one with these features so I went with a home receiver and am very happy.
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 04:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmoses View Post
Therein lies the problem. My Genesis 3.0 supports 5.1 surround sound, DVD HD video,, Bluetooth, etc. Is there a car DVD unit will all the same features including supporting the 3 zone speakers? If I should find such a unit I would switch in a flash.
Genesis is the only 12v system on the market that will do that. Chruchfield are the main people who supply them. Forget the Genesis web site. You can never reach anyone or do they answer emails. Bob Fields who use to be the rep. is no longer with them. He even told me when he was working was to call Chruchfield electronics. But that is what they boast the only 12v system on the market that can do all that...Good luck. even if you did find something else then you have a big whole to deal with. Every time I go to the Rally I ask for some touch up stain and they always say they don't have any to match.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 09:17 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Genesis is the only 12v system on the market that will do that. Chruchfield are the main people who supply them. Forget the Genesis web site. You can never reach anyone or do they answer emails. Bob Fields who use to be the rep. is no longer with them. He even told me when he was working was to call Chruchfield electronics. But that is what they boast the only 12v system on the market that can do all that...Good luck. even if you did find something else then you have a big whole to deal with. Every time I go to the Rally I ask for some touch up stain and they always say they don't have any to match.
This is GREAT information - thanks. I agree that the Concertone (?) website for Genesis is cr*p and knew about the helpful and knowledgeable "Bob Fields" and that he had moved on. Did not know that Crutchfield were now the distributors (?) for the Genesis.

Here is the Crutchfield web page. As a Cutchfield customer, I can attest that they are a great outfit to deal with.

I had a feeling that Genesis would be the only unit on the market that did both 12V/110V and with all the features that it touts. I just wished that the quality was better and that it was easier to use. It can't be just me that finds its operation somewhat onerous, what with several multi-function buttons being the biggest design "flaw".