Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2014, 09:06 AM   #1
GC

GFCI outlet

2014 Flagstaff 832IKbs
Had a power surge and now the gfi in kitchen/entryway won't reset. Has power coming into it
But 3 outlets don't work.
I'm thinking of replacing the outlet but not sure if it needs to come from rv parts or can it be purchased at Lowes/Home Depot. It has a little red light on it and says 3 pole.
Any thought are appreciated.
Gary
Old 05-09-2014, 09:12 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Lowes home cheapo units are preferred.
Rv units are cheap crap

TURBS

Sabre owners united!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:21 AM   #3
Site Team - Lou

There are circuits in the GFCI that determine if it should be allowed to pass power to the outlets and all downstream outlets. These can be damaged.

However, before you replace it, press the reset button (sometimes in red; other times in outlet color and not easily seen). If it snaps in you are good to go).

There is also a test button that should be checked/pressed monthly.
It should pop the GFCI reset button; just press it back in after the test.

Oh, I have also seen plugs that are oddly shaped that can press on the test button and cause the outlet to malfunction (not work).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gfci15iv.jpg
Views:	1450
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	52032  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 01:29 PM   #4

GFCI outlet

Did you check your main breaker? When was running my two electric heaters the main would pop when something else kicked in. Seems they ran every GFI on the same breaker.
Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
Slympicins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 05:22 PM   #5
GC

Replaced the GFCI and all the other outlets now work.
Fried the coffee pot, fan, blender. TV was smoking but seems to work. Will keep an eye on it for a few days along with everything else. Could have been a lot worse.

Thank you everyone.
Gary
Old 05-09-2014, 05:40 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by garycarson View Post
Replaced the GFCI and all the other outlets now work.
Fried the coffee pot, fan, blender. TV was smoking but seems to work. Will keep an eye on it for a few days along with everything else. Could have been a lot worse.

Thank you everyone.
Gary
Do you have a surge suppressor?
Im not sure how a gfci can fry anything?
Maybe someone with more knowledge can explain.

TURBS

Sabre owners united!
Old 05-09-2014, 05:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Do you have a surge suppressor?
Im not sure how a gfci can fry anything?
Maybe someone with more knowledge can explain.

TURBS

Sabre owners united!
Sounds like GFCI was only one of six items fried at the same time. Lightning strike or power supply briefly out of control, gen set or Power Co.?
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 06:08 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
Sounds like GFCI was only one of six items fried at the same time. Lightning strike or power supply briefly out of control, gen set or Power Co.?
Thats what I'm thinking.

TURBS

Sabre owners united!
Old 05-09-2014, 06:18 PM   #9

before u go buy another gfci, pull the old one and see how much space u have to work with. my trailer is 2002 and the reg outlets have their own cover on them so that they don't have to be installed in a box. a gfci may be the same for a trailer. i would take the existing gfci with me and compare it to the new one. u may not have enough depth in the "wall" to install another type (assuming they are different).

they usually run other outlets from the gfci. i have at least two other that are strung off the gfci. my gfci is in the kitchen and it controls the outlet in the bathroom and i believe one other.
mark the wires u disconnect from the gfci and what terminals they are attached to on the gfci. one will come from ur breaker box and the other will go to the other outlets.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 06:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimh View Post
before u go buy another gfci, pull the old one and see how much space u have to work with. my trailer is 2002 and the reg outlets have their own cover on them so that they don't have to be installed in a box. a gfci may be the same for a trailer. i would take the existing gfci with me and compare it to the new one. u may not have enough depth in the "wall" to install another type (assuming they are different).

they usually run other outlets from the gfci. i have at least two other that are strung off the gfci. my gfci is in the kitchen and it controls the outlet in the bathroom and i believe one other.
mark the wires u disconnect from the gfci and what terminals they are attached to on the gfci. one will come from ur breaker box and the other will go to the other outlets.
Jim,

Post 5 he changed the outlet, like you I wondered if the outlet was deep enough, I guess it was!
Old 05-09-2014, 06:50 PM   #11

yeah, i read thru them too fast and missed that. sorry.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:27 PM   #12

Sounds like a power surge that just happened to take out a GFI at the same time. Yes it could have been worse.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1399681643.160655.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	52077
Got one to prevent that from happening.
Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
Slympicins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 06:05 PM   #13
GC

Wife just said she very quickly ran out of hot water. Water Heater is on elect.
Could it have been partially fried?
Also now wondering about the fridge. It's set to automatic. If the element is fried and not working, would it switch to propane?
Old 05-10-2014, 06:47 PM   #14

GFCI outlet

Any possibility 220VAC was connected in error? Reefer heater and water heater elements are calrod or similar heavy duty stuff can withstand surge levels approaching lightning strike. Reefer may have been damaged in 12V controls? Yes gas should start on auto
Old 05-10-2014, 09:39 PM   #15

make sure the breaker is not tripped. try shutting the water heater off then turning it back on (at the breaker in ur breaker box). there should be a reset that can be pushed on the water heater. usually covered with rubber. should be marked.
the fridge I would do the same. it should have automatically switched to propane.
ur control boards should have survived sense they run off the battery. would take quiet a surge to make it thru the converter and not be absorbed by the battery.
the water heater would not automatically switch over but u should have a switch inside somewhere that u can turn the gas on.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:59 PM   #16

garycarson. on the hw heater... has it worked properly sense it was dewinterized? a bypass left open can do that.
Old 05-18-2014, 04:02 AM   #17

GFCI outlets will save your life! They are made to kick off at the slightest power going to ground or the neutral. By electrical code they must be used near water; sinks, pools, pumps...rule of thumb is if you can touch a water outlet and a electrical outlet it must be a GFCI. When you buy one...read the enclosed instructions as its very important to connect it properly.
Toyota Tundra
SparkeyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 05:48 AM   #18

Since you said: "Fried the coffee pot, fan, blender. TV was smoking but seems to work," this smells suspiciously like a neutral problem. If your RV or the place you are getting power from has a bad connection in the neutral circuit, the voltage can jump from 120 to 240 and will fry any 120 volt items that are on the line. That's why you want one of these: EMS-HW50C

If you are still plugged into the same location, I would do some serious investigation before anything else is fried. If at an RV campground, ask maintenance to check the receptacle and connections. You should also disconnect from the power source and check all of your connections. These RVs experience a lot of vibration as they travel down the road and connections can and will loosen over time.

2012 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Touring Edition
2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Joe_GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 07:04 AM   #19
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_GA View Post
These RVs experience a lot of vibration as they travel down the road and connections can and will loosen over time.
This is a great point. Normally, these issues are seen at campground's 50 amp service pedestal where the white neutral wire loses continuity, but it can just as easily be caused by the same issues at the incoming neutral's connection on your 50 amp converter's neutral buss bar.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:27 PM   #20

A GFCI will save your life. Most of the time the "primary" GFCI will be in the bath room. If you push the test button other receptacles down the line will also go off....they should. One GFCI receptacle will support 3-4 others. NOTICE do not use other GFCI receptacles after the primary receptacle, if you do they will not function properly. READ the instructions that come with the GFCI or look on Youtube.
Toyota Tundra
SparkeyBob is offline   Reply With Quote